Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications Watch

Lintu93
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by angelbones)
I brought in Utilitarianism, because the extract mentioned "the highest good", and rambled about that for a good page.
Talked about how the bible is still taken literally but is thought by many to be outdated and how some bits are already disregarded (like Leviticus).

Kinda dreading results now
Ahh utilitarianism! I missed that one out! But I mentioned most of the others so hopefully that'll be alright. But the bible sounds like a pretty good thing to mention
monkeyonthelake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well considering I hadn't properly looked at Westphal before Tuesday afternoon and I was really hoping it wasn't him... I was rather surprised to find myself walking out of the exam smiling!

It just so happens that it was the paragraph which needed all the stuff I knew! (From looking at it the night before and I already knew about Marx etc...).
Seems like there might be some force out there that likes me after all... that was lucky.

Thank my mother for making me look at it despite my blind hoping for Ayer. I would have been in so much trouble if I hadn't looked at it.

Now the wait for the exam results... that will be uncomfortable.
kylerobo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lintu93)
Same, I blagged my way through the entire thing. In fact, I don't think I've ever blagged so much in my life! What other sort of things did you mention? I just linked in pretty much every ethical theory I could think of.
I wrote about Utilitarianism, Natural Moral Law, Virtue Ethics and Situation Ethics then talked about how Anscombe and Keenan thought virtue centred morality was a better way of living etc.

For the cultural relativism bit I mentioned Protagoris and de facto values, brought in Fletcher and about the divorce law, abortion and the pill and how there is not one definite way of living.

For part b I mentioned how Montaigne said we cant live up to Christian standards e.g. altruism shown by Jesus' sacrifice; maybe we cant live up to these ideals as we are self interested as argued by Hobbes?

Then about how Kai Neilson argued for cultural relativism then refuted that with Owen I think. Mentioned religion and morality too and G.E. Moore.

Implication was how do we know what God is saying is good- along that lines.

Those are the things I remember off the top of my head!
History Geek!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LibbyU)
anyone else doing jamieson, la follette and schneewind? and how are people revising for this exam?

I am! I'm working my way through past papers and my teacher has highlighted sections from each article which she think may come up. Also, I've made a big table with all of the key points on, from each article, whilst comparing them to each other and wider knowledge. I have also done "donut" as my teacher calls it, which consists on 3 circles inside each other, and you look at each article separately, and the impact of that ethical approach e.g- Lafollette's argument on treating intimates the same or as strangers (draw a line down the middle; separating the arguments). Then look at the impact on the individual of both arguments, the impact if a community/society adopted this belief and finally, the impact globally. This is useful for part b. Hope this makes sense. How are
you revising?
BTW, I HATE THE SCHNEEWIND ARTICLE- I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT:'(!

Anyway, hope that helps
moko
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is anyone doing the DONOVAN, AYER AND WESTPHAL ?
izzywilson123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,
I was wondering whether anyone has any predictions about what might come up in paper 4 on the 14th June 2013?
I've got a feeling it might be Ayer since its been 5 years since the paper started and they've only alternated between Westphal and Donovan.
Surely it's time for Ayer to come up?
Pizzle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey I'm sitting this paper too, and everyone in my class has been wondering why they have never picked Ayer?
I'm starting to wonder if he's even in the specification haha!!
Really hope it's Ayer though. Don't really understand the other two.
vickynut95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
best to revise all you never know
tagerco.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am! I'm not sure but I think my teacher said Ayer is most likely to come up, can anyone confirm this? What topics has everyone brought into Ayer's stuff?
red101red101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what paper is implications on? developments or philosphy of religion
iKnowAll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes..Ayer IS coming up this year, its been Westphal, Donovan, Donovan the past three years, its time for Ayer..

Posted from TSR Mobile
iKnowAll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is Ayer this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pizzle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iKnowAll)
It is Ayer this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you be sure!
iKnowAll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because..I'm sitting this exam..my teacher has reliable sources and he's not come up since this specification started..but keep Westphal as a highly unlikely backup
gemma321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
JUNE 2013: ??????????????
june 2012: Donovan
june 2011:Westphal
june 2010: Donovan
june 2009: Westphal

what are your sources that it is Ayer this year?
tagerco.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by red101red101)
what paper is implications on? developments or philosphy of religion
It's on Philosophy of Religion
student500
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could someone please tell me what to put in a part A in an Ayer question please?
gemma321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
verification principle
god talk is meaningless
reference to paragraph given and what ayer says before and after it
etc
gemma321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iKnowAll)
Yes..Ayer IS coming up this year, its been Westphal, Donovan, Donovan the past three years, its time for Ayer..

Posted from TSR Mobile

how are you so confident that it is Ayer, they could just put Westphal and follow the pattern
f0ma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher said that it's likely to be Ayer. I don't really mind. I like Westphal the most and I'd prefer not to do Donovan, but I don't think I'd struggle with any of them. At least Ayer is pretty short and simple. If you studied the VP and Emotivism in the first part of the course, you'll have a lot to talk about as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads