This discussion is closed.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
Tricky one - rules are rules as we've seen in this election. I think that all parties have the same amount of time to prepare a manifesto and so it wouldn't be fair to give some an extension and not others (the parties that have submitted manifestos could use that time to improve their manifesto and they stuck to the rules) so as much as it would pain me, I wouldn't let them stand because others stuck to the rules so why can't that party?
I really don't like this answer.

People are here to have fun and not allowing a large party to stand would have a detrimental effect not only on that party but on every other party and thus on the house as a whole. Some things are more important than rigidly sticking to the rules and this, frankly, is one of them. I understand your logic I just think it is the wrong conclusion and not in the spirit of what this place should be about.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
I really don't like this answer.

People are here to have fun and not allowing a large party to stand would have a detrimental effect not only on that party but on every other party and thus on the house as a whole. Some things are more important than rigidly sticking to the rules and this, frankly, is one of them. I understand your logic I just think it is the wrong conclusion and not in the spirit of what this place should be about.
I see your point, but I think that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If a party is saying 'give us a day or two', then that's different. A couple of hours I would potentially allow. That said, it's all down to the situation at the end of the day. If it's in the interests of activity and the House to let them have the extension, then the party can have the extension of an hour or two. In reality, it comes down to the context, how long they want as an extension and whether it's in the interests of the House for the party to have the extension (i.e. activity). I can't give a specific answer because of those variables, but that is what I'd base a decision on.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
Good luck toronto353.
Thank you. I've got to admit that it's still a tough election regardless of there being one candidate because there are some tricky questions here.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see your point, but I think that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If a party is saying 'give us a day or two', then that's different. A couple of hours I would potentially allow. That said, it's all down to the situation at the end of the day. If it's in the interests of activity and the House to let them have the extension, then the party can have the extension of an hour or two. In reality, it comes down to the context, how long they want as an extension and whether it's in the interests of the House for the party to have the extension (i.e. activity). I can't give a specific answer because of those variables, but that is what I'd base a decision on.
Well this is a rather different answer to the one you initially gave....

That aside, this second answer is rather more comforting so I'm not going to have to have you assassinated
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
What is your policy on 'gifts'?
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well this is a rather different answer to the one you initially gave....

That aside, this second answer is rather more comforting so I'm not going to have to have you assassinated
On consideration, I see your point though and, when the question was asked, I was considering two issues - one the 'would it be fair issue?' and two 'would this open the floodgates and encourage the deadlines to be broken more frequently'. The problem of denying a party the chance to stand and the effects on activity were also in my mind and, upon seeing your query, it helped to put those concerns into context. Of course, I would still consult with the mods (particularly TCIT) as to the best way to proceed along with my three criteria shown above.

I always assumed that you weren't plotting anything....
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
What is your policy on 'gifts'?
If elected, I intend to take office stationary from the TSR Government's offices for a leaving present if that's what you mean.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
On consideration, I see your point though and, when the question was asked, I was considering two issues - one the 'would it be fair issue?' and two 'would this open the floodgates and encourage the deadlines to be broken more frequently'. The problem of denying a party the chance to stand and the effects on activity were also in my mind and, upon seeing your query, it helped to put those concerns into context. Of course, I would still consult with the mods (particularly TCIT) as to the best way to proceed along with my three criteria shown above.

I always assumed that you weren't plotting anything....
Contingency my love, contingency.
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
If elected, I intend to take office stationary from the TSR Government's offices for a leaving present if that's what you mean.
No, no that is not what I meant... clearly you are not the candidate for me
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Contingency my love, contingency.
I see that you're the smiling pink assassin of TSR then.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, no that is not what I meant... clearly you are not the candidate for me
You shall have to be clearer and more explicit then.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see that you're the smiling pink assassin of TSR then.
It's a front so that when my opponents turn up with both arms pulled through their mouths and out of their throats, covered in glitter and hung on lampposts outside the houses of their families - nobody suspects me.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a front so that when my opponents turn up with both arms pulled through their mouths and out of their throats, covered in glitter and hung on lampposts outside the houses of their families - nobody suspects me.
The glitter might give it away though to be fair.
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
You shall have to be clearer and more explicit then.
I am afraid if you can't get it the first time, I cannot do business with you... like is like when someone asked me to wait until "M. Seamaster" was in, they knew the game, you don't so I cannot in all good consciousness vote for you.

R.O.N. if you could tell me your views on 'gifts'? ta ta
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The glitter might give it away though to be fair.
I have to add something or it will seem impersonal.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am afraid if you can't get it the first time, I cannot do business with you... like is like when someone asked me to wait until "M. Seamaster" was in, they knew the game, you don't so I cannot in all good consciousness vote for you.

R.O.N. if you could tell me your views on 'gifts'? ta ta
I'm afraid that you appear to have missed my answer. Could you be more explicit?

It all depends on what those 'gifts' were to be.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to add something or it will seem impersonal.
A pink feather boa maybe?
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid that you appear to have missed my answer. Could you be more explicit?

It all depends on what those 'gifts' were to be.
And I responded saying I cannot... if you want to be Speaker, the least you should be able to do is read and comprehend posts

No.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A pink feather boa maybe?
If I end up having to have you sorted I will hang you with one as a mark of respect.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Under what circumstances would you delete a party? (AKA 'party poop'.)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads