Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clever people in the navy/armed forces...... is it really worth it?? watch

• CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    For the record DJ, unless I metioned your name I was just writing generally on the topic

ReputationRep:
    I think the noble DJ has had a thoroughly rewarding fishing expedition. Really, we shouldn't bite and just leave him to his own devices - I mean, really, he's not going to be troubling an officers mess any time soon

To the Queen.... and all that.....

ReputationRep:
    Well as they say, the proof of the pudding, is in the eating. Those who have eaten their pudding and found it to be quite delicious, well done to you and your desert making expertise. Those who have still got it simmering in the oven at Gas Mark 4, well they will get to taste the product of their work soon enough.

Go analogies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)

I have fine art, eng lit ... ... so I must of learnt something, even if it was simply a case of developing personal skills if nothing else...?
    Certainly wasn't good English!

(this is banter):laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cymru_am_byth)
    You like writing a lot don't you.
    Yes, but that's beside the point - I was simply replying.

(Original post by GR4pilot)
    Is a definition.

You'll notice I said 'any initial Officer Training' the any and lower case 'i' was the clue there mate.
    The nature of something is not what something is, purely how it behaves. Thus, not a definition of what arrogance is. Simply how one who is arrogant (seeing as we've been on the subject of me, we'll stick with that) behaves, not how my behaviour is defined - that's quite different.

You also said 'coming on any [IOT]', hence RAF IOT - where 'any' could simply imply a later RAF IOT. Thanks for the word games, try harder and better luck next time.

Ok I haven't read all this thread so sorry if i miss something (there is so much and I haven't been here a while!!) but it seems that people are getting quite aggressive over what basically seems to be whether arrogance can be confused with over confidence and the such? Would it be fair to say that, to degree (please note this), that it is your attitude in the work place that is most important in the military - if you want to at like a **** to everyone in the bar, then fine as long as you recognise the time and place etc, and when you go into work you behave and communicate proffesionally and in the best interest of those you are working with? i think everyone can be percieved as arrogant by one person or another and I think everyone who is in the forces is naturally confident - these may get mixed at times. I also think that on a forum such as this you CAN NOT make a full and proper judgement on anyone, their abilities or their potential. Perhaps this discussion should focus on the importance of perspective instead of what is and isn't classed as a definition and who's making them?

And just for the record, I did see a few comments about A-levels/qualifications etc... persoanally, although I may laugh at my own and the relevance they have on my life/proffesional development, when i sat my A levels I worked extremly hard at them, I learnt skills about planning, prioritising, creativity, contingency planning, whilst being a 16/17/18 year old, which isn't the easiest ride in itself. I have 3 A levels and am proud of that, my bro has a ND and i'm proud of that. I do not for one minute think that these have more benfits than serving in the forces straight from school, obviously all you bods who did so will have far more military experiance than I do right now but I think that A levels shouldn't be dissed quite so much, certainly not "****ty" or "mickey mouse" - those of you sitting them right now should continue to work hard and be proud of your achievements. those of you who prefer and chose a different route, perhaps give them the respect for the effort, time and commitment invested in the persons own drive to learn and develop?

I have fine art, eng lit and comm studies (bit like media) a levels and a degree in equine science... all things going well, I'll be on IOT 4 so I must of learnt something, even if it was simply a case of developing personal skills if nothing else...?

"hopes down off soap box" sorry can't myself and for the record, i really enjoyed my studies and learnt **** loads of stuff as well as developed skills and what not - its just different to what you lot know!
    Very well illustrated.

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    For the record DJ, unless I metioned your name I was just writing generally on the topic
    Or quoted something I wrote and made a personal judgement on it? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be the ******, and not be so accepting but I think (atleast I hope) you're not naive enough to believe that I care what you think.

(Original post by Raptor)
    I think the noble DJ has had a thoroughly rewarding fishing expedition. Really, we shouldn't bite and just leave him to his own devices - I mean, really, he's not going to be troubling an officers mess any time soon

To the Queen.... and all that.....
    Shall I be the kettle, and you be the pot? Hypocrite. How dare you pass comment on my attitude; when yours mirrors it so.

(Original post by CKinnerley)
    Well as they say, the proof of the pudding, is in the eating. Those who have eaten their pudding and found it to be quite delicious, well done to you and your desert making expertise. Those who have still got it simmering in the oven at Gas Mark 4, well they will get to taste the product of their work soon enough.

Go analogies.
    Lol, I liked that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Yes, but that's beside the point - I was simply replying.

The nature of something is not what something is, purely how it behaves. Thus, not a definition of what arrogance is. Simply how one who is arrogant (seeing as we've been on the subject of me, we'll stick with that) behaves, not how my behaviour is defined - that's quite different.

You also said 'coming on any [IOT]', hence RAF IOT - where 'any' could simply imply a later RAF IOT. Thanks for the word games, try harder and better luck next time.

Very well illustrated.

Or quoted something I wrote and made a personal judgement on it? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be the ******, and not be so accepting but I think (atleast I hope) you're not naive enough to believe that I care what you think.

Shall I be the kettle, and you be the pot? Hypocrite. How dare you pass comment on my attitude; when yours mirrors it so.

Lol, I liked that.
    I say old chap you are getting wound up.

ReputationRep:
    Not atall, BP is fine

ReputationRep:
    To add: GR4 asked why every meaningless argument involved me at it's centre, well - because it's fun, and if they didn't then I'd be even more redundant than I am now.

ReputationRep:
    at its centre

Wow! The English on this site really is shocking!:stupido2:

ReputationRep:
    Ach, I'm used to writing the apostrophe, so stick it in by mistake sometimes, I don't read over what I write afterwards - that's why I don't spot some simple grammatical errors.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    That was a bit uncalled for. I haven't been in any way unpleasent to you, I was merely speaking from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tincan)
    Certainly wasn't good English!

(this is banter):laugh:
    You think my writing is bad... you want to hear me speak!! Everything is "you know, that thing that whatshisname wanted...?"

Merely testing everyones grammatical ability... 10/10 for you:king1:

P.S. Btw....! English Lit is about books, plays, poetry and analysing them etc (we did get marked on grammer, spelling, etc but we don't mention that :rolleyes:) English Language is all about structure of sentences, grammer, etc etc... not as interesting!! Blame the education system!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, that was a definitive statement. To state the nature of something is to define it; to put it within set parameters. Thus you made a definition.

Secondly, you added the [IOT]. If you were at alll versed in military writings about training you would know that when discussing the basic training phase for Officers it is considered 'initial' (just as the other phases are known as advanced phase and Flag phase - despite the fact that the Army, RAF, USAF and US Army etc don't have Flag Officers) thus

"any [Navy, Army, Airforce] initial [lowercase 'i' indicating that it is not part of an acronym] Officer Training."

ReputationRep:
    how much testosterone is on this site?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Cant you all just play nice, you are all on the same side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toria)
    how much testosterone is on this site?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Well as we are all serving or want to serve, more testosterone is better than less(males at least).

ReputationRep:
    With toria on this one, however think the word i would use is anal... "well actually the correct definition is this, not its not is this, not its not... blah blah blah..." So when is someone going to define definition or has that already happened and its just so bloody rediculous that brain couldn't be bothered to remember...?

ReputationRep:

P.S. Btw....! English Lit is about books, plays, poetry and analysing them etc (we did get marked on grammer, spelling, etc but we don't mention that :rolleyes:) English Language is all about structure of sentences, grammer, etc etc... not as interesting!! Blame the education system!
    grammEr? :shot: I give up!

Well, don't worry... you'll love service writing. It's a hoot :bang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    That was a bit uncalled for. I haven't been in any way unpleasent to you, I was merely speaking from experience.
    I've read through the thread again, and yeah, it was a harsh - whoops!

You think my writing is bad... you want to hear me speak!! Everything is "you know, that thing that whatshisname wanted...?"

Merely testing everyones grammatical ability... 10/10 for you:king1:

In England they split them? In Scotland we are assessed in the one course. Study a novel, write an essay in which you're marked on your awareness of the text, analysing of it, grammar and awareness of your own writing. Seems strange to separate them. :confused:

(Original post by GR4pilot)
    Firstly, that was a definitive statement. To state the nature of something is to define it; to put it within set parameters. Thus you made a definition.

Secondly, you added the [IOT]. If you were at alll versed in military writings about training you would know that when discussing the basic training phase for Officers it is considered 'initial' (just as the other phases are known as advanced phase and Flag phase - despite the fact that the Army, RAF, USAF and US Army etc don't have Flag Officers) thus

"any [Navy, Army, Airforce] initial [lowercase 'i' indicating that it is not part of an acronym] Officer Training."
    OK, I was out of context.

You're still not grasping the fact you said 'coming', hence join you. Wither it's i or I, I couldn't care less, I won't be joining you on RAF [i]nitial Officer Training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tincan)
    grammEr? :shot: I give up!

Well, don't worry... you'll love service writing. It's a hoot :bang:
    lol, I didn't want to say - or as sono as I make a blip, they will all jump down my throat about it.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I didn't want to say - or as sono as I make a blip, they will all jump down my throat about it.
    There we go! Spellcheck, get opera to do it for you, if you can't do it yourself, lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.