The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sorry yeah it is a thermosetting typed in wrong, lol.

i was just trying to give extra options about materials choice, and GRP as suggested before seemed a bit ott. metal is a good material too no doubt, but it comes with it disadvantages when drawing etc. as long as the design sticks t the proposed specifications etc the examiners arnt going to care if it look nice, as long as it suits the spec and the pupil has followed the mark scheme.

Thats another key point, though obvious i constantly dont do, before going into the exam on tuesday, write out all the mark scheme (or key points) on a piece of paper for each section so you make sure that you follow it to make sure u get the best mark in each section. Its very easy in design tech to go of on a tangent and fill space up with rubbish that isnt needed.
Urea formaldehyde is a thermosetting u r right hwoo. But U do know urea formaldehyde isn't good for ppls health esp babies cos it cause irratation if particles get into the body. Check this site out, http://www.nsc.org/EHC/indoor/formald.htm
Also
why have u chosen GRP anyway? As the other guy said its very expensive, and it also takes a long while to set, and finish. Not something that can be done in mass production.

GRP can be mass produced, some cars are made with carbon and glass fibre cos it gives better shapes. Check the text book, they use a spray gun which sprays fibres, accelerate resin and a catalysed resin on to a mould, which is then rolled to compacted it, p 191 of the old txt book
least we've got lots of ideas going round, what other safe plastics are concidered in making injection molded things??
Reply 203
has everyone got this exam on tuesday afternoon?
Has anyone got anyinfo on TIG welding (its is TIG welding for aluminium isn't it) also could ne1 think of a way to attatch a fabric to a metal frame?? help appreciated.
is everyone including extra space for the stuff below? (lifted from http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/foru...threadid=20895)

a bottle of milk,
tin of baby food,
spoons,
bib's,
wipes,
2 sets of Nappies (one for toddler and one for baby),
Nappy sacks,
tissues,
spare baby vest,
Spare baby grow,
Trousers (for toddler),
Top (for toddler),
nappy cream,
colic drops,
Drink for toddler,
Not forgetting the very important muslin or mop cloth,
and then Buzz lightyear (My 2 year old won't go anywhere without it!). also probs mobile phone, purse, (mp3 player?) handbag parents want as much free movement as possible without being restricted in case of an emergency.

This is all before shopping or are you going to incorporate it with shopping space?
Reply 206
I'm only going to include that stuff if the brief tells me to. But yeah, half the shopping space is going to be gone if the user puts all that stuff in!
http://www.weldingengineer.com/1tig.htm This is quite gd 4 tig welding
As 4 attaching onto a frame, i dunno im using injection moulded plastic seats
Reply 208
There were some problems with the scanning, so I decided to just take pictures of some of them instead, but here are the: brainstorm, specification, concept ideas. All comments, suggestions and questions welcome. Hope this helps.

Spoiler

Where does a parent put these things at the moment?
Reply 210
where did people find a mark scheme...crerardunk said it would be a good idea to have it
Reply 211
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/70623.pdf

its on there just look for the relevant page on the pdf file.
hope that helps.
Guys here is another very useful tip for tomorrows exam:
It is much easier to shade in the back of your ideas pages with a HB pencil and by placing it ontop of the exam you can then tranfer the idea straight onto it by drawing over the top of the idea that you have drawn. THis will transfer the idea onto the work sheet and then all you need to do is go over it with a pencil to make it more accented.
Im finding this really useful with some of the stuff my teacher has produced on prodesktop regarding braking systems and collapsible parts. It means that i can copy them straight onto the page making it look very well presented and well done. This will not score you less points and is not cheating.
Does anyone want some prodesktop drawings regarding the braking systems that could be used and some collapsible methods?

Good luck tomorrow, u'll all do really well. Just follow the mark scheme as well as possible.
Reply 213
hey does anyone have any table for the strengths and weights of lightwieght materials? just been looking throught a report of the last exam and looks like examiners expect you to have researched that kind of thing.
please. details of braking systems would be useful. does eveybody think it should be collabsible - i dont think so otherwise we would have been asked to research into it.

please post those braking things tho :smile:
Reply 215
whats the best type of plastic to use and how would u join it to a aluminium tubing frame ?? also what is the best process to use if the platic is goin to be in a slighlty complicated shape??
Guys i really recommend that you all look throught the mark scheme if you havent done already. Therefore you will get a clear understanding of what is needed in the exam. Sounds stupid advice but have you??

Ill try and post the braking system stuff onto here.
Reply 217
crerardunk

Does anyone want some prodesktop drawings regarding the braking systems that could be used and some collapsible methods?

yeh that would great if you could. thanks
Thanks evryone i know what i am doing now

anyone know what we gt to do for evaluation or development
Reply 219
how do u attach platic sheets to aluminium tubing ??? also if your using big pieces of plastic whats the best process to use ?? injection moulnding?

Latest

Trending

Trending