Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facebook)
    Congratulations.
    Awww thanks facebook!
    Care to share some LSE "insider" secrets with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayiseda)
    facebook, are you willing to give any insight into what its like to study law at LSE?? teaching, social life, career prospects, comparisons with other UoL unis??

thanks
    Perhaps a few things to note -
    • There's a very competitive, dog-eat-dog atmosphere among the law students, so you ought to be prepared for that, as it can be quite shocking at first.
    • The teaching is very student centered. I only have 10 hours of supervised teaching a week (lecs, classes and sems), which gives you an idea of just how independent and self-motivated you have to be.
    • As far as the quality of the teaching is concerned, it's a mixed bag to be honest. Some members of the faculty are superb, and some leave a lot to be desired.
    • The social life is fine. Nothing to brag about to be honest. The cosmopolitan nature of LSE can be a blessing as well as a curse on this issue. However, the fact is that at LSE, your social life will be as good as you make it. Personally speaking, I find it a little difficult to balance my social life and academic committments. Others seem to have no problem taking in both lol.
    • As far as careers prospects is concerned, you really have nothing to worry about. I've spoken to many graduate recruiters, trainee solicitors, associates and etc, and all of them have said that studying at the LSE definitely puts you at an advantage over most applicants, probably on par with UCL, Oxbridge candidates.

Perhaps I've been a bit too cynical and dry lol, but I'm just reflecting on my 18 months of experience over here.

When wll you be joining us? September this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gobsmacker)
    Care to share some LSE "insider" secrets with me?
    A few places you ought to be aware of -
    • Computer room on the LG floor of St Clements Building. Less crowded, and its great when the library is packed (which is most of the time).
    • The Beavers Retreat, on the 4th floor of the Old Bulding. Great place to chill out. Again, it's one of the 'little known' locations on campus lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayiseda)

thanks
    By the way, I see that you've been given a AAA offer from both the LSE and the UCL. Have you decided which university will be your firm choice? It's a very difficult decision. Though I'm sure you'll make the right [LSE] decision lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facebook)
    By the way, I see that you've been given a AAA offer from both the LSE and the UCL. Have you decided which university will be your firm choice? It's a very difficult decision. Though I'm sure you'll make the right [LSE] decision lol.
    Still not decided, dont know how im going to decide but thanks for the comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grandiloquent)
    Got rejected... Ah well, there's always Bristol!
    That's unfortunate, but yes, if you've secured Bristol, you're in a good position.

I just got rejected by yet another law firm I applied to for an internship so I sort of understand how you must be feeling.

Rejection is not a great feeling .

ReputationRep:
    What are the options like in the second year, in terms of the semi and full modules, do you feel there is enough choice in comparison to other universities, and does it matter which you take, are they any in particular that you would recommend from your personal experience facebook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N89)
    What are the options like in the second year, in terms of the semi and full modules, do you feel there is enough choice in comparison to other universities, and does it matter which you take, are they any in particular that you would recommend from your personal experience facebook?
    Well I'm studying medical law, EU law and institutions, IP law and property 2 for my second year modules.

EU law and institutions, and property 2 are semi-compulsory in so far as they are necessary to gain a qualifying law degree recognised by the law society and the bar. However, some of my friends have opted to take them in their third year of studies.

I'd certainly recommend IP law. It's very respected and interesting but quite challenging.

In my experience, law firms don't really care which modules you take, so I'd focus on modules that you are more likely to enjoy.

take a look at this -
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/law...%202007-08.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a scientific background to be successful in IP as it is quite technical or do firms consider those without scientific knowledge for IP, at my firm its quite preferred!

Thanks for the info though facebook!!

ReputationRep:
    Remind me to rep you tomorrow, given out my one today, fantastic advice facebook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N89)
    Do you need a scientific background to be successful in IP as it is quite technical or do firms consider those without scientific knowledge for IP, at my firm its quite preferred!

Thanks for the info though facebook!!
    No I don't think one necessarily needs a scientific background. IP law at LSE is divided equally into three segments - trademarks, patents and copyrights.

Patents is certainly technical (and by far the most difficult segment of the degree imo), but trademarks and copyrights are not so you can do well without a scientific background in my opinion. There's a lot of reading, but it's very interesting so that smooths it a bit lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2008
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.