Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, even French culture isn't exclusively French. They drink French wine and eat croissants and escargos, smoke Gitanes etc, but there again so do I.

Hence the need to examine commonality - perhaps that's where Lawz' venn diagrams come in.

I don't know - I've purposely avoided this thread (apart from to remind everyone how popular I am) because its not really my thing - too complicated.

Howard, that isn't like you! Are you having family problems? I'm waiting for your brilliant but irksome comments, that i have to agree, do liven up the debates.

The croissants thing- yeah, you do to. You have a liking for Frenhc cuisine then. You have adopted a taste of French culture. Nothing to do with the whitenes of your skin though, eh?

I had a croissant today, a Marks n Spencer one, and it was lovely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    becuase of ho vastly different they are, in comparison to the huge similarities between those of "black culture".
    Not even close. White cultures are far more similar that the very disparate black cultures of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    When did I say there was a SINGLE white culture? Please point me to it?

Look Ive made you a nice diagram ... here:
    You forgot to overlap Belgium with France!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    You forgot to overlap Belgium with France!

Heh .. *******! I knew someone would pop up with somethign like that

I was going to add a disclaimer damnit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    OMG FINALLY someone who sees the light (no pun intended!)
    The argument for a 'White Society' at university is pointless and quite frankly, laughable, especially as we can't seem to even define what 'white culture' is.
    Well, its not pointless. Why should the existance of a White Society at a university depend on agreement between its members on the definition of a white culture?

Most universities have a Christian Society of some sorts but it isn't full of Christians who are in universal doctrinal agreement. For example, the RC members will put a lot more weight on the importance of sacramentalism than the baptists. They are all Christians but cannot agree on some of the finer points of Christianity. Does that make the Christian Society purposeless?

And so, if a group of black students want to start a Black Society or a group of white students want to start a White Society then they should be able to do so even if they cannot identify what it is that bonds them culturally as blacks or whites. It's surely a matter of freedom of association rather than intellectual justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Not even close. White cultures are far more similar that the very disparate black cultures of the world.
    You constantly, constantly, constantly take quotes out of context and misinterpret them to appear to strengthen your own.

I said WESTERNISED WESTERNISED WESTERNISED WESTERNISED BLACK PEOPLE FROM AFRICA AND JAMAICA HAVE CULTURES THAT ARE MORE SIMILAR TO EACH OTHER THAN THE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN FRENCH ABD BRITISH CULTURE. I know that a bloody tribe in the dense African jungle wont have cultural similarities to a jamaican! Stop doing this, its irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

Here you go

(Original post by Lawz-)
    How idiotic. You are saying that not all white cultures are the same?

What? You want a cookie?

Of course they arent - that is NOT to say that there is no such thing descriptively as white culture. Dont be so lingusitically inept.
    So you didn't explicitly state you believed there was a single 'white culture' but your words surely do lead one to think you do. How about we clear the air and just have you state right now.. do you think there is such a thing as a single 'white culture'? Very simple question. Simple answer required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    You constantly, constantly, constantly take quotes out of context and misinterpret them to appear to strengthen your own.

I said WESTERNISED WESTERNISED WESTERNISED WESTERNISED BLACK PEOPLE FROM AFRICA AND JAMAICA HAVE CULTURES THAT ARE MORE SIMILAR TO EACH OTHER THAN THE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN FRENCH ABD BRITISH CULTURE. I know that a bloody tribe in the dense African jungle wont have cultural similarities to a jamaican! Stop doing this, its irritating.
    Actually you seemed to make both points.

You said what you said. Perhaps you meant to limit it as you claim but the text you put down certianly didnt warrant that.

Besides - of course an Afro-Caribbean society involves more similar cultures... but a BLACK society or an AFRICAN society would not.

ReputationRep:
    do you think there is such a thing as a single 'white culture'? Very simple question. Simple answer required.
    It depends what you mean.

For your purposes - no.

But then you could claim there is not Trinidadian culture, as culture varies from region to region - no Welsh culture, no Scottish culture ...

At what point does a variance become sufficent to warrant a label of a SEPARARATE culture?

Is there such a thing as human culture?

If so then there can certainly be white culture as it would be more specific.

Its a matter of degree, but colloquially, no - no single white culture. But then who says you cant have a society that celebrates more than one cultural strain?

A Spanish society that celebrates Catalan and "spanish" culture.... ? Odd? Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :eek:

You can type AND use the AutoShapes function in Word!! I'm impressed by your mad skills. Respect bro

ReputationRep:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :eek:

You can type AND use the AutoShapes function in Word!! I'm impressed by your mad skills. Respect bro
    Actually photoshop, and at age 14 I was doing graphical design professionally.

I want really trying to impress you with my graphical design prowess though BRO... just making a simple point.

But now that you are impressed I can honestly die a happy man. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    It depends what you mean.

For your purposes - no.

But then you could claim there is not Trinidadian culture, as culture varies from region to region - no Welsh culture, no Scottish culture ...

At what point does a variance become sufficent to warrant a label of a SEPARARATE culture?

Is there such a thing as human culture?

If so then there can certainly be white culture as it would be more specific.

Its a matter of degree, but colloquially, no - no single white culture. But then who says you cant have a society that celebrates more than one cultural strain?

A Spanish society that celebrates Catalan and "spanish" culture.... ? Odd? Of course not.
    So, like someone said before, say you start a White Society at university to celebrate the different 'white cultures' because it's proving impossible to explicitly define what single 'white culture' is. Have all the white Brits, French, Czechs, Russians, Polish, Scandanavians join. Inevitably because there is such a vast difference between the cultures of these countries (as there is no single white culture), this 'White Society' would break down into various other groups - 'British Society' 'French Society', 'Russian Society' 'Scandanavian Society' etc... some of which already exist at universities. Point being that having a 'White Society' is useless if there is no such thing as a common single 'white culture'. End of story

ReputationRep:
    . Point being that having a 'White Society' is useless if there is no such thing as a common single 'white culture'. End of story
    And there is a single black culture? Trying telling that to the hutus and the tutsis in Rwanda

ReputationRep:
    So, like someone said before, say you start a White Society at university to celebrate the different 'white cultures' because it's proving impossible to explicitly define what single 'white culture' is. Have all the white Brits, French, Czechs, Russians, Polish, Scandanavians join. Inevitably because there is such a vast difference between the cultures of these countries (as there is no single white culture), this 'White Society' would break down into various other groups - 'British Society' 'French Society', 'Russian Society' 'Scandanavian Society' etc... some of which already exist at universities. Point being that having a 'White Society' is useless if there is no such thing as a common single 'white culture'. End of story
    Well it wouldnt necessarily break down at all. You might have different nights, different events...

regardless thats not the point Im making...

The point is that there IS such a thing descriptively as white culture. You said there wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Well it wouldnt necessarily break down at all. You might have different nights, different events...

regardless thats not the point Im making...

The point is that there IS such a thing descriptively as white culture. You said there wasnt.
    You just said there wasn't! Make up your mind bro

ReputationRep:
    And there is a single black culture? Trying telling that to the hutus and the tutsis in Rwanda
    I never said there was a single 'black culture'. Because I don't believe there is one.

ReputationRep:
    Haha! "Tutsis" Always makes me laugh that does. How can any tribe expect to be taken seriously if they call themselves "Tutsis"? Sounds as menacing as the Umpalumpas (sp?)rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You just said there wasn't! Make up your mind bro
    Not quite BRO.

I said in the colloquial sense, there is no SINGLE white culture.

However, in actuallity, just as there is a Global culture, there is a WHITE culture that comprises of what are coloquially seen as disparate groups.

Please see the diagram again.

if you want I an make a new one, with 3d effects, opacity variations, and lots of filters. Would that help? Hey! then I could impress you again! My life's work and dream!

ReputationRep:
    I never said there was a single 'black culture'. Because I don't believe there is one.
    What exactly do you cosnider SINGLE culture to be pray tell?

Anyway... I have had enough of beating my head against a couple of brick walls... Im off to the gym...

see Howie - not quite at your level of inaction yet...

ReputationRep:
    Well they did seem to be the ones on the recieving end most, but I can't say that was because of their name

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.