Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor! he is obviously one of the best things to ever happen to this planet, so there is no denying the fact that the doctor = AMAZING!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Well what about Genghis Khan? One in 200 people are supposed to be directly linked to him, I'd say that's quite influential, certainly enough to challenge Napoleon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe the statistic is that every person of Asian decent is supposedly capable of tracing their line all the way to Genghis Khan. They also say similar stuff about Charlemagne, just for every person of European descent. Pretty interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    I believe the statistic is that every person of Asian decent is supposedly capable of tracing their line all the way to Genghis Khan. They also say similar stuff about Charlemagne, just for every person of European descent. Pretty interesting stuff.
    I've heard it reported in a few different ways so I'm not sure which if any are actually true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. I know it can't which is why it's unreliable
    Verified events gives it some form of reliability.
    2. Could you give me a reliable source for Jesus' galavanting?
    Can you give me one reliable source of a first century palestinian jew galavanting?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if i have commented on this page, but it's Muhammed pbuh by far.Muhammed pbuh surely has the greatest single influence. From absolutely transforming backward Arabia , dying just a few centuries before the Islamic Golden age, and having around 1,500,000,000 followers , and in a decade or two, Islam is projected to be the worlds largest religion, and is currently the fastest growing religion - even when you look at the rate of conversions. I could also argue that Islam has the most actual followers - not people simply claiming the title. Though there are groups that do, the vast majority fast in Ramadhan, pray salaat. I could even argue that more muslims believe in the virgin birth of Jesus pbuh !(perhaps, as a guess)

Jesus pbuh definitely had a big influence, but his influence was more to do with what religion political kings chose far after his death.

John 16:7-14 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you."

Michael H. Hart (1932- ) Professor of astronomy, physics and the history of science.

q "My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level." [The 100: A Ranking Of The Most Influential Persons In History, New York, 1978, p. 33]

William Montgomery Watt (1909- ) Professor (Emeritus) of Arabic and Islamic Studies at the University of Edinburgh.

q "His readiness to undergo persecutions for his beliefs, the high moral character of the men who believed in him and looked up to him as leader, and the greatness of his ultimate achievement - all argue his fundamental integrity. To suppose Muhammad an impostor raises more problems than it solves. Moreover, none of the great figures of history is so poorly appreciated in the West as Muhammad." [Mohammad At Mecca, Oxford, 1953, p. 52]

Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869) French poet and statesman.

q "Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator, warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational dogmas, of a cult without images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire, that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?"[Translated from Histoire De La Turquie, Paris, 1854, vol. II, pp. 276-277]

Reverend Bosworth Smith (1794-1884) Late Fellow of Trinity College, Oxford.

q "… he was Caesar and Pope in one; but he was Pope without the Pope's pretensions, and Caesar without the legions of Caesar. Without a standing army, without a bodyguard, without a palace, without a fixed revenue, if ever any man had the right to say that he ruled by a right Divine, it was Mohammed; for he had all the power without its instruments and without its supports." Mohammed and Mohammedanism, London, 1874, p. 235]

Mohandas KaramchandGandhi (1869-1948) Indian thinker, statesman, and nationalist leader.

q "....I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the prophet, the scrupulous regard for his pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These, and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every trouble." [Young India (periodical), 1928, Volume X]

Edward Gibbon (1737-1794) Considered the greatest British historian of his time.

q "The greatest success of Mohammad's life was effected by sheer moral force without the stroke of a sword."
    [History Of The Saracen Empire, London, 1870]

John William Draper (1811-1882) American scientist, philosopher, and historian.

q "Four years after the death of Justinian, A.D. 569, was born at Mecca, in Arabia the man who, of all men exercised the greatest influence upon the human race . . . Mohammed." [A History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, London, 1875, vol.1, pp. 329-330]

David George Hogarth (1862-1927) English archaeologist, author, and keeper of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.

q “Serious or trivial, his daily behaviour has instituted a canon which millions observe this day with conscious mimicry. No one regarded by any section of the human race as Perfect Man has been imitated so minutely. The conduct of the Founder of Christianity has not so governed the ordinary life of His followers. Moreover, no Founder of a religion has been left on so solitary an eminence as the Muslim Apostle.”[Arabia, Oxford, 1922, p. 52]

Washington Irving (1783-1859) Well-known as the “first American man of letters".

q “He was sober and abstemious in his diet, and a rigorous observer of fasts. He indulged in no magnificence of apparel, the ostentation of a petty mind; neither was his simplicity in dress affected, but the result of a real disregard to distinction from so trivial a source ... In his private dealings he was just. He treated friends and strangers, the rich and poor, the powerful and the weak, with equity, and was beloved by the common people for the affability with which he received them, and listened to their complaints ... His military triumphs awakened no pride nor vain glory, as they would have done had they been effected for selfish purposes. In the time of his greatest power he maintained the same simplicity of manners and appearance as in the days of his adversity. So far from affecting regal state, he was displeased if, on entering a room, any unusual testimonial of respect were shown to him." [Life of Mahomet, London, 1889, pp. 192-3, 199]

Annie Besant (1847-1933) British theosophist and nationalist leader in India. President of the Indian National Congress in 1917.

q "It is impossible for anyone who studies the life and character of the great Prophet of Arabia, who knows how he taught and how he lived, to feel anything but reverence for that mighty Prophet, one of the great messengers of the Supreme. And although in what I put to you I shall say many things which may be familiar to many, yet I myself feel whenever I re-read them, a new way of admiration, a new sense of reverence for that mighty Arabian teacher." [The Life And Teachings Of Muhammad, Madras, 1932, p. 4]

Edward Gibbon (1737-1794) Considered the greatest British historian of his time.

q "His (i.e., Muhammad's) memory was capacious and retentive, his wit easy and social, his imagination sublime, his judgment clear, rapid and decisive. He possessed the courage of both thought and action."[History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, London, 1838, vol.5, p.335]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused_101)
    The Doctor! he is obviously one of the best things to ever happen to this planet, so there is no denying the fact that the doctor = AMAZING!!!
    Dr Who?

ReputationRep:
    Not to be arrogant, or anything, but...Isambard Kingdom Brunel! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    I'd agree for the modern era he's definetly up there at the top. It's real difficult to compare people from antiquity and modern times. I've had that problem with trying to decide who is the greatest ever military comander out our Napoleon or Alexander. I think Alexander but they lived in such different times its hard to compare.
    But Napoleon lost to Wellington, and Nelson (I think), He revealed his tactics in wars against lesser oppositions, then when it came to fighting the british, especially at sea, he was outclassed.

Napoleon was an incredible individual nonetheless, the corsican who rose up through the ranks of the french army into the dictator, was the start of the cliche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Not to be arrogant, or anything, but...Isambard Kingdom Brunel! :cool:
    I thought Isembard was behind Churchill in the Greatest Britons poll :P

He was a great man i should say, when i first saw your name i read up about him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    But Napoleon lost to Wellington, and Nelson (I think), He revealed his tactics in wars against lesser oppositions, then when it came to fighting the british, especially at sea, he was outclassed.

Napoleon was an incredible individual nonetheless, the corsican who rose up through the ranks of the french army into the dictator, was the start of the cliche.
    Napoleon wasn't an admiral! He never fought Nelson. It is true he was beaten at Waterloo but it was only just and he had a lot against him both in troop numbers and personal issues. I read he couldn't even ride his horse properly as he had piles. He was certainly no longer in his prime.

And yeh I know it sounds so cliche! It was quite common in the revolution though.

ReputationRep:
    Id say, Mother Teresa is one of the greatest people to ever live. She is the closest thing the Catholic Church class as a Saint in the modern day.

ReputationRep:
    Edward Jenner: saved countless millions of lives by discovering the vaccine for smallpox. Surely this makes him the greatest man ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fezzick123)
    Edward Jenner: saved countless millions of lives by discovering the vaccine for smallpox. Surely this makes him the greatest man ever?
    What the hell did you say you little ****

Jenner killed the goddamn smallpox virus - they had lives too.

In all seriousness though, Buddha was, in my opinion.

Or Van Gogh.

ReputationRep:
    Most influential? Jesus, obviously, followed closely by Constantine the Great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilOfficer)
    In what world did you think a facepalm smiley is an okay reply. It's just rude.

Rothschilds consciously shaped the modern version of the banking system and the concept of debt, thereby having an extraordinary impact on the world we live in. If you think about it, it shapes every single aspect of your individual life directly or indirectly. I think it's a fair judgement, especially when contrasted to warfare of Bonaparte [directly influenced by Rothschild banking], Kaisers or Hitler which can be simplified into status quo ante bellum: restoration of Bourbon dynasty (Bonaparte), defeat of German Imperialism and Pax Britannica continuation (WWI), defeat of Nazism and continuation of hostility between the two dominant ideologies (WWII).

Of course there were some fundamental changes, but contrasted to the architecture of Rothschild as the dominant banking dynasty they are really of meagre importance.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist (of which there are many), I'm only relying on what is a widely available knowledge.

Perhaps Rothschilds would struggle against some philosophers and religious leaders such as JC, but then again when it comes to taxation, hire-purchase, mortgage, your tuition fees, even the price of milk: the legacy of, inter alia, Nathan R. is a lot more significant on our everyday monetary matters.
    Sorry but the Rothschilds come nowhere close, even Barney the bear is more influential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    Sorry but the Rothschilds come nowhere close, even Barney the bear is more influential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good for you if you feel that way, life must be much more easier for you.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to argue in favour of banking then surely it would be the Morgan's, particularly JP. Along with being incredibly influential he funded electricity, owned the largest steel company in the world and is still seen as one of the most revolutionary businessman ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I probably gotta roll with the Buddha to be fair.

His influence is unquestionable, and his teachings truly amazing. He had a keen insight into the self, consciousness and psychology and was only bound by the scientific advances of his time. He didn't try to develop an understanding of the world that was beyond in, and instead gathered his knowledge about 'himself' from himself, using tools within his grasp.

Cyrus is up there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I probably gotta roll with the Buddha to be fair.

His influence is unquestionable, and his teachings truly amazing. He had a keen insight into the self, consciousness and psychology and was only bound by the scientific advances of his time. He didn't try to develop an understanding of the world that was beyond in, and instead gathered his knowledge about 'himself' from himself, using tools within his grasp.

Cyrus is up there as well.
    But how can you choose someone who's actions have no accurate historic record. No one really knows what they did and how true the stories are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But how can you choose someone who's actions have no accurate historic record. No one really knows what they did and how true the stories are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, so maybe we don't have a detailed historic account of the life of the Buddha. However, this is a man that was the founder of Buddhism. Therefore, almost every basic Buddhist concept can be related to him, you'd be foolish to deny that he's not accountable for the formulation of concepts such as Anatta, and the Four Noble Truths.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.