Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    I have never killed a mountain lion, and ironically I have never hunted bears, though I have killed one.

Though you seem a bit angry.
    Angry? Not really, I just hope you guys who go shooting/killing/maiming/trading great apes, tigers etc etc get your comeuppance one day.

Q: How is wandering around with a bow/high powered rifle/whatever weapon killing these creatures classed as a sport?

A: It isn't amongst civilised people.

It would be a fair game if someone was hunting you at the same time, otherwise it is a completely one sided battle, see the target down the scope from x distance pull the trigger target destroyed, no more future generations of these wonderful creatures, wow what a guy, give yourself a pat on the back because you are the big man here.

Culling fair enough, hunting species to/near extinction is not cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Hunters do not inflict pain, emotional or physical, on an animal that they would not experience otherwise at some point.
    I don't understand what you're saying really to be honest. It doesn't make sense. Are you saying all animals will be hunted at some point? Or that it's alright for us to do as we please because an animal will have those emotions at some point? Why's that not the same for the way we treat little kids then if they're going to have those emotions at some point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    ive never big game hunted so im sorry if i gave that impression (and i think your confusing me with the OP a bit as well), Ive never gone after deer or anything like that.

Because im an archer I can just appreciate where the OP is coming from a bit more - and im not against one on one hunting.

However if you think its easy to shoot a bow accurately - rest assured its not and it takes years to get good at it. And thats for target shooting - never mind going after big game.
    Ah yes, it seems I have been - my apologies. What sort of hunting do you do?

I'm sure using a bow is quite the challenge, but I still don't see the glory in defeating something that had no chance of defeating you. You can compete against other humans over who is the better shot, but unless you're a bad hunter and set the animal running, you might as well both (all) pick a rock on the landscape and whoever hits it wins.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with miser. I don't think I could find pleasure in hunting, especially game animals such as pheasants, gazelle etc. The way you describe the 'pleasure' of the kill is sick but maybe because you have an alpha male thing going on. Some males do find pleasure in killing. If we are talking about subsistent hunting like Inuits etc then I am fine but for humans from the western world to go out and kill animals is not right because you are not going to eat the Oryx and no offence but its people like you who are harming the livelihoods of indigenous people- who take only what they need- by going and shooting animals. And also, the ban on hunting foxes is good because the hunt causes fear and suffering to these animals; if you want to deal with an overpopulation of foxes then a cull is more humane. Imagine this: Being surrounded and chased down by men on horses carrying guns with blood-frenzied dogs yapping at their feet. Of course you would be scared out of your skin and the fox feels this worse. Have you never watched Lassie? Therefore, I conclude that hunting is bad unless it is subsistence hunting or in the form of a humane cull.

ReputationRep:
    May I point out how its interesting how most of the people on here are male... And practically ALL of them are pro-hunting. Silverbolt, I despair over YOU. Obviously you think humans are supreme and all that bull which has been fed to us with a spoon through religion and media. But you don't understand, of course animals hunt they have to hunt to eat but we do not need to hunt because meat is labelled, packaged thing which is served to us by large buildings called shops. Unfortunately, I suppose I will not be able to drill my message in due to abnormally thick skulls being present

ReputationRep:
    I'd luck to hunt (for sport) people that hunt animals for 'sport'. They can have guns too, I don't care. It'll be thrilling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Angry? Not really, I just hope you guys who class shooting/killing/maiming/trading great apes, tigers etc etc get your comeuppance one day.
    I would never do any of those things, and strongly condemn those who do.
    Some animals simply should not be hunted for a host of reasons.

Q: How is wandering around with a bow/high powered rifle/whatever weapon killing these creatures classed as a sport?
    Because it's a test of a host of physical, mental and technical skills.
    Sometimes I wonder how chess is a sport...but then I go ouh yea "mental skills"

Definition of sport is a hotly debated subject, as someone who studies Sports Science, I get roped into this debate far more than I would like.

Bottom line though, it is and a lot more firmly than some other "sports"

A: It isn't amongst civilised people.
    Actually it is, and has been for thousands of years.

Though I appreciate the sentiment of trying to imply that I am uncivilized which is generally concurrent with unintelligent/dirty/stupid etc.

So as a veiled insult 4/10.

It would be a fair game if someone was hunting you at the same time, otherwise it is a completely one sided battle, see the target down the scope from x distance pull the trigger target destroyed, no more future generations of these wonderful creatures, wow what a guy, give yourself a pat on the back because you are the big man here.
    What on earth are you on about my dear friend?
    Killing one member of a healthy populated species does not destroy the species.
    9/10 of ten a Hunter will only go after older stags or members of the family, ones that are past mating age and have already sired numerous offspring, and we tend to stay clear of females as well for that reason.
    In the two pictures I have in the OP for example, both are elder's.
    Unless of course we are hunting for local councils/authoritys in urder to cull numbers.

Culling fair enough, hunting species to/near extinction is not cool.
    Couldn't agree more.

Hate the ****ers that do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    May I point out how its interesting how most of the people on here are male... And practically ALL of them are pro-hunting.
    I pointed this out to, with the added comment that it seemed to be a lot of women(in my personal experience) who were against hunting.

I was labled stupid and sexist...

Silverbolt, I despair over YOU. Obviously you think humans are supreme and all that bull which has been fed to us with a spoon through religion and media. But you don't understand, of course animals hunt they have to hunt to eat but we do not need to hunt because meat is labelled, packaged thing which is served to us by large buildings called shops. Unfortunately, I suppose I will not be able to drill my message in due to abnormally thick skulls being present
    You do realize that meat you get from buildings called shops is from animals that are raised in horrific, truly cruel and disguisting conditions, they live there entire lives in cramped inhispitable conditions, never knowing life or freedom, are pumped full of drugs and chemicals, then unceramoniously slaughtered on mass.
    It's meat is used(and mostly wasted in our soceity) and it's carcass is usually just dumped.

Yet somehow, hunting an animal that has led a rich full life in the wild, quickly and humanely, showing the animal respect and a quick death, then utilizing it's entire corpse.
    Is somehow "worse" to you?

At least I have the moral fortitude to kill my meat myself and give my respect and thanks to the animal for it's bounty, and not eat the disgusting immoral factory farmed meat and pretend nothing bad is going on.

Christ on a crutch really.

ReputationRep:
    If we are talking about subsistent hunting like Inuits etc then I am fine but for humans from the western world to go out and kill animals is not right because you are not going to eat the Oryx
    Ehhh yes I did, all of it's meat was eaten, and we used it's pelt and bones as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Ah yes, it seems I have been - my apologies. What sort of hunting do you do?

I'm sure using a bow is quite the challenge, but I still don't see the glory in defeating something that had no chance of defeating you. You can compete against other humans over who is the better shot, but unless you're a bad hunter and set the animal running, you might as well both (all) pick a rock on the landscape and whoever hits it wins.
    Very little to be honest - rabbits and such like mostly - im not part of a major hunting group and dont have a huge interest in doing so at the moment. Even the wood shoots we do are against targets not animals.

Also its not that easy as just walking up to an animal and letting loose, thier senses are far superior to ours and a lot of the time they get away and oft without the hunter getting a chance to shoot

ReputationRep:
    May I point out how its interesting how most of the people on here are male... And practically ALL of them are pro-hunting. Silverbolt, I despair over YOU. Obviously you think humans are supreme and all that bull which has been fed to us with a spoon through religion and media. But you don't understand, of course animals hunt they have to hunt to eat but we do not need to hunt because meat is labelled, packaged thing which is served to us by large buildings called shops. Unfortunately, I suppose I will not be able to drill my message in due to abnormally thick skulls being present
    Supreme? No and ive never said as such. Dominant on the other hand, we are unequivocally the dominant species on this planet and we have no natural enemies within our societies save each other. I dont think we are supreme, we are all part of nature no matter how much we try to get away from that with or modern lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I'd luck to hunt (for sport) people that hunt animals for 'sport'. They can have guns too, I don't care. It'll be thrilling.
    It's called warfare, and take it from me, while there is a certain thrill, it's more intensely mind-numbingly scary.

ReputationRep:
    It's called warfare, and take it from me, while there is a certain thrill, it's more intensely mind-numbingly scary.

dot dot dot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    dot dot dot
    Question mark?

ReputationRep:
    Ehhh yes I did, all of it's meat was eaten, and we used it's pelt and bones as well.
    That's not the point. The point is that it is unnecessary seeing as we already have meat on shelves. And yes, most of it is made in horrific ways but a wrong and a wrong don't make a right so there is no point in hunting really.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the point. The point is that it is unnecessary seeing as we already have meat on shelves. And yes, most of it is made in horrific ways but a wrong and a wrong don't make a right so there is no point in hunting really.
    You have yet to show me how hunting is wrong, especially when done as a humane alternative to factory farming.

ReputationRep:
    I pointed this out to, with the added comment that it seemed to be a lot of women(in my personal experience) who were against hunting.

I was labled stupid and sexist...

You do realize that meat you get from buildings called shops is from animals that are raised in horrific, truly cruel and disguisting conditions, they live there entire lives in cramped inhispitable conditions, never knowing life or freedom, are pumped full of drugs and chemicals, then unceramoniously slaughtered on mass.
    It's meat is used(and mostly wasted in our soceity) and it's carcass is usually just dumped.

Yet somehow, hunting an animal that has led a rich full life in the wild, quickly and humanely, showing the animal respect and a quick death, then utilizing it's entire corpse.
    Is somehow "worse" to you?

At least I have the moral fortitude to kill my meat myself and give my respect and thanks to the animal for it's bounty, and not eat the disgusting immoral factory farmed meat and pretend nothing bad is going on.

Christ on a crutch really.
    For your information, I do not eat meat so this does not really apply to me. And no, I am not in any way a vegetarian. Of course, your point would be perfectly valid if you could somehow persuade the world to give up intensive farming and take up your method of using a bow and traps to quickly kill animals but only to eat. However, as this is not going to happen due to politics and for ease of consumption etc your point is feeble. If anything, you are just killing more animals because one person refusing to eat shop bought meat is not going to reduce the amount which is farmed and put on the shelves. I admire that you think about the value of animals but please tell me, what sorts of animals do you kill?

ReputationRep:
    For your information, I do not eat meat so this does not really apply to me. And no, I am not in any way a vegetarian.
    By virtue of not eating meat...you are a Vegetarian.
    That is the definition.

Of course, your point would be perfectly valid if you could somehow persuade the world to give up intensive farming and take up your method of using a bow and traps to quickly kill animals but only to eat. However, as this is not going to happen due to politics and for ease of consumption etc your point is feeble. If anything, you are just killing more animals because one person refusing to eat shop bought meat is not going to reduce the amount which is farmed and put on the shelves.
    Yes but my argument doesn't rest on "Im hunting for meat" that is not my primary purpose, it's a secondary benefit at best.

My prime purpose has always been the test and thrill of the hunt, secondary purpose is occasionally to offer the animal to the Aesir when that is required.
    Occasionally I hunt purely for meat, but that's usually when I am with family in America and we wan't to put on a big spread, and it's as much a way of saying "Cheers for putting me up for these weeks, heres a few weeks worth of meat as a thank you."

I was merely stating that "Hunting is cruel" isn't an argument when compared to the meat industry.
    Since you don't eat meat, I of course realize that this argument does not apply to you , since you recognize it's cruelty.

ReputationRep:
    I would never do any of those things, and strongly condemn those who do.
    Some animals simply should not be hunted for a host of reasons.
    Good, sounds like you have a reasonable soul.

Because it's a test of a host of physical, mental and technical skills.
    Sometimes I wonder how chess is a sport...but then I go ouh yea "mental skills"
    Difference being a game of chess does not end in death for one of the parties.

Definition of sport is a hotly debated subject, as someone who studies Sports Science, I get roped into this debate far more than I would like.

Bottom line though, it is and a lot more firmly than some other "sports"
    For it to be a sport both participants need to be willing to play. The animal wins its life if it wins so it is not really a good game as it should at least get a years worth of food and a good long break from being hunted by man haha, it is like me deciding to play a game of serial killer without warning the other players.

Hunting for survival fine, hunting for sport not fine.

Actually it is, and has been for thousands of years.

Though I appreciate the sentiment of trying to imply that I am uncivilized which is generally concurrent with unintelligent/dirty/stupid etc.

So as a veiled insult 4/10.
    You seemed a bit cocky in your op about how you'd be killing bears and mountain lions or whatever it was you were implying, I didn't like it. It seemed uncivilised to me.

What on earth are you on about my dear friend?
    Killing one member of a healthy populated species does not destroy the species.
    9/10 of ten a Hunter will only go after older stags or members of the family, ones that are past mating age and have already sired numerous offspring, and we tend to stay clear of females as well for that reason.
    In the two pictures I have in the OP for example, both are elder's.
    Unless of course we are hunting for local councils/authoritys in urder to cull numbers.
    You should have made this clear in your OP. Though they have enough **** to worry about without having you chasing after them playing Indian warrior and slitting their throats in the name of sport.

Couldn't agree more.

Hate the ****ers that do it.
    We agree then :cool: You should hunt them for balance.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would post this Video here as it offers a good insight into Deer Stalking and more importantly Culling.

Culling being the reason most large game hunters, hunt.

It's an official vidio from the Scottish Highlands Estate group BASC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnjODzok7MM

There are some graphic scenes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.