Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj_1995)
    I said equal magnitude and equally spread field lines too, but I'm thinking they're looking for something else aswell.
    I reckon one mark would be for saying they're parallel and directed at the Earth's centre/perpendicular to the Earth's surface. The other one would be for saying they are equally distributed/equal in magnitude I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supes180)
    So what's the general consensus? Hard, ok or easy? Any ideas about grade boundaries?
    I reckon: 53 for A*, 48 for A. It was a relatively straightforward paper, much easier than Jan 2013.

ReputationRep:
    I said equal magnitude and equally spread field lines too, but I'm thinking they're looking for something else aswell.

(Original post by Edmundith)
    I mentioned they'd be very nearly parallel and directed at the Earth's centre of mass. Probably got 1 mark. I thought of 'evenly spread/equal strength' just as the papers were being collected in! So I couldn't write it...

(Original post by Muhammadjamal)
    i did same i put that the lines were parrallel to each other and perpendicular to the surface of the earth
    Missed out that it's equal to free fall, I'm guessing that's the other Mark.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to do an unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a nice paper, but 6bii stumped me. I almost got it in the end, but I had to put down my pen before I could write down my final answer. ):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jullith)
    Quite a nice paper, but 6bii stumped me. I almost got it in the end, but I had to put down my pen before I could write down my final answer. ):
    I hate it when that happens. What was 6bii again?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went pretty well. The only question I'm sure I dropped marks in was the last one. For the change in area question did you guys get something like 5*10-3. And for the for change in velocity question did you guys get 3.2, with the area under the graph being 8 so 8 divided by the mass. And for the example of resonance in everyday life I said tuning a radio, not sure if that is every day though.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it was alright...stupidly added the volume for the last question and i think the last part of q5 i ran out of time before i could answer it completely so i essentially just wrote down the equation p=f/a..anyone know how many id lose for both of those mistakes? first was out of 3 and 6bii was out of 4?
    and g boundary predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edmundith)
    I hate it when that happens. What was 6bii again?
    The one about more gas being pumped in, and you had to find the new pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustFacts)
    I thought it went pretty well. The only question I'm sure I dropped marks in was the last one. For the change in area question did you guys get something like 5*10-3. And for the for change in velocity question did you guys get 3.2, with the area under the graph being 8 so 8 divided by the mass. And for the example of resonance in everyday life I said tuning a radio, not sure if that is every day though.
    I think that the area under the graph was 8 squares, each square had magnitude 5, so Ft = 40 then you divided by mass = 16.

ReputationRep:
    http://library.thinkquest.org/18188/...moons/rhea.htm

Also orbital speed of Rhea is 8.49KM/S...which is pretty much what I got!

ReputationRep:
    I only realised you had to label the boyles law curve with a few seconds left so luckily put p on the y axis and 1/v on the x axis. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustFacts)
    I only realised you had to label the boyles law curve with a few seconds left so luckily put p on the y axis and 1/v on the x axis. Also for the orbital speed question I got 17.01ms-1 by doing vsquared =gm/r. Was that correct?
    your supposed to use the mass of saturn not the mass of the moon.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from my usual arithmetic slips (about 1 million of them per paper), the only questions which puzzled me for any length were the tire pressure (contact area) question and the final question about final pressure of the container.

I reached an answer to them both, however they're probably not the right methods...!

For the tire contact area questions, I eventually got something like 0.003.. Well, that was the change of area in square metres, anyway. I used p=F/A (with 9.81x"mass of the car" for F) and the pressure before to work out the 'area' (wherever this is) beforehand, then with the pressure I worked out after to find the 'area' afterwards. Then the difference between them was my answer.

For the final question, I simply added pV of the added gas to the pV of the container before to find the pV of the container after. Then I divided by the volume of the container (0.05m) to find the new pressure. It only just occurs to me that the added gas would increase the number of moles / molecules in the container mind you.

I also didn't label the graph correctly.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the area under the graph was 8 squares, each square had magnitude 5, so Ft = 40 then you divided by mass = 16.
    I also got this.

ReputationRep:
    That's right, I remember getting 16ms-1.

I also really liked the special case of newton's second law question. I remember wondering in January if that would come up then or not.

ReputationRep:
    For the last question, did anybody find the moles of the added air, added that to the original to get something around 307 moles. Then used pV=nRT?

I used my volume as 1.55m^3, I'm now getting the impression that I am a complete idiot and shouldn't of added the volumes together.

I should hopefully still get around 2/4 or 3/4 for this right?

Also for the question about the room with dimensions, did people get the time to be around 217 seconds and the mass of the heated gas at something small like 9.3x10^-3 kg?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan Gregg)
    For the last question, did anybody find the moles of the added air, added that to the original to get something around 307 moles. Then used pV=nRT?

I used my volume as 1.55m^3, I'm now getting the impression that I am a complete idiot and shouldn't of added the volumes together.

I should hopefully still get around 2/4 or 3/4 for this right?

Also for the question about the room with dimensions, did people get the time to be around 217 seconds and the mass of the heated gas at something small like 9.3x10^-3 kg?

Thank you.
    217 seconds sounds familiar, and I think your next part is also correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan Gregg)

Thank you.
    I got this. That question really through me off though with the 32MJ of energy per cubic meter. Did we need to use that or not? I got 217 without using it and it sounded reasonable so I moved on.

And can't remember for the mass but I ended up just doing density x volume.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote down "0.12" m^2 for the area question, but I am certain it's incorrect

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 13, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.