Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Welfare change opponents chat a pile of **** watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just read about that film- it sounds like it could have deeper meanings..

Anyhow what's your point in referencing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    There are PLENTY of smaller houses if one were to look hard enough.
    Like in Hull?

5000+ people looking to downgrade and there are about 70 properties for them to move into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Like in Hull?

5000+ people looking to downgrade and there are about 70 properties for them to move into.
    70 social housing properties I suspect.

Like I've already said, housing benefit also covers those in the private sector, to the tune of £250 a week for a one bedroom property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    Why should see be GIVEN a house bigger than she needs? Where do you draw the line?? One spare bedroom? Two? Five? So, she has to move out? Like people WORKING don't sometimes have to downgrade? It amazes me, the opinions on here. There are people who WORK, who can barely afford more than a shared house; yet it's then seen as a terrible hardship, when people who DON'T work, can't have a spare bedroom. I understand those who point out exceptions, such as having ill residents who need space and care, but seriously, examples such as the above?!

Sod it, why not just give everyone a mansion, while we're at it, just so we don't get accused of being "uncaring". The mind boggles.......
    First off stop going on the whole people who dont work vs people who do work thats getting a bit boring, it should be done on individual circumstances where a family can afford to pay for the extra room, as peoples situations change and it should not be a simple case of spare room = pay for it. There is not enough housing to rehouse everyone all this is going to do is make the poorer even poorer. I can tell by your post you have no clue as to how this bedroom tax is being enforced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    I suggest you read the posts leading up to that.
    If you are referring to posts by other people, then fair enough, there have been some detestable comments. But my point still stands.

Like I've already said, housing benefit also covers those in the private sector, to the tune of £250 a week for a one bedroom property.
    Private rents often cost more than social housing, which will in turn cost the government more in housing benefit. Good way to save money...

ReputationRep:

5,000 people looking for homes in Hull, only 750 properties according to Zoopla, 1-3 bedrooms. You'll find most of them don't accept anyone on benefits as standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    5,000 people looking for homes in Hull, only 750 properties according to Zoopla, 1-3 bedrooms. You'll find most of them don't accept anyone on benefits as standard.
    I wouldn't either if I were a landlord but that is beside the point.

They can move out of Hull for all I care, or accept that their benefits will reduce.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't either if I were a landlord but that is beside the point.

They can move out of Hull for all I care, or accept that their benefits will reduce.
    Where to? Why should people be forced to move from the town they were born and raised and be separated from all their friends and family?

If you lost your job and had to go live in Dundee, how would you feel?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.