Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Prime Minister said he was “very concerned” about the threat from North Korea and warned that Pyongyang now has capabilities to strike the United States and Britain.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...st-the-UK.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    You're telling someone else their notion of something is a romantic and glamorous (and wrong). You do acknowledge that you don't really know what you're talking about - but you want to sound like a wise old head anyway.

Asinus asinum fricat. One virgin telling another how great fellatio feels.
    Yes and you want to sound like an over-educated know-it-all whose memory for Latin quotes makes their argument stronger.

Still don't get why you're defending the glorification of war. I guess it's the disassociated voyeuristic stance you can take since in this instance it doesn't directly affecting you in any way. Which is a product of desensitisation thanks to all forms of media.

My ex girlfriend is Korean and the thought of someone enjoying the idea of her (and many of my friends) being nuclear bombed hits a nerve.

But yeah you're right. I don't know anything about it. Let's all go and annihilate each other. It's probably great - I have no idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They can't attack the UK however any attack against the United States requires the UK as a powerful member of the NATO allegiance to involve ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    They can't attack the UK however any attack against the United States requires the UK as a powerful member of the NATO allegiance to involve ourselves.
    But why is Cameron saying they have the capability to strike tho whole states and us? Misspoken? A "you'll be the next Iraq" to NK? New intelligence, perhaps NK backing up its "well hit you with cutting edge stuff" with something more concrete? Their Iranian pals did get hold of that cutting edge US drone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    Are we all going to perish?
    If you're in the UK then no.
    If you're in the US or south Korea then chances are no.

I think it's all a massive bluff.

ReputationRep:
    - David Cameron "concerned" by North Korea.

- "Iron Man" in Seoul

- Russian foreign ministry deems North Korean behaviour "unacceptable"

- North Korean websites hacked

- Mass rallies in North Korea in support of Kim Jong Un

- South Korea's main stock market falls to a four-month low amid continuing escalating threats from North Korea

- UN Secretary General "deeply concerned"

- South Korean tanks and helicopters in drill to enhance combat readiness

- Mid-range missile stationed on North Korean east coast (capable of reaching as far as the US territory of Guam and possibly further)

Source - North Korean missile threat: latest live - Telegraph

ReputationRep:
    I never actually thought a war with North Korea was a possibility, I have always thought it would just continue with empty threats until the line of leadership was broken in a few decades time and the country would begin to open up. But an actual Nuclear war is frighteningly close to happening it's probably not been this dangerous since the cold war, luckily the North Koreans don't have the technology to cause any serious thread to this part of the world.

I think we might have to invade regardless of whever they attack first or not because if we just let North Korea carry on what happens when they do eventually develop nuclear weapons capable of striking Mainland America and other western areas? we can't afford to let them get that far.

ReputationRep:

SOURCE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)

SOURCE
    Top of your page:

Latest
    16.42 David Cameron has given a far more definitive statement about North Korea's potential to launch a nuclear sttack on the UK than he suggested in an article for The Daily Telegraph this morning, claiming that it is a "fact" that Britain is within North Korea's range.
    It is not clear if the Prime Minister misspoke, or if he revealed new information based on increased intelligence of Pyongyang's nuclear capabilities.
    ??

You'd think they might call him for clarification.. So him not clarifying would be deliberate..

ReputationRep:
    For all who might be interested - search for a film called 'Threads'. It's a 1988 British Bafta award winning documentary style film about the aftermath of the UK being nuked. It's set in Sheffield and is quite a poignant story.

Probably available on YouTube - it was there last time I looked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Top of your page:

??

You'd think they might call him for clarification.. So him not clarifying would be deliberate..

Well that's something.

There are two sides to this:

1. Either Cameron deliberately said this in order to argue for Trident, or

2. He accidentally misspoke, or

2. The UK and US governments and intelligence agencies have gathered new information which has not be released to the general public.

With No.3, suddenly this statement by North Korea is no longer "rhetoric" anymore:

The General Staff of the Korean People's Army said it was formally informing Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

ReputationRep:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04...ickr-accounts/

Oh great. Just what we need. World poised on the edge of nuclear war and a bunch of guy Fawkes wannabies screwing around with their computers.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's something.

There are two sides to this:

1. Either Cameron deliberately said this in order to argue for Trident, or

2. He accidentally misspoke, or

2. The UK and US governments and intelligence agencies have gathered new information which has not be released to the general public.

With No.3, suddenly this statement by North Korea is no longer "rhetoric" anymore:
    With most of Irans best scientists being North Korean and Iran capturing that spy drone a few years back it does seem possible that NK could make something of a leap in some technological areas in the time they've had to study it. Plus it would give those who possessed the information something to trade with the likes of Russia for information in other areas.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ike-against-UK

More on his comments. You'd think if he'd misspoken he'd have clarified it by now. Perhaps thats what the express were waiting for during the delay between the times's and their article.

ReputationRep:

More on his comments. You'd think if he'd misspoken he'd have clarified it by now. Perhaps thats what the express were waiting for during the delay between the times's and their article.

To be honest, you'd think that if the UK and US were particularly worried about North Korea striking against them on their mainlands, that they would urgently put safeguards in place.

But did you hear about the US going to enhance its missile defense systems on its mainland - and yet, the timescale for that is in the next few years. And guess when the Guam missile defense system is being implemented - "in a few weeks". If an attack is imminent, you'd think they'd speed it up to a few days or as quick as possible.

We'll just have to keep watch in the next few days as North Korea has implied that an attack is imminent and this is further enhanced by their actual actions - i.e. moving of mid-range missile to their East Coast (which is a serious escalation).

In addition North Korea's primary targets are the United States and/or South Korea and then Japan comes next etc. The UK is not particularly the focus of North Korea so I highly doubt we should be worried about being struck by some North Korean secret advanced weapons - the American populace on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    North Korea have nowhere near the capabilities to attack the UK. Besides if a nuke is coming in that direction it will be taken down by either China, India or NATO bases in Turkey, or by the Turks themselves.

There funny things up in space which can determine where a missile came from and where it's heading..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If I'm wrong then someone please say, but I don't really see why so much concern has been raised over David Cameron's comments. He basically just regurgitated what North Korea said the other day didn't he? They said "We can hit any part of the US", and if they can then they can also hit any part of the UK because London is about 500 miles closer than even New York. Nothing was said about that though, everyone just said "oh they don't really", and moved on, now Dave has said it again in a context that could impact us and everyone's scared.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you'd think that if the UK and US were particularly worried about North Korea striking against them on their mainlands, that they would urgently put safeguards in place.

But did you hear about the US going to enhance its missile defense systems on its mainland - and yet, the timescale for that is in the next few years. And guess when the Guam missile defense system is being implemented - "in a few weeks". If an attack is imminent, you'd think they'd speed it up to a few days or as quick as possible.

We'll just have to keep watch in the next few days as North Korea has implied that an attack is imminent and this is further enhanced by their actual actions - i.e. moving of mid-range missile to their East Coast (which is a serious escalation).

In addition North Korea's primary targets are the United States and/or South Korea and then Japan comes next etc. The UK is not particularly the focus of North Korea so I highly doubt we should be worried about being struck by some North Korean secret advanced weapons - the American populace on the other hand...
    But if their formal notification thing arrived with some other information people here can't just magic up the defenses.

Is this the start of a back down?

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/04/po...-s-/?hpt=hp_c1

You don't usually concede that your partially to blame on the eve of war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    If I'm wrong then someone please say, but I don't really see why so much concern has been raised over David Cameron's comments. He basically just regurgitated what North Korea said the other day didn't he? They said "We can hit any part of the US", and if they can then they can also hit any part of the UK because London is about 500 miles closer than even New York. Nothing was said about that though, everyone just said "oh they don't really", and moved on, now Dave has said it again in a context that could impact us and everyone's scared.
    They were/are thought only to be able to hit the US west coast at most.

ReputationRep:
    They were/are thought only to be able to hit the US west coast at most.
    That's my point, everyone said that after the North Korean's told us about their amazing range, but now Dave's told us the same thing, everyone is concerned about it. There's nothing to suggest that he's received some kind of special intelligence, or that he misspoke, he just repeated what we've already been told.

Evidently, you're not one of these people of course

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.