Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwshaw89)
    I would have thought it was the opposite?

Intelligence is something that can be - and is - more accurately measured. While test score and academic qualifications aren't cast iron proof that one person is more intelligent than another, it is an indicator in most cases. Obviously people possess different kinds of intelligence, but it's a more gaugeable quality.

Beauty is more to do with opinion (the eye of the beholder...) Case in point: Everyone who knows him thinks Stephen Hawking is intelligent, while not everyone thinks Angelina Jolie is attractive.
    You make a good point-I agree with what you say.
    The perspective doesn't contradict the reasons I put what I did , I meant kind of in terms of WHY somebody would choose to be more 'intelligent', particularly on a student forum, so maybe I answered the question incorrectly.
    People may wish to be more intelligent, so they can get better grades, get into a better job, get further in life-but there are many people who are extremely intelligent (say if we're going by IQ or tests ) that are in mediocre jobs for whatever reason. There are people who are unsuccessful despite being intelligent by these standards, because their social skills lack or they're shy or under-confident.
    Looks wise-from your example , not everyone thinks Angelina Jolie is attractive, but most people do. There are people who fancy really fat women, a lot of people who find girls with mohawks attractive-a lot of them !But compared to how many fancy slim, conventionally attractive women, not that many.

Another reason I would choose to be better looking rather than intelligent I admit, is biased. I have two degrees-but I have had a couple of jobs since having them, and was unsuccessful in both, because my face/personality didn't fit with other people in these companies, and I wasn't liked by the people I worked with nor did I like most of them.
    I now work in Adult Entertainment, am very very happy working there-so from my personal experiences, I would fare better and be more successful-if I looked better.

*Disclaimer, I am not bitter because I do a job I love, and I am very grateful for my looks-I just wouldn't say no to them being 'better'.
    I hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    You make a good point-I agree with what you say.
    The perspective doesn't contradict the reasons I put what I did , I meant kind of in terms of WHY somebody would choose to be more 'intelligent', particularly on a student forum, so maybe I answered the question incorrectly.
    People may wish to be more intelligent, so they can get better grades, get into a better job, get further in life-but there are many people who are extremely intelligent (say if we're going by IQ or tests ) that are in mediocre jobs for whatever reason. There are people who are unsuccessful despite being intelligent by these standards, because their social skills lack or they're shy or under-confident.
    Looks wise-from your example , not everyone thinks Angelina Jolie is attractive, but most people do. There are people who fancy really fat women, a lot of people who find girls with mohawks attractive-a lot of them !But compared to how many fancy slim, conventionally attractive women, not that many.

Another reason I would choose to be better looking rather than intelligent I admit, is biased. I have two degrees-but I have had a couple of jobs since having them, and was unsuccessful in both, because my face/personality didn't fit with other people in these companies, and I wasn't liked by the people I worked with nor did I like most of them.
    I now work in Adult Entertainment, am very very happy working there-so from my personal experiences, I would fare better and be more successful-if I looked better.

*Disclaimer, I am not bitter because I do a job I love, and I am very grateful for my looks-I just wouldn't say no to them being 'better'.
    I hope that makes sense!
    Ok, I was speaking more in terms of your final point about looks being less subjective than intelligence.

I have no issue with your actual choice. And it's certainly a justified choice given your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwshaw89)
    Ok, I was speaking more in terms of your final point about looks being less subjective than intelligence.

I have no issue with your actual choice. And it's certainly a justified choice given your situation.
    It's an interesting subject-though maybe a new thread altogether!
    If it's a given that intelligence is measurable by tests then yes I agree-it's more objective than looks are-there isn't any test for whether somebody is good looking or not. No matter how good looking I think someone is, it's a given that someone will think they're a minger lol

ReputationRep:
    Extremely good looking. It gets you further with people.

Oh, so long as I could keep my current level of intelligence, which isn't extreme, but is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I imagine both would be as much a curse as a blessing. Being incredibly intelligent would alienate you from a lot of people, as they wouldn't be on your level or might be jealous of your intelligence. And as for being incredibly pretty I think some people would be too "intimidated" to approach you and a lot of people wouldn't be able to see past your looks. Has anyone seen Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister? Cute little film, but Cinderella basically says that nobody ever takes her seriously or sees her as anything except an object or a prize to be won, and they don't realise that she's actually a person. I think it would actually be quite limiting to be incredibly beautiful, especially if you were only average intelligence, people would think there wasn't much to you I suppose. So I'd rather be quite pretty and quite clever, tad above average but not so far above everyone else that it became a hindrance. And above all, I'd rather be someone with a good personality, good sense of humour, doesn't judge people, doesn't lose their temper, fair, all of those things are worth a lot more in the end. Sounds soppy and clichéd but it's also true. At the moment I wouldn't ask to be cleverer or prettier (except maybe if my acne could go away, please?), just less scatterbrained and inclined to procrastination. It would stress me out a lot less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timikji)
    Extreme intelligence which I'd use to make lots of money that I could then use to make myself better looking.
    Yeah you would end up looking like joan rivers with that 'lots of money'.

I am already extremely pretty as guys have fancied me without ever having spoken to me. So my other aim would be to have the ability to access all of my brain so I can simulate a universe.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick intelligence because I'm already somewhat aesthetic

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent and average looking, just as I am now.

Extremely intelligent, i'd use my intelligence to invent a new way of looking attractive.

ReputationRep:
    beauty i think i would have more self esteem being really beautiful then being really intellengent
    obviously either is good
    i want to be an actress so i think looks are more helpful
    the stupid people would probarly annoy me
    also what yidette sai

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothepreacher)

I am already extremely pretty as guys have fancied me without ever having spoken to me. So my other aim would be to have the ability to access all of my brain so I can simulate a universe.
    but if you gained more intellegence then u would loose some of your looks according to the op

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I'm both (not "extremely" though) and I must say that due to being a boy with a crappy personality good looks hasn't been of much use to me. Doing well at school has been far more useful. I suppose it would be different for a female though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Intelligent.

why do looks matter...you'd have the intellectual ability to manipulate ANYONE to fall in love with you.

Lol
    lol then id pick this , id pick the ability to always get whatever i want over extreme beaut y

ReputationRep:
    A year ago i would have said more intelligent but I've been watching way too many animes o_0

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence definitely. Looks is such a superficial quality, it really doesn't hold much value in my eyes when compared with intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    WELL,Im gonna say something that many may not believe....yet its true.So if you're going to neg please don't do it cos you don't believe me.Do it for some other reason.

Given the above choice Id choose average intelligence without any thought whatsoever.

Ha,whats so unbelievable about that you may think?

Well,I would actually prefer to be average in intelligence and average in looks rather than really good-looking or really intelligent:eek::eek::eek:

Now,Id be happy to leave it there but Im gonna try to explain in order to keep the negs down

I sincerely believe that intelligence is overrated.:eek:

Now,please don't misunderstand.I don't mean that Im not impressed by intelligence.Nor do I mean that I don't find intelligence attractive.In fact to me theres nothing sexier than intelligence in a woman.

I REALLY would rather have an intelligent girlfriend than a beautiful one.

No,I mean its overrated on a personal level.

Im nothing special intelligencewise yet I spend nearly all my time reading books.

But I consider that desire to read books to be a waste of my life.But my intelligence makes reading too enjoyable.

And watching almost any tv programme or any hollywood movie is obviously a no no.

But the worst thing of all is that I think too much about the unbelievable amount of suffering in this world.

And Id really rather not.

I want to take my mind off of all the suffering but the papers I read are good ones and so they report this suffering in depth and the books I read also emphasise this.

Basically I want to have whatever amount of intelligence a person needs to not think too much about such things and to just hang out with friends,watch the footie and Pop Idol.

Now,looks.

I know what its like to be both very attractive and very unattractive!

When I was 13-17 I was so unattractive and shy that if a girl looked at me Id blush.

But by the time I was 24 I was very very attractive.Now before you all neg me for saying this let me tell you that I also have a really girly pathetic voice.I make David Beckham sound butch.:eek:

So Im really not showing off in any way.

And believe it or not I never ever felt comfortable being able to attract a beautiful woman without doing anything.

Thats the point.

I would love to be able to attract a beautiful and/or intelligent woman because I had done something worthwhile and she thought I was worth being with.

But the truth is I've never done anything in my life that DESERVES the attention of any woman worth having(I don't like saying 'worth having' but you know what I mean).

There have been times when the MOST beautiful woman in a bar has made it clear that she's mine for the night if I don't **** up.....and Ive nearly always declined:eek:

And the thing is it isn't damn well easy to do that.I mean the woman has no idea why Ive turned her down and I want to explain to her but that would make it worse.

And then there are girls who I have hurt,really hurt without ever meaning to or even ever really doing anything!!!

Believe me I'm just not cut out for hurting people especially not women.And the fact is if you're good-looking you can't avoid it.You just can't.

If you're still finding this hard to take in then think about those people who feel that they are the wrong sex.

Almost impossible to imagine isn't it?

Its the same for me.I feel I was given someone else's face.

Inside Im Mr Average at best.

I feel really comfortable being average-which I am if I don't shave for days and don't go in the sun so look really pale and put on some weight so my cheekbones don't stand out so much and my body isn't too attractive.

And thats what I do.Stay up all night,avoid the sun,eat,avoid exercise.As a result of a few years of this I'm now averagely attractive...but of course still have my girly voice...so not at all sexy.

But I'm happier.If only I could forget what Ive read Id be very very happy

okieeeee doookieeeee..

WELL,for the last few weeks Ive somehow managed to have reps.I admit I've enjoyed being able to give rep-hardly ever neg cos quite frankly I'm on this forum partly to read comments I don't like or agree with .

So if you could try to leave me with a handful,that'd be cool,lol

but if not,I understand

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent. What's the use of being beautiful if you're dumber than cheese? At least intelligent people generally have an interesting personality, so intelligence is greater than beauty, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothepreacher)

Not necessarily. For many people, a personalised, stylish wardrobe, a good haircut, and good makeup for women, are all they need to look far more attractive. All this can be bought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you rather be extremely intelligent and average looking (not ugly), or extremely good looking with average intelligence (not thick)? I have to admit I would rather be stunning with average intelligence. Mainly because its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common (I'm not saying its very common though). Also if you have average intelligence you can still work hard, get a good degree and a good career. You might not be able to do a physics phd but you can still do well in life. Also being good looking is known to help you get jobs, employers are known to subconsciously favour good looking candidates in interviews even in jobs that have nothing to do with image.
    Intelligent - "better to be a dissatisfied Socrates than a fool satisfied" - Mental over physical pleasures (John S Mill - Util Ethics)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.