Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Lol I'm pretty much lined up for rejection then. To be honest I don't even want to go to LSE my parents are just forcing me to apply . What I don't understand is how can they reject someone with near perfect grades bar GCSEs. I've also been told personal statement doesn't have that much of a significant compared to results/predicted. I've also read they have a tight quota meaning 50% girls/boys so if there's more boys applying then they level it down to 50/50, which I think is bs.
    No - LSE are known to be both GCSE and personal statement nazis. Someone else on TSR who applied with A*A* in maths/further maths already at the time of applying (in upper sixth) also got rejected. No idea why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingmango)
    I'm thinking of applying for Maths with Economics, my GCSEs were 7A*'s, 3A's. AS grades were 4A's in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemsitry. Predcited grades 4A*'s/3A*'s 1A. I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement and was just wondering what they look for other than grades? Is anyone else applying for Maths and economics and what were your grades?
    You grades are very good and you've done the academic parts of the application. Now all that's left is a get good reference and very good PS and you'll be on track. Show your passion and knowledge on your PS, make it really subject orientated, don't go off the track much and make sure everything you say in PS is getting across why you want to do the course. For the personal statement, you can write 75/25 on maths/economics or even 100% totally maths as that's normally fine. It is good to get some economics in there as well. Are you applying for maths and economics at other places? Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Lol I'm pretty much lined up for rejection then. To be honest I don't even want to go to LSE my parents are just forcing me to apply . What I don't understand is how can they reject someone with near perfect grades bar GCSEs. I've also been told personal statement doesn't have that much of a significant compared to results/predicted. I've also read they have a tight quota meaning 50% girls/boys so if there's more boys applying then they level it down to 50/50, which I think is bs.
    But GCSEs count as grades as well. You have to realise there's a certain number of people they'll take for each course per year, and for some courses up to twelve-fifteen times as many people apply. Many people who apply have great A levels so how can you differentiate them, it has to go down to GCSEs and Personal Statement, as LSE have no interview policy.
    Results/predicted are more important generally than personal statement, but again many people will apply with good GCSEs + AS levels + predicted, so personal statement is often the thing that decides who gets offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slayer12)
    But GCSEs count as grades as well. You have to realise there's a certain number of people they'll take for each course per year, and for some courses up to twelve-fifteen times as many people apply. Many people who apply have great A levels so how can you differentiate them, it has to go down to GCSEs and Personal Statement, as LSE have no interview policy.
    Results/predicted are more important generally than personal statement, but again many people will apply with good GCSEs + AS levels + predicted, so personal statement is often the thing that decides who gets offers
    Are you at LSE now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    I applied last year for Maths with Economics and got rejected - I think it was down to my GCSEs and personal statement. I'm also reapplying this year for the same course :lol:

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 2B
    AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics) - I also included my UMS which averaged at 98%.
    A2 (what I was predicted when I applied, and what I then went on to achieve) : A*A*A*A*

As you can see, the only downfall was my slightly below par GCSEs and, in my opinion, an average PS. Hopefully they take me this year
    Good luck on your application then! and with those grades achieved, you should be fine getting in! If you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply last year and how come you're replying. Also, what was it that made your PS 'average' and what do you suggest adding. I think I have the grades needed, and extra-curricular in terms of non-academical stuff but what else could I include that is to do with maths as I haven't done much extra stuff to do with maths, except reading 1 book and attending 1 lecture? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I plan on resiting some of my as modules. would I still be considered by LSE?

Also, my predicted grades are a grade above what I achieved at as level. So would I be selected based on my predicted grade or actual as grades?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slayer12)
    You grades are very good and you've done the academic parts of the application. Now all that's left is a get good reference and very good PS and you'll be on track. Show your passion and knowledge on your PS, make it really subject orientated, don't go off the track much and make sure everything you say in PS is getting across why you want to do the course. For the personal statement, you can write 75/25 on maths/economics or even 100% totally maths as that's normally fine. It is good to get some economics in there as well. Are you applying for maths and economics at other places? Good luck
    Thanks! I've attempted show knowledge and passion in my PS but i think it just needs more substance, what else do you suggest putting in it? I think I'm applying to 4 other unis just for straight maths, but i went to the open day for LSE and loved it and really want to go into finance which I think LSE could be useful for. Thinking about Warwick, Bath, Bristol and Edinburgh for my other unis. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingmango)
    Good luck on your application then! and with those grades achieved, you should be fine getting in! If you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply last year and how come you're replying. Also, what was it that made your PS 'average' and what do you suggest adding. I think I have the grades needed, and extra-curricular in terms of non-academical stuff but what else could I include that is to do with maths as I haven't done much extra stuff to do with maths, except reading 1 book and attending 1 lecture? Thanks
    Thanks! Imperial, Warwick, Bath for maths and QUB for actuarial science. Offers from all those. Firmed QUB (Im from NI wanted to stay) but instantly regretted it so reapplying. PM if you're interested in anything more

ReputationRep:
    If my forecast grade is A*AAA for three sciences one math. Is it possible to get into lse for accounting and finance?

ReputationRep:
    SPM 9A+ 1A. Forecast alevel grade A*AAA possible to get accounting and finance in lse? Three sciences and one math

ReputationRep:
    Applying for Law at LSE as an International

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am going to apply straight Econ at LSE, and I am wondering about whether apply for two courses will disadvantage or advantage me in the application process? I am thinking about
    Mathematics and Econ , Straight Econ
    Have you known someone who applied two courses at the same Uni before?
    Thanks anyone for answering my question.
    Urgent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    No - LSE are known to be both GCSE and personal statement nazis. Someone else on TSR who applied with A*A* in maths/further maths already at the time of applying (in upper sixth) also got rejected. No idea why.
    Agree with the personal statement bit, but I actually know of a few people who've gotten into some of the most competitive courses at LSE without amazing GCSE's (well, they had 3-4 A*/A's and a few B's). They had very good A levels, personal statements and references though. I myself got in with mostly a string of B's at GCSE and 2 A's but then BMS, though fairly competitive isn't a patch on Economics or Maths with Econ or something.

I think average/below average GCSE grades can be compensated for in the LSE application. From my experience and the few people I know who've gotten in, the personal statement is absolutely critical.

Wouldn't worry with your grades though .

ReputationRep:
    Am going to apply for Economic history but thinking that my AS grades, ABB, are going to really limit my application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by di_1996)
    Hi guys,
    I am going to apply straight Econ at LSE, and I am wondering about whether apply for two courses will disadvantage or advantage me in the application process? I am thinking about
    Mathematics and Econ , Straight Econ
    Have you known someone who applied two courses at the same Uni before?
    Thanks anyone for answering my question.
    Urgent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Certainly doesn't seem to help your application, because it looks like you either haven't decided fully on your degree choice and that you really want to go to a certain university (whilst you may think this is a compliment to the uni, at my open days they all said that it didn't and that they prefer it if students only apply to one course).

2 might be ok, but then you have to justify the maths as well as the economics.

Is there any reason why you want to apply for both courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhiksetia)
    I myself got in with mostly a string of B's at GCSE and 2 A's but then BMS, though fairly competitive isn't a patch on Economics or Maths with Econ or something.
    Could I ask what AS grades you had and applied with? You're predictions and also the subjects? I've been looking to apply for this course and my GCSEs are also pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the personal statement bit, but I actually know of a few people who've gotten into some of the most competitive courses at LSE without amazing GCSE's (well, they had 3-4 A*/A's and a few B's). They had very good A levels, personal statements and references though. I myself got in with mostly a string of B's at GCSE and 2 A's but then BMS, though fairly competitive isn't a patch on Economics or Maths with Econ or something.

I think average/below average GCSE grades can be compensated for in the LSE application. From my experience and the few people I know who've gotten in, the personal statement is absolutely critical.

Wouldn't worry with your grades though .
    I'll just hope that my PS is alright then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    I'll just hope that my PS is alright then
    I'm sure it will be . MY P.S was basically I love maths in different sentences and it worked .

Just out of curiosity, what would be your first choice if you got all offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Stacks)
    Could I ask what AS grades you had and applied with? You're predictions and also the subjects? I've been looking to apply for this course and my GCSEs are also pretty bad.
    I had A's across Chem, Econ, Maths and Further Maths. Think my referee mentioned my Math and Econ AS averages on the reference, which were quite good.
    Had A* predictions for Maths, Econ and Further Maths (I dropped Chem at AS level), though the standard offer and the one I received was AAA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be . MY P.S was basically I love maths in different sentences and it worked .

Just out of curiosity, what would be your first choice if you got all offers?
    HA! You know anyone going to study Maths with Econ?

In order of preference; Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, Warwick, UCL - I think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.