Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well that's Wigan more or less relegated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    not quite yet.. as long as they are within 3pts of the teams above, then on the last day against villa, they have a chance..

Newcastle will have to beat QPR to be safe
    Norwich will have to beat WBA to be safe
    Sunderland will have to beat Southampton to be safe.

But if either of these 3 teams fails to do so (their other game is against a top side) - and wigan beat villa.. then they will have the same points.. and a very very similar GD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I'm a Norwich season ticket holder, and as much as I like to think you are correct, i'm still not convinced.

ReputationRep:
    Need Wigan to try their best to win FA Cup, then fail.

Arsenal can then hopefully play well and lower their goal difference by about 3. And then Villa to win on the last day.

It's all hanging in the balance with Wigan as lets face it, Norwich are going be be lucky to get a point in the enxt 2 games.

Though West Brom are on a poor run of form (LLDWLL) so if they can continue that and we get a draw, or scrape a win. That would be fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    not quite yet.. as long as they are within 3pts of the teams above, then on the last day against villa, they have a chance..

Newcastle will have to beat QPR to be safe
    Norwich will have to beat WBA to be safe
    Sunderland will have to beat Southampton to be safe.

But if either of these 3 teams fails to do so (their other game is against a top side) - and wigan beat villa.. then they will have the same points.. and a very very similar GD
    Norwich only need a point against WBA to be mathematically safe assuming Wigan lose to Arsenal monday night

ReputationRep:
    Wigan would be midtable if they had a proper defense. feel sorry seeing old dave whealen sitting there in the crowd really.

ReputationRep:
    Think it will go to the last day, and perhaps with a few teams in it, although if Wigan loose to Arsenal, a point for Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland will save them at Wigan's expense. Norwich might be bad at winning, but have drawn a lot, so I can see a point or two from them. Newcastle have QPR, so should beat them. Southampton Sunderland has a draw written all over it too. Can' see Villa being an easy win on the last day though, they will want to end the season on a high, and of cource if wigan do beat Arsenal and Villa loose to Chelsea, they could be needing a point at least to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    I can see it being Newcastle, in poor form at the moment and won't get anything from Arsenal, especially as they'll probably still have something to play for, so if they lose to QPR they could be sunk. If Wigan beat Villa on the last day of the season then I think they'll be safe on goal difference, I can't see both Newcastle and Norwich getting a point from their last 2 games.

ReputationRep:
    I think tonights game could have implications at the bottom too. If Spurs beat Chelsea it will put them both under a lot of pressure, Arsenal especially, and will mean both will have a lot to play for next time in the league. That is particularly bad for Wigan, as they play Arsenal next, and then play Villa who could be under pressure again if they loose to Chelsea and everyone below wins. Tonight's result could also play a part when it comes to Newcastle and their last game against Arsenal, and Sunderland and their last game at Spurs. The only one not directly effected is Norwich, as both teams they play have nothing to play for. Still, they need to play well to get anything out of those games, and they haven't been recently.

ReputationRep:
    Wigan aren't out yet. I think 38 points and good goal difference will keep a team up. I can't see Norwich picking up any more points.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine all three from Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich winning this weekend. The team that fails to win could well go down. Sunderland do have their superior goal difference however so even losing their last two games could mean they stay up as that is technically a point in itself. That draw they scraped on Monday night was so vital. It means Wigan must get something from Arsenal for Sunderland to even be in the relegation battle. The others on 38 don't have that luxury.

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised... if
    • Spurs fail to better Chelsea's result (tomorrow)
    • Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich all fail to lose (tomorrow)
    • Arsenal beat Wigan (on Tuesday)

There'll be nothing to play for next weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I've just realised... if

Well in theory Newcastle have lost tomorrow.... because it is a sunday game :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    Well in theory Newcastle have lost tomorrow.... because it is a sunday game :rolleyes:
    OK, today is "tomorrow" so my statements should all "work" now. Satisfied?

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised... if

Could happen too - Norwich have West Brom who have nothing to play for; Newcastle play QPR; Sunderland host Southampton. I'd be very worried if I were a Wigan fan...

ReputationRep:
    OK, today is "tomorrow" so my statements should all "work" now. Satisfied?
    i'll only be satisfied when we beat qpr

ReputationRep:
    Adios Wigan :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Who do you guys want to go up through the playoffs?

I personally would love to see Leicester back in the premier league. But I think it would be nice to have someone like Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    Then again, if Palace go up, we'll have Ian Holloway back in the prem!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like Brighton, just because then all my friends who support football have a team in the premiership. So it just adds more fun.

And I quite like Gus Poyet too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.