Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in London and nobody did there, most of the buses had a separate exit than the one beside the driver so you don't get the opportunity to even if you wanted to... Now I live in the south west and I say thanks, not many others do though. I just think its polite!

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you to the bus driver, when I get on and off. I personally don't know why I say it when I get on, maybe thanks for actually stopping. It's gonna kill me in London by people not saying thank you! Do the bus drivers say thank you in London or speak?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not seen it in London but in Bristol people always do (at least whenever I've been on the bus).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do say thankyou to the driver but to be honest I'm the only one sometimes, I dont know why. I think theres no harm in being polite plus they are providing us a service.

ReputationRep:
    I live on the Wirral not far from Liverpool. I don't often get the bus but i use my schools bus and always say thanks to the driver. They almost always appreciate it too, if you have the same driver for a while they get to know you a bit better. Common courtesy goes a long way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia 1)
    Yep I say it when I get on too, I usually get ignored if I say it when I get off
    I usually can't be bothered and I think it's nicer to say it to their face i.e thanks for stopping for me, letting me get on, the ride etc

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you. It's hardly a lot of effort so why not?

TBH it's just complete habit now, most of the time i don't even realise i've done it. I remember when my Mum and I went to London we got some weird looks for saying thank you though.. It's just different wherever you go I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I always, always say thank you, unless the bus driver's been rude to me, or particularly pervy..a lot of them are around here But I think it would be weird getting off a bus without saying anything.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I use the transport everyday and have rarely seen it on the buses here in London but what is surprising outside of London e.g oxford, Cambridge and other places with their local transport people even teenagers do have good manners. But that does not mean people in london don't since they may be too busy I.e rush hour...I'm sure it's a different case when buses are less packed...also I guess other places have a really close community where everyone is familiar with everyone and london is a big city...

at the end of the day I guess it's about the every persons intentions...people should treat or behave towars people like the way they would want to be treated

/at last

ReputationRep:
    In Nottingham it's very common for people to say thank you. I always say thank you because my dad is a bus driver and at the end of the day it's their job, if their job is to get you from A to B, then they have done a job well.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you, it's practically automatic now :yes:

ReputationRep:
    In central London, there is no interaction with the driver since everyone swipes their Oyster cards. The bus in London felt more like being on the tube - nobody talking to anyone.

I always thank the driver when I get off the bus, not because I want to thank him for doing his job so much but more just an acknowledgement since it seems weird to get on and off without acknowledging them sitting there. A bit like going into a small shop and not saying hi to the shopkeeper etc.

ReputationRep:
    I get off buses with college students mostly, and they all tend to say thank you/cheers etc. I always say cheers unless the driver isn't paying attention - it's nice to be nice
    --
    Oh and if the driver did a crap job... ours nearly ran into a car the other week because he was too busy being angry at someone who showed up to the bus stop late.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you to the bus driver when I get off the school bus, and so do my peers. Unless he's a really grumpy, dangerous driving maniac.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always like to say thank you when getting off the bus. The only time I really catch the bus is to and from college, and we generally only have one of two drivers, so everyone knows them and thanks them when getting off. They usually return the nicities with a "take care" or such, so it's nice.

There's only one bus trip I can remember recently where I haven't wanted to say anything to the driver when getting off. In the 40 minutes I was on the bus he'd managed to shut the door in 2 people's faces, and I don't think he said a word to anyone beyond telling them how much to pay.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.