Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    And there you go. Congratulations once again on the title.

I cannot believe what has just happened to our season in these last 7 days. Completely and utterly thrown away all the hard work. We didn't play to win tonight, we definitely played for a draw, and to lose it like that right at the end absolutely destroys you and quite frankly it was deserved. Can't believe why we played so negatively... Roderick came on when there were still 25 MINUTES to play ffs..

I'm just at a loss of words right now... we won't win the Europa League either, which is not a big deal (or rather, I've never expected us to beat Chelsea), but we've lost the league very embarrassingly once again... and to think we celebrated as if we'd won the title against Maritimo... what a joke..
    I'm shocked.

Benfica played for the draw, like you said, and to sit back and waste time like that too was quite bad tactics!

I have to say i actually feel sorry for Benfica. I slightly understand how you're feeling seeing as i imagine it to be the same as my family right now. This house fell silent when Kelvin scored - i didn't even cheer. I was just surprised.

Benfica deserve to win the league.. We really don't. JJ will have to pick them all up for Wednesday and i'm sure he will but they will just have to forget about the league for one night and focus on the Europa final. Too many games in such a short space of time will no doubt be one of the main reasons for the fall of Benfica in these past few games.

But that is exactly why i'm not going to get too excited yet. I know Paços have that CL place now but anything can happen and it really isn't over until that final whistle next week!

I've just realised it was Liedson who got the assist... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what an end to the Porto Benfica game. Can't see past Chelsea for EL now.

Eriksen confirms he's in talks with Dortmund

This is a great replacement plan if true! Another wonderkid in a largely similar mould and probably at a profit.

Thoughts? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

This is a great replacement plan if true! Another wonderkid in a largely similar mould and probably at a profit.

My god haha they know how to restock talent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

Depends, he's from the Dutch League so it can go either way, he could be big just like Suarez did, or he could do an Afellay, I think BVB would be a good club for a bigger club, he can surely prove himself now, all they need to do is buy a new striker, probably Dzeko.

Erikssen has a disadvantage though, Bundesliga teams like Munich has strong defence, and Eriksen won't be used to this, and his height will also be a problem as he can easily be barged off, another thing is that he sometimes drifts in and out of games, he's a goal poacher but like Schrulle of Leverkusen he's can drift in and out of games, he's a good player but in a player you'd like constitant performances.

ReputationRep:
    So apparently Ribery is furious with Boating for pouring beer on him since hes a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough that he is furious at it being poured purposely on to him but he was taking part in the celebrations so alcohol was going to touch him at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    Fair enough that he is furious but he was taking part in the celebrations so alcohol was going to touch him at some point. Needs to stop being so touchy.
    Funny part is his morals are a little dodgy. Thinks its okay to mess about with underage prostitutes yet no alcohol? :laugh:

Can't pick and choose the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Funny part is his morals are a little dodgy. Thinks its okay to mess about with underage prostitutes yet no alcohol? :laugh:
    It is a weird rule really. Age of consent is 14/15 but you can't legally pay them until they are 18(?), Should just be all in if you agree people are mature enough to have sex :dontknow:

Although I would have thought a devout religious man wouldn't be sleeping with random people anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is a weird rule really. Age of consent is 14/15 but you can't legally pay them until they are 18(?), Should just be all in if you agree people are mature enough to have sex :dontknow:

Although I would have thought a devout religious man wouldn't be sleeping with random people anyway :p:
    Exactly if he wasn't screwing around with underage prostitutes I might understand however he has and hes pick and chose his rules to follow so no real sympathy from me.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly if he wasn't screwing around with underage prostitutes I might understand however he has and hes pick and chose his rules to follow so no real sympathy from me.
    Agreed :yep: I had forgotten about that before my earlier post. Free for all then Bathe him in beer :p:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed :yep: I had forgotten about that before my earlier post. Free for all then Bathe him in beer :p:
    Ahahaha :laugh: Agree though there was no way he was gonna be able to avoid the beer. Its freaking Germany for gods sake

Neuer as well drenching some random girl :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Even if he's religious it doesn't mean that he's perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough that he is furious at it being poured purposely on to him but he was taking part in the celebrations so alcohol was going to touch him at some point.
    Touch him? He got bathed in it by Boateng lol. It's not as if he it was a gulp of beer splashed on him, from this picture, it seems he's adorned a blonde wig!

Boateng and his team mates were in a beer-fuelled mood so anything was getting a dumping of it but can understand Ribery's annoyance at it especially if his team-mates were aware, and I imagine they were, that he didn't want to be dripped in alcohol. Regarding the other stuff he's done, meh, no-one's perfect. Ribery looks like the sort of guy you don't want to tick off.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 419)
    Wow, what an end to the Porto Benfica game. Can't see past Chelsea for EL now.
    The match will be kick off tomorrow. In my point of view both of them have the same chance to win. I expect a final at eye level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    It looks like Kelvin's 92nd winner for Porto has edged them towards winning the league. :eek:

Crazy end at the Dragão.
    I thought you'd win the league :lol: was watching the match and I saw roderick come on and benfica pretty much wasting time not trying to win the game. That's what you get personally. :lol: Porto are my favourite portoguese team(go figure), what do you think about VP then? I know the past season you've been saying he should be out but he's won the league twice in 2 years :lol: maybe he could do better in europe though but tbh bar winning the europa league the best you can hope for is a QF with the competition atm.

ReputationRep:

Can't pick and choose the rules.
    A lot of religious people are like that though. The ones that smoke but yet don't drink is probably the oxymoronic example of choose-picking religion. Don't want to get into a religious argument but Boateng shouldn't have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    The match will be kick off tomorrow. In my point of view both of them have the same chance to win. I expect a final at eye level.
    Depends how motivatd Benfica can be. They've been on a bad run of form lately.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know ribery was a muslim. Interesting. Oh well he should just man up tbh such a ***** fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I thought you'd win the league :lol: was watching the match and I saw roderick come on and benfica pretty much wasting time not trying to win the game. That's what you get personally. :lol: Porto are my favourite portoguese team(go figure), what do you think about VP then? I know the past season you've been saying he should be out but he's won the league twice in 2 years :lol: maybe he could do better in europe though but tbh bar winning the europa league the best you can hope for is a QF with the competition atm.
    Ha, we haven’t won anything yet so I am not getting excited as a lot can still happen. This weekend we have a big game against third in the table Paços. They have already sealed the third Champions League place last weekend so they technically have nothing left to play for, BUT they are currently unbeaten in their last 9 home games so I’m pretty sure they’ll want to make it 10 out of 10 and finish on this tremendous and dream season for the little club with a win.

As for VP, I think a lot will depend on this weekend. If we win the title it’ll be quite harsh not to offer him a new contract because like you said, that would be two titles in two years having only lost once in those two years. We failed miserably in Europe last season (both in the CL and the Europa where we were like a Championship side getting absolutely thrashed by City). This season although we were better in Europe, we still weren’t great. We lost in the final of the Taça da Liga (equivalent to the League Cup over here) but most importantly we were out in the Fifth round of the Taça de Portugal (equivalent to the FA Cup) which isn't great. Our league performances haven't been great with more than a few dodgy tactics thrown in along the way by VP and it’s only the fatigue of Benfica that has made us in this position now. Our performances have not been worthy to win this league and Benfica deserve it much more than us. VP has never really warmed to Porto fans but he had a lot to live up to once AVB left. As soon as we failed in Europe last season that was enough for fans to get on his back. I can't decide whether i want him to stay or not. He deserves to at least be offered a new contract but i don't think he'll ever be as successful in Europe as JM and AVB were for us and some of the football we play is ugly. The attention he is getting to become the Everton manager is somewhat baffling too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.