The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shadow-Man_4
No I'm not talking about the prefix mistake.

When I calculated the gradient, I used y-0/0-x but the graph didn't start from zero. That's a mistake I did due to time constraints as I was short on time due to wasting 20 minutes drawing the wrong gradient then realizing that was wrong.

Anyway, I got h to be 4.1x10^-34 but the gradient calculation had an error. How much do you think that costs out of 6?

if your drew your graph through the origin then you'll most probably get full marks because they said to use your graph. There's always error carried forward.
Reply 201
Original post by Reactive
For the last question i wrote lost volts due to internal heating in the wire since no wire wound resistor was used and also volts reading intervals where inconsistent. Correct?

seems correct, don't remember the question fully if they didn't state anything regarding the set up (like perfect setup) u might get the marks.
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
if your drew your graph through the origin then you'll most probably get full marks because they said to use your graph. There's always error carried forward.

From what I understood, he said he didn't draw his graph through the origin, but when calculating his gradient, he did y0x0\dfrac{y-0}{x-0}, which would only be the gradient if the graph passed through the origin.
Reply 203
Original post by Luxlo
These Notes are great! :smile: Do you have any for the Paper 8 next week?
Thank you!

nope sorry i dont
Reply 204
Original post by kaju
heyc guys whr can i get the unit 2 passprs and marking sheme frm 2009 onwrds its not available in the edexcel website

its there, i heard its being updated so it might get clumsy some times, try again http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/physics/Pages/default.aspx
The graph goes through the origin?
I know it follows the y=mx without the c...so it should go through origin. But the line of best fit cuts the horizontal axis (x-axis) doesnt it?
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

That's the thing, my graph didn't start from 0,0 it started from 1.5,1 (don't remember the actual number, just an example) but the line did cross the place of what should be the origin, if that makes sense. Will I lose 1 mark max for that or is it more?
(edited 10 years ago)
For the spring constant experiment I didnt read the question properly and I drew the wrong diagram, in the question I kept on referring to the wrong diagram but my method was correct (f=kx thingy). Will I still get the marks despite getting mixed up? Or will I lose everything? :frown:
Original post by thextractor007
How did you get 5.54x10^-34?
What did you get for gradient. I got one hence I got h to be 5.3x10^-28

I didn't have a graph through the orgin so i ****ed up abit
Original post by ramanan
well u might get a mark for tht i assume, because wht u stated is correct.
i don't remeber if it was a one mark or for two mark ?
if it was for two u sholud have stated about the actual value of s.of light being either low or high to make the calculated value low.

well i'm saying all this and all other post from my experiance in pastpaper ans scheme and Exm.report only :wink: so don't rely on my comments

The question had 1 mark and it was something like this: Assuming your calculations are correct,the real planck constant value is 6.63x10^-34Js.Explain(or suggest a reason) why your answer is different from the original value.

I included speed of light in vacuum as 3.00 x 10^8 m/s and stated that speed of light in air is much less
(edited 10 years ago)
Please could someone tell me what ID is acceptable for a UK resident to sit the IGCSE Physics exam in the UK as an external candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
I got 6.67 X 10^-34 from the graph. All the others got 6.0 and lower. So am I wrong??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NilFBosh
I got 6.67 X 10^-34 from the graph. All the others got 6.0 and lower. So am I wrong??

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get that? Most of them who drew from origin without breaking scale got around 4.x. Those who broke scale or didn't draw from origin got 5.x...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Original post by awesomesoccerfan
The question had 1 mark and it was something like this: Assuming your calculations are correct,the real planck constant value is 6.63x10^-34Js.Explain(or suggest a reason) why your answer is different from the original value.

I included speed of light in vacuum as 3.00 x 10^8 m/s and stated that speed of light in air is much less

Then u might get the mark.
Original post by Relaxedexams
How did you get that? Most of them who drew from origin without breaking scale got around 4.x. Those who broke scale or didn't draw from origin got 5.x...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I broke the scale down (just the y-axis one) and my first result was an anomali (so my line of best fit didn't go through that point) and, my graph didn't go through the origin, but I got a 4 . sumin answer. how exactly are the marks given for the graph? :/

Latest

Trending

Trending