Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    New to the Arsenal Thread. Followed it a while back but not very much since being at University.

I think the draw against Everton was fair. Yes we needed to win, but Everton to me are the top end of the 'lower league' teams. Therefore one of the difficult games when looking at our run-in. We certainly missed Rosicky, which is strange because he has been out for the majority of this season, yet only now can we begin to see the dimesion that he brings to our attack.

A quick thought on Giroud, I don't dislike him. But looking at how our Midfield is shaped (Cazorla, Wilshere & Arteta), I do sometimes believe that he isn't being used to his full potential - He is most threatening in the air, but our midfield likes to create build-up play along the ground and then look for gaps in which the CF can be played into. Giroud isn't that CF in my opinion, he's not the best CF at bringing the ball from the final third of Midfield, and drifting past players towards the goal. Which leaves our Midfielders having to do so (Rosicky in particular, which may be why we missed him as Wilshere & Ramsey struggle at doing so).

(Original post by Tayub16)
    New to the Arsenal Thread. Followed it a while back but not very much since being at University.

I think the draw against Everton was fair. Yes we needed to win, but Everton to me are the top end of the 'lower league' teams. Therefore one of the difficult games when looking at our run-in. We certainly missed Rosicky, which is strange because he has been out for the majority of this season, yet only now can we begin to see the dimesion that he brings to our attack.

A quick thought on Giroud, I don't dislike him. But looking at how our Midfield is shaped (Cazorla, Wilshere & Arteta), I do sometimes believe that he isn't being used to his full potential - He is most threatening in the air, but our midfield likes to create build-up play along the ground and then look for gaps in which the CF can be played into. Giroud isn't that CF in my opinion, he's not the best CF at bringing the ball from the final third of Midfield, and drifting past players towards the goal. Which leaves our Midfielders having to do so (Rosicky in particular, which may be why we missed him as Wilshere & Ramsey struggle at doing so).
    :football: Great first post, I mostly agree with that. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere has been nominated for PFA Young Player of the Year award along with Bale, Hazard, Lukaku, Benteke and Welbeck. Bale will obviously win it though.

(Original post by J.Star)
    Wilshere has been nominated for PFA Young Player of the Year award along with Bale, Hazard, Lukaku, Benteke and Welbeck. Bale will obviously win it though.
    Not if he wins PotY. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Not if he wins PotY. :rolleyes:

Ronaldo did :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely chuffed to hear about the new ticketing scheme today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-8580555.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...es-season.html

(posted two links in case people want to avoid adding hits to the daily hate)

I'm past the age for this , but some of my cousins who can't afford to go will definitely be able to take advantage of this. Shame it doesn't extend to Cat A games, but it's still really good the club has done this. I hated all the negative press we got this season about prices. While it is in fairness partly deserved, the press never took up the case for some of the ridiculous prices we've had to pay this year (I went away to Carrow Road and it was 45 quid, and the Norwich fans only had to pay 25 for the match at ours). Glad we've taken this step. 800-1000 seats isn't a hugely massive amount, but it's a start and I'm glad Arsenal are leading the way among the big dogs in showing a bit of class and consideration to our young fans. It's still 800-1000 more than Chelsea, Spurs or United. Very pleased! For the kids who can take advantage of this, it will be a lot more like going to football in our parent's generations. A tenner every few weeks isn't too bad and you'll be able to sit with your pals, and like minded people. Well done Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    Heard today the last home game is Tuesday night now because the FA cup final there will probably be about 10 people there for the 'lap of appreciation' at the end this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Absolutely chuffed to hear about the new ticketing scheme today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-8580555.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...es-season.html

(posted two links in case people want to avoid adding hits to the daily hate)

I'm past the age for this , but some of my cousins who can't afford to go will definitely be able to take advantage of this. Shame it doesn't extend to Cat A games, but it's still really good the club has done this. I hated all the negative press we got this season about prices. While it is in fairness partly deserved, the press never took up the case for some of the ridiculous prices we've had to pay this year (I went away to Carrow Road and it was 45 quid, and the Norwich fans only had to pay 25 for the match at ours). Glad we've taken this step. 800-1000 seats isn't a hugely massive amount, but it's a start and I'm glad Arsenal are leading the way among the big dogs in showing a bit of class and consideration to our young fans. It's still 800-1000 more than Chelsea, Spurs or United. Very pleased! For the kids who can take advantage of this, it will be a lot more like going to football in our parent's generations. A tenner every few weeks isn't too bad and you'll be able to sit with your pals, and like minded people. Well done Arsenal.
    At least ticket prices are not gong up next season.

ReputationRep:
    if podolski doesn't start:::

ReputationRep:
    I never feel confident playing Fulham, especially away. Hopefully Rosicky starts.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or has there been a lack of praise for Ramsey given how strong his recent performances have been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Is it just me or has there been a lack of praise for Ramsey given how strong his recent performances have been?
    He's starting to get the credit he has been long over due from his performances but he should be getting acknowledged a lot more imo. Consistently one of our best players game in game out for a few months now! Keep it up Rambo, I always had faith he'd come good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    from who?

he got man of the match last two games in a row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    He's starting to get the credit he has been long over due from his performances but he should be getting acknowledged a lot more imo. Consistently one of our best players game in game out for a few months now! Keep it up Rambo, I always had faith he'd come good!
    Yeah half agree. It's because you've been poor and people look for scapegoats. Ramsey hasn't been amazing but he is coming good. I guess he's just not a spectacular player who you see running 40 yards with the ball from midfield without being tackled(wilshere) but I always thought he'd come good. So do you think that ramsey will stay as a holding midfielder/DLP then? Seems to have the attributes for it. Good passing, got energy to run around and get tackles in think he's going to shine next season. Ramsey, wilshere and cazorla should be the pairing next season I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah half agree. It's because you've been poor and people look for scapegoats. Ramsey hasn't been amazing but he is coming good. I guess he's just not a spectacular player who you see running 40 yards with the ball from midfield without being tackled(wilshere) but I always thought he'd come good. So do you think that ramsey will stay as a holding midfielder/DLP then? Seems to have the attributes for it. Good passing, got energy to run around and get tackles in think he's going to shine next season. Ramsey, wilshere and cazorla should be the pairing next season I think.
    I don't seem him as the deepest midfielder (i.e. the position Arteta is currently playing), but CM/box to box (i.e. the role he is excelling in now) is definitely the position that suits him best. If he can play few more of those long balls, that he is certainly capable of, regularly and adds some goals to his game he is going to be top-class player.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Walcott is a player that isn't really being used as much as he should be. He should be the central attacker he's always putting good balls in but the only player in the box is always Giroud who is practically useless, that miss against Everton did it for me, that guy needs to go

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    His tackling stats are actually exceptional so I would certainly be open to seeing Ramsey and Wilshere as our deepest midfielders. He is certainly no Anchor Man, a la Yaya Toure, but if he sits back far enough and has a supporting player next to him in Wilshere, it could work with them complementing each other. Santi of course in front in his floating playmaker role will drop deep at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    I don't seem him as the deepest midfielder (i.e. the position Arteta is currently playing), but CM/box to box (i.e. the role he is excelling in now) is definitely the position that suits him best. If he can play few more of those long balls, that he is certainly capable of, regularly and adds some goals to his game he is going to be top-class player.
    I guess so. I think he would be good replacing arteta though personally. Thought he was a DLP but coming to think of it he's more of a box to box player, don't see him running a lot with the ball like JW does on the ball so thought he was a DLP. Still think he could make a good DLP though, plus he'd probably be needed to be put there if wilshere is playing in the CM/BBM role or shunted out wide. It's gonna be hard accomodating both of them in midfield in the future if they have the same role.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

Substitutes: Mannone, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Podolski

Fulham

Schwarzer; Manolev, Senderos, Hangeland, Richardson; Enoh, Sidwell; Ruiz, Emanuelson, Kacaniklic; Berbatov

Substitutes: Etheridge, Riise, Hughes, Karagounis, Frei, Rodallega, Petric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    His tackling stats are actually exceptional so I would certainly be open to seeing Ramsey and Wilshere as our deepest midfielders. He is certainly no Anchor Man, a la Yaya Toure, but if he sits back far enough and has a supporting player next to him in Wilshere, it could work with them complementing each other. Santi of course in front in his floating playmaker role will drop deep at times.
    Agree with this. Yaya toure isn't really an anchorman anymore(like he was at barca and how song plays for barcelona now) think mikel is probably the best example of an anchorman in this league. But yes I think a wilshere/ramsey pairing would work out pretty well for the future. Still would need a bit more physicality in midfield but I think ramsey could bulk up a little personally to bring physicality in midfield. He isn't the fastest player anyway so I don't think it'll affect his game too much.

Santi would obviously drop into CM to help out a bit too.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.