Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    A charity event where people were running for good causes and it's been bombed. Horrific. Astounding what atrocities this world conjures up. It's not even just in the US, in Baghdad today 31 were killed from an explosion. It needs to stop.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't think so. Too many people are calling and it's all congested, like New Years.
    People are being advised to text as it's not so demanding on the towers.
    I read on the BBC they've shut the mobile networks down so bombs can't be detonated remotely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    This attack is really confusing. Destroying the World Trade Centre made sense. Bombing the Londun Underground made sense. Bomibing... a marathon and a library?! You could do so much more damage elsewhere.

30 killed and 200 wounded by 23 separate bombs in Iraq too btw. Not that anyone cares.
    I suppose it's easy access, and would be easy to get away in the panic. Plus if Boston is being targeted for some specific reason apparently this is a pretty big event for them, they take it very seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    Okay, it was slightly harsh, but on what grounds are you blaming this on the West?
    I did not imply in anyway it is the fault of the west however my statement meant that I'm curious wether this will cause another invasion

ReputationRep:
    So people make insensitive comments on the whole situation.

That's Sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Need? This is the internet, people don't do things out of need.

I warned anyone viewing, you had the choice not to look.
    I wish I had the option not to look at your sig gif. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Why did the WTc and 7/7 make sense?

Posted from TSR iPad
    That's pretty obvious surely? Their aim was to cause as much damage to the US/UK as possible. Hijacking planes and running them into the WTC cost america literally hundreds of billions of dollars. Its got to be the most successful declaration of war of all time.

Hitting a subway system similarly causes a big economic impact.

Bombing a marathon just kills people and nothing else. Why would you do that?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    Ahh ok, I didn't know this. What I said was the story earlier on or at least it was the then assumption.

Thanks.
    There's a lot of confusion surrounding everything still to be honest! Still not sure what actually happened at the library, whether it was a fire, controlled explosion or another explosion part of the attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    No police made a live statement on CNN. 4 explosions, first two, then a controlled det, then another explosion at the library they are treating as connected.

That image was just grim.
    Oh, there's been four? I just thought it was the first two then the EOD controlled one.

Nothing confirmed yet and nothing from a decent news source, but apparently they've detained a Saudi national. Take this with a pinch of salt, it is the NY Post.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...9uC2PDGIjYBalO

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked and saddened to hear this. Particularly now people have died and lost limbs (multiple limb loss in some cases).

My sympathy goes out to each and every person affected by this. It's no consolation, but these victims need all the support they can get right now.

And in case it has not been said already, I would like to praise the emergency services of Boston for their sterling efforts in ensuring as many lives as possible are saved, and as many people are unhurt as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamlondon)
    I did not imply in anyway it is the fault of the west however my statement meant that I'm curious wether this will cause another invasion
    Potentially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Bombing a marathon just kills people and nothing else. Why would you do that?
    Symbolism. Today's Patriots' Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Need? This is the internet, people don't do things out of need.

I warned anyone viewing, you had the choice not to look.
    Regardless of people having the choice to view the picture, you very much know that people will still view it. This is the Internet (as you say). Take your insensitivity elsewhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's just something very amateur-ish about this whole thing, especially considering the targets and the size of the explosions.

LE: Apparently an unattended military bag in front of Deaconess Hospital

ReputationRep:
    Warning, graphic image/s:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...ombing/100495/

Here's footage:
    http://www.boston.com/video/viral_pa...=2303076923001

Sorry if these have been posted before, I haven't kept up with this thread.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    Suspicious bag found 'dumped' at the hospital emergency room.
    Do you have a source for this?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    JFK Library ‏@JFKLibrary 56m
    Investigators are investigating. Any tie to Boston Marathon explosions is pure speculation. More information as we receive it.

JFK Library ‏@JFKLibrary 56m
    Fire in building is out, appears to have started in the mechanical room of new building. All staff and visitors are accounted for and safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    There's a lot of confusion surrounding everything still to be honest! Still not sure what actually happened at the library, whether it was a fire, controlled explosion or another explosion part of the attacks.
    Police statement said it was a bomb that they haven't confirmed was related but they are treating it as such, there was a controlled explosion on Boylston Street.

ReputationRep:

New video of the first response.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.