Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In health and wealth, for the question to what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?

Do you have to bring in what the government has done to reduce social and economic inequalities or can you just say the improvements in social and economic inequalities? Thanks if anybody replies

ReputationRep:
    Essay plans are the bane of my life

Infact, modern is the bane of my life.

Does anyone have any predictions for Decision Making In Central Government?? I hate that topic so much and it's the one I always do worst on, so any help is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youjustburnkid)

Indeed. In fact, M/S is the only subject which I'd go so far as to say I regret taking. I would much rather have done, say, Latin which according to my friends is very interesting but not particularly difficult. Although saying that, I don't think modern in itself is conceptually difficult, but there is too much to remember.

ReputationRep:

Does anyone have any predictions for Decision Making In Central Government?? I hate that topic so much and it's the one I always do worst on, so any help is appreciated!
    The past six years the question has either been to do with Parliament and Government or Pressure Groups. Last year it was something to do with the PM's powers, so if you think it's going to follow the same pattern, this year it would be on Pressure Groups. I wouldn't rule the other areas out though, they could easily throw a Cabinet or Civil Service question at us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendycfc)
    Yep, i was thinking it would be opposition of the CPC and that was the question in my prelim. I will probably just learn those 2. Thanks man

Would the social and economic reform question be the move to market economy question?
    Yeah, more or less. 1978 -> Economic reforms. 1970's = virtually no private sector in China -> 2010 = 75 % private sector. GDP average annual growth rate around 9%. Blah de blah and then how it has affected the Chinese people.

Wealth: Average incomes up for all BUT large inequalities still exist in wage difference between urban/rural people and migrant workers. More than 600 million lifted from Poverty over last few decades. The number of billionaires: 2003 = 0 -> 2009 = 130.

Education: improved (Government now provides 9 years of compulsory and free education) HOWEVER large inequalities still exist in teaching standards between those in rural/urban areas. Children of parents living in rural areas or whose parents are migrant workers are less likely to attend school due to associated costs.

Health: improved ALTHOUGH huge inequalities still exist between the rich and the poor. Poor cannot afford ‘pay as you go’ healthcare system and end up attending the ever growing number of ‘Black Clinics’. Rich can afford private health care. ‘Healthy China 2020 Programme’…
    Just about everybody in China now have some kind of health care albeit basic compared to UK standards. 95 % now covered by government plan compared with 15% in 2000.

That's what I'm thinking anyway. I’d probably have a look at the political reform / democracy question just in case but it’s unlikely to come up. Hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    in the SA unit, i always have just done government policies to reduce social and eco inequalities.. what do you do if it asks you if they still exist i.e not about policies at all, just about social and eco inequalities? can they even do that?

ReputationRep:
    Just throwing it out there but the DME (paper 2) has been wealth for the past 2 years (2012 and 2011) so perhaps a health one is due?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottish19)
    Just throwing it out there but the DME (paper 2) has been wealth for the past 2 years (2012 and 2011) so perhaps a health one is due?

If it was going to be on health, what kinda background knowledge would you revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)
    in the SA unit, i always have just done government policies to reduce social and eco inequalities.. what do you do if it asks you if they still exist i.e not about policies at all, just about social and eco inequalities? can they even do that?
    Ya, they can - if I remember right it came up one year? I can't help though haha, been avoiding that area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzymina)
    If it was going to be on health, what kinda background knowledge would you revise?
    The major areas tend to be:

Heart disease or other illnesses
    Life expectancy
    Alcohol
    Drug misuse
    Smoking
    Use of services - such as prescriptions
    Exercise/fitness

*Basically anything health related that you covered when looking at the course content for questions B5/6

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me how you tackle a SA eco and social government policy question?

i've did aids, education, land reform and housing. the only problem was i only really tackled aids as an issue and their attempt to stop it, didn't really have anything to mention about the white/black inequality

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher thinks the DME will be focusing on alcohol this year. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    could someone post a relatively definitive list of the predicted essays? panic mode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Our teacher thinks the DME will be focusing on alcohol this year. :cool:
    why alcohol im just curious :P

ReputationRep:
    could someone post a relatively definitive list of the predicted essays? panic mode
    Yeah that would be real helpful!! PLEASEE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

(Original post by amber_sss)
    Yeah that would be real helpful!! PLEASEE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no such thing guys.

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for the global security section, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossco18)
    Predictions for the global security section, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Finally someone else who does Global security!
    My teachers prediction is something like the 2007 question, the effectiveness of international responses in dealing with threats to global security etc..

ReputationRep:
    So for voting systems, are most people not going to learn Party List then against FPTP? since some people said far back that they werent taught it much.... just worried it might come up =D thanks for anybody who replies

ReputationRep:

God, same, i completely regret taking it! As for Decision Making in Central Gov my predictions are Pressure Groups (are they good for democracy) or Backbench MPs, that last came up in 2009. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.