Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john51)
    The answer was B, 2.5
    Thank you! I'm sure I guessed that one luckily! Hahaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do the translation of mRNA essay question ? What did you put ?

ReputationRep:
    if anyone knows the correct answers could they post the multiple choice answers on here?

ReputationRep:
    I am a biology teacher - these are the answers to section A Multiple Choice - I am tired but I'm sure these are correct:

1. A
    2. B
    3. D
    4. A
    5. D
    6. B
    7. D
    8. A
    9. B
    10. D
    11. C
    12. C
    13. C
    14. D
    15. A
    16. B
    17. C
    18. A
    19. C
    20. D
    21. D
    22. B
    23. A
    24. C
    25. B
    26. A
    27. B
    28. C
    29. B
    30. C

My scanner is broken so please don't ask me to scan in the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simiantics)
    I am a biology teacher - these are the answers to section A Multiple Choice - I am tired but I'm sure these are correct:

1. A 11. C 21. D
    2. B 12. C 22. B
    3. D 13. C 23. A
    4. A 14. D 24. C
    5. D 15. A 25. A
    6. B 16. B 26. A
    7. D 17. C 27. B
    8. A 18. A 28. C
    9. B 19. C 29. B
    10.D 20. D 30. C

Yes!!! I definitely got 3 C's in a row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah1709)
    What did everyone write for the question on the curled leaf where it asked for the advantage of the leaf bring curled to reduce water loss?
    when it curls there is a smaller surface area so less water is lost via evaporation i think

ReputationRep:

1. A 11. C 21. D
    2. B 12. C 22. B
    3. D 13. C 23. A
    4. A 14. D 24. C
    5. D 15. A 25. A
    6. B 16. B 26. A
    7. D 17. C 27. B
    8. A 18. A 28. C
    9. B 19. C 29. B
    10.D 20. D 30. C

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah1709)
    What did everyone write for the question on the curled leaf where it asked for the advantage of the leaf bring curled to reduce water loss?
    I put that the leaf would be sheltered from the wind. since high winds increase transpiration rate and the leaf was sheltered, transpiration rate would be low as the wind could not easily access the stomata. since transpiration rate would be low, water loss would be low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheydaA)
    when it curls there is a smaller surface area so less water is lost via evaporation i think
    But when it curls it still has the same surface area. the leaf is just a different shspe. its because its shelteted from the wind

ReputationRep:
    The question in section B that some people probably found wierd was the meiosis one. It was actually quite simple but just looked strange.

The four chromosomes were lined up as homologous pairs (with chromatids showing). The plant that they belong to therefore has the genotype RrBb.

(i) The possible gametes from RrBb are RB, Rb, rB, rb.

(ii) The pairs were lined up before 1st meiotic division. You just had to fill in the blanks to make the top chromosome RR and the bottom one bb. The right side one was rr and BB. Much more simple than some might imagine.

(iii) chromatids separate

(b) (i) showed a homologous pair with linked genes:

E E e e

H H h h

Normal gametes would be EH and eh. Recombinant gametes due to crossing over would be Eh and eH.

(ii) Process = crossing over
    Importance = produces variation in gametes leading to possible improvements in phenotype.

I hope thats clear as I am unable to scan in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    But when it curls it still has the same surface area. the leaf is just a different shspe. its because its shelteted from the wind
    but now some of it is under the other part of the leaf so less leaf is exposed, wahh idk i'm most likely wrong

ReputationRep:
    I put that the leaf would be sheltered from the wind. since high winds increase transpiration rate and the leaf was sheltered, transpiration rate would be low as the wind could not easily access the stomata. since transpiration rate would be low, water loss would be low.
    This is correct = you could also say it increases the humidity inside the curled leaf which reduces transpiration rate.

ReputationRep:
    I did that one on photosynthesis and the one on succession. Although my mind blanked halfway through the succession one, but I don't think it went too bad.

ReputationRep:
    The question in section B that some people probably found wierd was the meiosis one. It was actually quite simple but just looked strange.

The four chromosomes were lined up as homologous pairs (with chromatids showing). The plant that they belong to therefore has the genotype RrBb.

(ii) The pairs were lined up before 1st meiotic division. You just had to fill in the blanks to make the top chromosome RR and the bottom one bb. The right side one was rr and BB. Much more simple than some might imagine.

E E e e

H H h h

Normal gametes would be EH and eh. Recombinant gametes due to crossing over would be Eh and eH.

Importance = produces variation in gametes leading to possible improvements in phenotype.

I got the crossing over, but i just said that it produces variation. will i get the msrk for just 'produces variation'?

ReputationRep:

E E e e

H H h h

For ii I thought the question was really unclear, it said made the gametes Rb, so I just filled in the diagrams both RR bb because how does rrBB produce it idk

iii) I wrote like the whole of second stage of meiosis does it matter, I did end by saying chromatids separate.

bii) Can it be independent assortment as that makes recombinants doesn't it?

And for the multiple choice it looks like I got most of the same answers as you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a copy of the multiple choice part of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    For the genotypes of the sex linked genes, were you meant to write X(superscript D)Y and X(superscript D)X(superscript d) etc etc?? That's what I did anyway...

ReputationRep:
    And ahhh please somebody upload a copy of the paper?

ReputationRep:

1. A
    2. B
    3. D
    4. A
    5. D
    6. B
    7. D
    8. A
    9. B
    10. D
    11. C
    12. C
    13. C
    14. D
    15. A
    16. B
    17. C
    18. A
    19. C
    20. D
    21. D
    22. B
    23. A
    24. C
    25. A
    26. A
    27. B
    28. C
    29. B
    30. C

25 was B if it was the one about enzyme activity cos it decreased by half

ReputationRep:
    what is dis paper dat is being discussed?please let me noe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.