Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnighteyes)
    That's still good!! With a little more work you can probably bump up your Cs to Bs.
    Thank you! My D is being remarked as I got a B on one paper and an E on another! Got some weird results on mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganRok)
    Some for having AEE or anyone with more than 1 fail Seriously so harsh
    Where do you go thats extremely harsh
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I know that in the English Combined class at my sixth form, no one got above a C, even people who consistently got As in mocks. Seems a bit odd :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Fudging OCR A Chemistry! But at least I got an A in the coursework... worst part is, on my college website our teachers write a little bit about us for our UCAS references and my Chemistry teacher went a bit overboard :/ Suspect most of it was copied and pasted but still. Made it sound like I was some Chemist genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freetown)
    I agree with that quote but I don't think that person emphasized enough the level of sacrifice and discipline people need after a bad first year. I think a lot of people miss that point.

Good luck to people starting their A2/AS year, I hope you all get the grades that you want.
    I've worked really hard for this AS year and ended with BBDD. This might sound confusing, but how do you know you've done enough work? I thought I'd done enough and reached the limit of 'hard work'

ReputationRep:
    14 people got kicked out of my sixth form up from 2 last year, and some of these people were quite smart.

ReputationRep:
    is it right that 5 of 4 marks seperate us from our dream , but then olympic medals are won in 0.5 secs i guess it is

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got AS grades like ABCC/ABCD and wanting to apply for courses which are AAA/AAB is there any chance applying with those AS's?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly a silly question - As AS results are mixed and a lot of people seem to have done not as well as they hoped, does that mean unis will not consider AS grades as important when making offers next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OHNOGEM)
    Anyone got AS grades like ABCC/ABCD and wanting to apply for courses which are AAA/AAB is there any chance applying with those AS's?
    But you'll probs be predicted 1 grade higher, making your predicted grades me AABB/AABC?? So yes you can apply?

*Anyone correct me if I'm wrong*

ReputationRep:
    I got ACD, I want to apply to ABB-BBB courses. I am dropping the D subject and fast tracking ICT. A was in history and C in politics ( remark for politics unit 2 - 2 marks off of a B overall). Would I be okay applying to ABB-BBB courses with AB and a prediction of a B in IT AS and A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youni-chan)
    But you'll probs be predicted 1 grade higher, making your predicted grades me AABB/AABC?? So yes you can apply?

*Anyone correct me if I'm wrong*
    What if the C is in one of the required subjects.. e.g maths a level for computer science
    does that mean they want the A in maths if the prediction is AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    I know that in the English Combined class at my sixth form, no one got above a C, even people who consistently got As in mocks. Seems a bit odd :confused:
    Same! Only 1 person got a C and the rest of us got D's even though we got A/B in classroom work, something isn't right although I know the chief examiner marked ours

ReputationRep:
    Predicted 4 As and got ABBB

Anyone had trouble with Edexcel S1 and WJEC Spanish? - got As in C1 and 2 but only a C in S1 but looking at the mark scheme I should have got a high B, is it worth a remark?

Also our whole college's Spanish SN1 went down from As and Bs to Ds and Us :confused:
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadzworldz)
    My As results t were not what I expected, oh hunn I feel exactly the same I feel like such a big failure believe me u have not done bad at all I have achieved an E and extremely worried and depressed so yeah I think it was was very harsh or maybe it was just me that could have done better but no I believe they did mark harshly.
    Are u going to resit the year?
    I'm really not sure on what to do. I dunno if I should retake the year or carry on with my grades. Because if I carry on with it, I might not get the grade for uni and btw don't uni's give you offers based on you ASs? I'm screwed. Really confused...:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMuffin95)
    Thank you! My D is being remarked as I got a B on one paper and an E on another! Got some weird results on mine.
    My Politics modules looks so weird U for uni 1 and A (100%) for unit 2

Although I was very ill during unit 1 and didn't finish the paper but yeah its weird explaining it to people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    Yeah I did the Italian unification one as well, hard paper I thought for sure. Loads of people at my school got similar marks to you tbh. Don't worry about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awwh what did you get for it? I think mines worth a remark tbh I can't be bothered to resit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.
    request a photocopy of your paper back, the f322 paper was very simple so there's a lot you can learn from identifying your mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganRok)
    24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

Wow your sixth form actually kicked people out? At least that is the mark of a good sixth form. Mine had this guy who came into class, played nintendo DS all day, failed, they let him retake the year, he did the exact same thing and failed and what did they do? They let him retake the year again. Our tax money at work. I'm sorry but if you flop because you didn't work hard enough you should be kicked out. Education isn't free you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turnip storm)
    I resat two of my physics papers, just to secure my grade. It was a bad choice personally for me to take physics, way out of my comfort zone, but i achieved AAC in the end
    How did your A Levels go?
    i did my alevels years ago. I got 4A's Congrats on yours and going out of our comfort zone! I did Geography and that was the hardest A-level ever for me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.