Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?
    What did you get at AS? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    What about Cs to As?
    How did they manage that?

What about people getting A*/A from Cs?

lol You should be called "I'm not so academic".

ReputationRep:
    I got ACDD at AS then AAB at A2, I suppose you could call that a turn around success story. My first year I figured you could do the same amount of work you did for GCSE and still get good grades (this meant hardly any). I was very shocked with the bad grades and started working properly in A2. I dropped my D in classics, aced a couple resits and then did well in the summer exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thebest786)
    Im in a simialar position, however I did do work. I think it may be more my method that is flawed. Would you mind telling me how you revised & tips & techniques? It would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep of course, I've posted a few here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post44008866 (post 78)

PM me if you need anymore help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Yep of course, I've posted a few here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post44008866 (post 78)

PM me if you need anymore help!
    I got b c d e in my first year of AS in economics,maths,history and latin.Just last week I came out with A* aaa I my A2. The secret to my success was January exams,without them I would have failed for sure.I went from b c d e in 2012 to a a a b in January allowing me to do well in the summer.I feel for all those as students now a2 students who cannot retake in January....what a bummer...........im off to warwick now to study economics.

ReputationRep:
    Missed half of year 12 and only just scraped a BCD in phys maths and chem respectively (which wasn't bad considering) Managed to get A* maths, A in physics and D in chemistry (d'oh!). Would've been nice to get all A's, but hey, could've been much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecogeo)
    I got b c d e in my first year of AS in economics,maths,history and latin.Just last week I came out with A* aaa I my A2. The secret to my success was January exams,without them I would have failed for sure.I went from b c d e in 2012 to a a a b in January allowing me to do well in the summer.I feel for all those as students now a2 students who cannot retake in January....what a bummer...........im off to warwick now to study economics.
    How did you apply to study at Warwick with BCDE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Precisely - your teachers are there for a reason, they're the best resource you have.
    Not always. Terrible teachers do exist. Either those that go mad at students who don't understand initially or are so stubborn in their teaching methods that they refuse to teach in a way that either better engages their student or allows them to grasp the concepts they're conveying quicker (or at all).
    There should be an asterisk next to your statement saying: Assuming they can teach at all.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know had BCCD at AS and pulled it up to AAB and the B was 4 UMS of A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_nguyen)
    Hi guys , I REALLY need advices. I'm international student and i got bad As result yesterday which were lower than i expected . I really put lots of effort this year. CCD which is really bad . Can i progress to A2 ? And should I ? What is maximum i can get for A2 ?. Thank you guys in advance.
    Without re-sits?
    Well let's assume your grades were at the highest whole percentage they can be without reaching the next one so 69%69%59%, Assuming you get 100% UMS across the board you can get :84.5%84.5%79.5% so A*A*B.
    Let's assume they were at the lowest percentage. So you had 60%60%50%. You're maximum would then be A*A*B (80%80%75%)
    With re sits? Well of course the best case scenario there is A*A*A* :P

ReputationRep:
    I found out today my chemistry teacher is predicting me a B for A2 when I need an A prediction.

I really don't know what to do about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I worked soooooo hard at AS, way more than GCSEs

I worked really hard at GCSEs and I didnt even get amazing grades.

Maybe ive reached my limit of intelligence? Does this mean im stupid? LOL

ReputationRep:
    Here's the truth; your A2 results will not improve unless you work for it. I'm not joking, you really need to give it all that you have because if you don't then results day will be daunting for you. Create short term goals for yourself, put them on a check list. E.g. Get an A in the next 4 Biology homeworks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rival_)
    Here's the truth; your A2 results will not improve unless you work for it. I'm not joking, you really need to give it all that you have because if you don't then results day will be daunting for you. Create short term goals for yourself, put them on a check list. E.g. Get an A in the next 4 Biology homeworks.
    Thankss for the advice definitely will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did A Levels for three years.

First Year = CDE.
    Second Year = Dropped the E and picked up an AS. Got DDD.
    Final Year = BCC and got into my firm. Hopefully i can get BBC after my application for a remark.

ReputationRep:
    I really need to ask some serious question. I have already read about the january exams on 2014 which will no longer be available. But i also read that edexcel have made some specific changes to international centers only i.e. outside UK. They said that those candidates outside UK can resit their units on january 2014. I am still not getting the whole matter. I mean see if i want to resit a2 unit like for example unit 4 then do i have to resit unit 5 and 6 as well even though I have achieved good grades in units 5 and 6.
    PLEASE PLEASE reply i am desperate to know. :'(

(Original post by shahlakh)
    I really need to ask some serious question. I have already read about the january exams on 2014 which will no longer be available. But i also read that edexcel have made some specific changes to international centers only i.e. outside UK. They said that those candidates outside UK can resit their units on january 2014. I am still not getting the whole matter. I mean see if i want to resit a2 unit like for example unit 4 then do i have to resit unit 5 and 6 as well even though I have achieved good grades in units 5 and 6.
    PLEASE PLEASE reply i am desperate to know. :'(
    There are no January exams full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?
    Hello, I've seen you on so many threads voicing your opinion
    I know someone who got 3 U's at A Level, retook the U's carried on with A2's and ended up getting AAA and is off to Warwick. So definitely it is possible. Hope it inspires you.
    x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This has given the motivation I need to retake my two AS modeuls which I got Ds in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJustMe17)
    Thankss for the advice definitely will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One more thing; don't forget why you're at college in the first place. You're competing with all the students in the country to secure the best grades you possibly can get A*A*A*.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.