Turn on thread page Beta

Squats and Scooby Snacks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Scoobeus, I've sent David Cameron on a trades mission to meet with you. Please confirm.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking for your log, saw the title and burst out laughing in the ****ter in work.

We're not allowed our phones in work so now I just look really wierd...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    blueception right there. don't do it, just obey the mods for a few weeks
    Well this is ****ing rich.

(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Sadly not, comrade Amskyr.
    Ah sorry, I though you walked in the footsteps of the Red Army. Victory will only be achieved when orders are obeyed in all actions and everyone marches in step.

ReputationRep:
    RIP, Areeb. Can we have a moment of silence for a fallen bro.

ReputationRep:
    RIP, Areeb. Can we have a moment of silence for a fallen bro.
    RIP in pieces, i cry everytime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    RIP in pieces, i cry everytime
    We're next! Although, Hype has made me see the light. I'm turning a new leaf.

ReputationRep:
    Friday 27th December 2013

Shoulders & Triceps - Never been so pumped in my life, it felt orgasmic.

Shoulders:

Dumbbell shoulder press -
    32.5kg X 5, 3
    25kg X 12, 10, 8

Hammer press/lateral raise (superset) -
    40kg/8kg X 11/11, 8/8, 6/6

Side lateral raise/front lateral raise (superset) -
    10kg/10kg X 11/4, 10/4, 9/3

Seated lateral raise -
    6kg X 12

Triceps:

Close grip bench press (smith)
    50kg X 9, 8, 6

Skullcrushers -
    EZ + 20kg X 13, 9, 7

Dips -
    Bodyweight X 8, 7, 7
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So much shoulder volume. What's the difference between a side and a front lateral raise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    So much shoulder volume. What's the difference between a side and a front lateral raise?
    Had planned to do more, although I ended up too pumped.

Sides -

Fronts -

The motion is the same, and you end up in the same place, it's just a case of starting at a slightly different angle. Fronts hit the anterior deltoid a lot more, sides isolate the middle deltoid.

The anterior can handle more weight, so you can grind out a few extra reps when your middle has failed from doing side laterals. Plus, because the weights are in front of you, you can 'cheat' a little on the last rep or too and get a bit of a swing up, and then control the negative, and use that as the stimulus to really fry your shoulders.

I don't think fronts are worth out and out doing on their own, as you're just hitting what you would by pressing, but using them as a superset to really finish your delts off is a nice way to squeeze every last bit out of your shoulders.

Pure bro science, admittedly. This isn't the thread if you want facts and scientifically proven methods :P

ReputationRep:
    Front is a half rom mexican wave and side pretend you can fly.

Dat science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nvmthename)
    Front is a half rom mexican wave and side pretend you can fly.

Dat science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dat explanation. 10/10.

This is my new go to explanation when asked the difference.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for the explanation, brah. I'm happy to internalise this science sceptically unless HFerg comes in like "Scooby pls".

ReputationRep:
    Both of them are ****ty movements because they're initiated by the supraspinatus rotator cuff muscle.

You're better off doing a side lateral raise but leaning towards that side - by leaning your body about 10-15 degrees, you eliminate the involvement of supraspinatus, you shorten the deltoid moment arm and isolate the deltoid entirely. Much safer, much healthier.

Also, I've found anecdotally that internally rotating at the shoulder joint really helps bias the medial delt head. IF you're going to do that though, I wouldn't use a full ROM - you see, only 66% of shoulder abduction is actual abduction at the shoulder joint, and 33% is due to upwards scapular rotation (which is done by traps and shoulder movement has been maxed out by this point). Abducting in a full ROM whilst internally rotated is a recipe for impingement. Ergo, I would recommend you only lift the weight until the hand is at the same height as the head, or just above.

You didn;t understand any of that, did you? Like so

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Shoulder abduction is legitimately the only piece of biomechanics that we were taught about in anatomy lol. I think our professors just found it interesting. How does an internally rotated humerus impinge at full ROM, but a neutral one doesn't?

Time to change your routine, Scooby Baggins. Doctors orders. Are you going to do sports medicine, Harrison?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Wrecking Ball.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  40.9 KB

And he came in like a wrecking ball.

It was only a matter of time before the professor showed up

I rotate inwards and go thumb down, I find it isolates things better. I've always found with laterals that weight plays a role in what actually gets worked. If I go really light and focus on TOT/controlling everything, I feel great delt isolation and it really works them, as I'm in control of my posture and positioning. If I go heavier, I find it just becomes a cluster **** of upper body heave ho and everything gets involved, which obviously is pointless.

No doubt there are 'safer' ways to do it, rotator cuff wise etc, although I'm not too worried as I go so light. When I become the orange and I up my volume/weight, I'll add in some of those leaning bad boys!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Wrecking Ball.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  40.9 KB

And he came in like a wrecking ball.

It was only a matter of time before the professor showed up

I rotate inwards and go thumb down, I find it isolates things better. I've always found with laterals that weight plays a role in what actually gets worked. If I go really light and focus on TOT/controlling everything, I feel great delt isolation and it really works them, as I'm in control of my posture and positioning. If I go heavier, I find it just becomes a cluster **** of upper body heave ho and everything gets involved, which obviously is pointless.

No doubt there are 'safer' ways to do it, rotator cuff wise etc, although I'm not too worried as I go so light. When I become the orange and I up my volume/weight, I'll add in some of those leaning bad boys!
    I wouldn't sweat the weight man, I do these with 4kg or 6kg DBs and I have some of the roundest delts in my gym - I see plenty of guys using way too much weight doing Icarus fly-aways, flapping their wings, and they look ridiculous and get no benefit from it. Thumbs down for me too.

Shoulder abduction is legitimately the only piece of biomechanics that we were taught about in anatomy lol. I think our professors just found it interesting. How does an internally rotated humerus impinge at full ROM, but a neutral one doesn't?

Time to change your routine, Scooby Baggins. Doctors orders. Are you going to do sports medicine, Harrison?
    HYpe, I'm doing sports medicine this year. Internally rotating the humerus closes down the subacromial space, making impingement more likely. If you're doing lots of pressing and have hypertrophied supraspinatuses and tendons, and things might be a little inflamed from pressing, impingement becomes more likely.

ReputationRep:
    My pre workout ritual now consists of watching this before every single workout:

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    HYpe, I'm doing sports medicine this year. Internally rotating the humerus closes down the subacromial space, making impingement more likely. If you're doing lots of pressing and have hypertrophied supraspinatuses and tendons, and things might be a little inflamed from pressing, impingement becomes more likely.
    I know you're intercalating, but I mean when you graduate?

That's awesome. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thursday 2nd January 2014

Lower - Do I even lift? No, seriously..?

By the far worst gym session I have ever had. It failed so hard it's almost amusing

Barbell Squat -
    100kg X 15, 12, 8

Deadlift -
    140kg X 1
    180kg X 1

/Session

You ain't never seen a session like this before
    Cause I ain't never been pumped like this before
    Soon as I walk through the door my back get to pumping
    Knots on the left side and the rights got a lump in

Officially the most painful gym session I have ever had. Dat pump! Pain, pure pain.
    It transcended pure back pump and by the end of the session my lower abdomen hurt, and I had what can only be likened to the 'I just got kicked in the balls' feeling.

Day one of Debolishing my New Year goals, definitely increased the lower back pumps. It's all a learning experience, I suppose.
    Need moar taurine. Need moar water. Need moar electrolytes. Need to invest in a belt for squats.

On the plus side - 100kg X 15 felt great. I've hit 100kg X 15 once before, a month or so ago, which is my current rep PB, although this time felt so much better. Every rep was ATG, deep as ****, explosive and controlled. Once I get the pumps under control, **** is going to get real.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    At least the stuff you actually did was solid before being crippled by the pump. Still beastly squat volume.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.