Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Meat eaters, defend your position Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goape)
    Exactly! Plant murderers got stumped on that one.
    Whether plants feel pain is debatable, but if plants do feel pain, that is not a reason to deny rights to animals. If plants are sentient, that would put humans in the same position as lions since we cannot live without consuming plants, so we would be morally justified in eating plants. Also, if plants feel pain, that does not mean that eating plants and eating animals are morally equivalent because it takes many more plants to feed an omnivore compared to a vegan. Feeding grains, hay and other plant foods to animals so that we can eat the animals is very inefficient, and kills far more plants than being vegan.
    If you believe that plants have feelings, one of the best things you can do for them is to go vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    Many studies have showed that vegetarians are often malnourished

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Source?

Even if this is true (unlikely since a properly followed vegetarian or vegan diet consists of much more nutrients and goodness than that of a meat-eaters), here are a few influential and prominent studies which prove the complete opposite. Plus, it's a well known fact that non meat eaters and vegans in particular have a substantially lower risk of cancer, heart disease and much lower cholesterol.

http:
    //www.nih.gov/researchmatters/june2013/06102013vegetarian.htm

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/525s.full

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnPaul_)
    Taste and more dense for protein.

Posted from TSR Mobile

per 100 calories of Broccoli = 11.2g of protein
    per 100 calories of steak = 5.4g of protein

if the taste of meat is your justification for eating it, the next time you come across a dead antelope, dog, cow etc, it would be preposterous of you to not immediately salivate and start to eat it the animal.
    the only reason the taste is good, is because it's been cut, prepared and cooked in a particular way. real carnivores eat meat as it comes, in its animal, unprepared form.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunarnymph)

if the taste of meat is your justification for eating it, the next time you come across a dead antelope, dog, cow etc, it would be preposterous of you to not immediately salivate and start to eat it the animal.
    the only reason the taste is good, is because it's been cut, prepared and cooked in a particular way. real carnivores eat meat as it comes, in its animal, unprepared form.
    Those stats are completely irrelevant - firstly you should be measuring per ounce, not per calorie, but more importantly it's not about the raw amount of protein, but about how much you can actually get from the food through digestion - and Broccoli is a very inefficient source of protein because of how much ends up as just roughage to pass straight through - not to mention green vegetables don't contain all of the 10 essential amino acids that people need in their diet.

No it wouldn't - dead animals in the wild are not really edible, unless you want all sorts of illnesses. Real carnivores are tolerant to spoiled meat because they've no other choice really, but we've cooked it, refrigerated it and generally sanitarised it for millenia: as such our immune systems are not as able to defend against illnesses that come from eating spoiled meat. The taste is still good, but for most humans it's not safe to eat (some Inuit tribes tend to eat it raw with no ill effects).

ReputationRep:
    I love the taste of meat, unfortunately. I love animals so I'd love to not eat meat, but my love for the taste of meat overpowers how bad I feel for the animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Meat is good for you. It's the easiest way to get protein

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Source?

Even if this is true (unlikely since a properly followed vegetarian or vegan diet consists of much more nutrients and goodness than that of a meat-eaters), here are a few influential and prominent studies which prove the complete opposite. Plus, it's a well known fact that non meat eaters and vegans in particular have a substantially lower risk of cancer, heart disease and much lower cholesterol.

http:
    //www.nih.gov/researchmatters/june2013/06102013vegetarian.htm

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/525s.full
    Did they ever teach you about correlation and causation

We know why vegetarians have lower rates of mortality. They drink less, smoke less, exercise more, eat a lot more fibre, and eat a lot less calories overall and so are less likely to be overweight. None of these things are in any way directly linked to meat products, and all of them can be achieved on a diet that includes a high amount of meat, meat has not definitively been shown to cause any kind of health issues whatsoever. Your studies prove quite literally zero

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Did they ever teach you about correlation and causation

We know why vegetarians have lower rates of mortality. They drink less, smoke less, exercise more, eat a lot more fibre, and eat a lot less calories overall and so are less likely to be overweight. None of these things are in any way directly linked to meat products, and all of them can be achieved on a diet that includes a high amount of meat, meat has not definitively been shown to cause any kind of health issues whatsoever. Your studies prove quite literally zero
    Their reply was a response to someone saying vegetarians are often malnourished though. It wasn't about saying a vegetarian diet is necessarily healthier, just that the claim that vegetarianism is unhealthy is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Their reply was a response to someone saying vegetarians are often malnourished though. It wasn't about saying a vegetarian diet is necessarily healthier, just that the claim that vegetarianism is unhealthy is ridiculous.
    Both claims are equally dumb, the point is that

-If someone is a meat eater and doesn't pay particular attention to their calories etc, its EASIER for them to become overweight due to the high fat content of meat (which is very calorie dense)
    -Equally, if a vegetarian/vegan doesn't pay particular attention to the types of food they eat, its EASIER for them to be deficient in iron/B12/EAAs etc, which doesn't happen with nonveg diets

Nothing is inherently healthier about either a vegetarian or non vegetarian diet, neither the presence nor lack of meat is directly going to guarantee reduced health

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Both claims are equally dumb, the point is that

-If someone is a meat eater and doesn't pay particular attention to their calories etc, its EASIER for them to become overweight due to the high fat content of meat (which is very calorie dense)
    -Equally, if a vegetarian/vegan doesn't pay particular attention to the types of food they eat, its EASIER for them to be deficient in iron/B12/EAAs etc, which doesn't happen with nonveg diets

Nothing is inherently healthier about either a vegetarian or non vegetarian diet, neither the presence nor lack of meat is directly going to guarantee reduced health
    Yeah, I agree. But I didn't think the person who you quoted was making that argument - they were disproving the person who said vegetarians are often malnourished. If they had posted that information without quoting that person you would be right to question them as you did. However, as a response to an incorrect claim it was fine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I could live without pork, lamb and beef. I rarely eat it.

Chicken, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I could also live without pork and turkey but in order

Beef
    Lamb
    Chicken

Need that in my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    a properly followed vegetarian or vegan diet consists of much more nutrients and goodness than that of a meat-eaters
    This makes no sense, since the set of foods a vegetarian can eat is a subset of those a meat-eater can eat. In the very best scenario possible, the best vegetarian/vegan diet can only be as good as the best meat-eaters' diet.

This is a lie. Steak (and as far as I most other meats too) has far more protein per unit energy that broccoli. More importantly, it has more protein PER UNIT MASS than broccoli. As an athlete, I would have to consume almost 7kg of broccoli per day to hit my protein target. Not only is that almost impossible, but it's also over 2000kcal and a huge amount of fibre. Anyway, if you want some real stats:

Steak has 12.1g of protein per 100 calories.
    Broccoli has 10g per 100 calories.
    Chicken breast has 22.3g of protein per 100 calories.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madisonrose)
    Meat is good for you. It's the easiest way to get protein
    Depends on what proteins your body need at a certain time. There are some proteins which can be synthesised without intake of food before. Its wise guy-time!

ReputationRep:
    I like the taste.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.