Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th Watch

Pistol 33
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by AyeshaAK)
Could u say a little about Dubai and its link to coping with pressure?
Is it to do with coastal population growth?

Cheers

Yeah for coastal population growth= brighton and dubai
katelouise1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for a question about players involved in rebranding what would you have to say?
emmaj125
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone got any ideas what the questions/topics that might come up?
AyeshaAK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by katelouise1234)
I figured out that you have a case study e.g Scarborough and talk about local community, stake holders, private investors e.g. Yorkshire Forward, European Regional development fund, Scarborough borough council.

I will be talking about the " vision for scarborough scheme" which is a rebranding scheme. I would then go onto say that Scarborough council has helped in funding this scheme etc.
Hody421
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by katelouise1234)
You need to basically examine your case study and state what 'players' (stakeholders are people who are involved financially/emotionally and have an interest on the project) look at page 255 of the Edexcel book-There are the various 'local', 'regional', 'national' and 'international' actors
BenjKl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To any geniuses out there or pill people; too late for revising, now it is time to play the game. I can however give a couple of tips.
First, don't start ranting and explaining every pointless sentence you wrote. This time you have only 75 mins. Write straight to the point and use punctuation to your advantage instead of words. This way I managed to get whole past paper written in 55 mins. Hopefully I won't repeat the same mistake from Unit 1.
Secondly, if you are bad at essay writing then use subheadings and bullet points, or if u are running really low on time. However, I suggest you write as essay to get the marks.
Finally, place yourself in the eyes of the examiner; are you really gonna read 3 paged answer that repeats itself fifteen times? If you are out of ideas move to next question straight away. And remember to not rely on easy questions or lower grade boundaries, this ain't gonna happen again and edexcel is giving mindf*ck questions that-result-in-retardation on purpose.
In conclusion, save time and write in English, also read this carefully and if you really are a genius then take the advice from this reply, this year examiners are told to be strict on standard of English (teacher is my source).

To non genius people(incl. Me) I structured this like an essay, intro, paragraphs, conclusion. Good Luck, even though there is no such thing.
AyeshaAK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BenjKl)
To any geniuses out there or pill people; too late for revising, now it is time to play the game. I can however give a couple of tips.
First, don't start ranting and explaining every pointless sentence you wrote. This time you have only 75 mins. Write straight to the point and use punctuation to your advantage instead of words. This way I managed to get whole past paper written in 55 mins. Hopefully I won't repeat the same mistake from Unit 1.
Secondly, if you are bad at essay writing then use subheadings and bullet points, or if u are running really low on time. However, I suggest you write as essay to get the marks.
Finally, place yourself in the eyes of the examiner; are you really gonna read 3 paged answer that repeats itself fifteen times? If you are out of ideas move to next question straight away. And remember to not rely on easy questions or lower grade boundaries, this ain't gonna happen again and edexcel is giving mindf*ck questions that-result-in-retardation on purpose.
In conclusion, save time and write in English, also read this carefully and if you really are a genius then take the advice from this reply, this year examiners are told to be strict on standard of English (teacher is my source).

To non genius people(incl. Me) I structured this like an essay, intro, paragraphs, conclusion. Good Luck, even though there is no such thing.
I will just stick with my caffeine pills tonight hahahaha ;p
GeorgeAndLennie
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LOOL caffeine pills. I'm with you on that. Thank god this exam starts late.
GeorgeAndLennie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no way to even revise for this other than reading case studies and understanding how to write the questions. Especially F&R lol. This unit just seems so retarded to me xD
hajs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GeorgeAndLennie)
There's no way to even revise for this other than reading case studies and understanding how to write the questions. Especially F&R lol. This unit just seems so retarded to me xD
hhahah agreeeeeeeeeed
:bebored:.
struderzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing rebranding and coasts for this unit !

coasts -- Last year they asked about results and conclusions and also the year before,
do you think maybe there's a chance it wont be in this years paper?

rebranding -- there hasn't been a results and conclusions Q since jan 11!!!!
What are your guys opinion on this whether it'll come up this year?
AyeshaAK
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by struderzz)
I am doing rebranding and coasts for this unit !

coasts -- Last year they asked about results and conclusions and also the year before,
do you think maybe there's a chance it wont be in this years paper?

rebranding -- there hasn't been a results and conclusions Q since jan 11!!!!
What are your guys opinion on this whether it'll come up this year?
It is strongly unlikely that they will ask this question again .. they never do that.. I hope they dont ask for crowded coasts, but possibility that it may come up for rebranding and thats cool you know.. I think im quite confident with this paper compared to Unit 1..

All Im doing now is just printing off questions from examiners reports and see what they have included for top level marks.

Good luck guys!
Sharnie6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by beccihoney)
I highly doubt management of droughts will come up as that was a question last year, but just in case in brief:
Preparing
-educating the population (e.g US florida)
-weather forecasting
Soft
-precision farming
-drought tolerant plants (e.g CSIRO)
Hard
-desalination plants
-urban dams
Luckily the exam is in the afternoon so we all have time to revise for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeorgeAndLennie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hopefully results and conclusions come up for rebranding. So easy to chat crap for it xD. Really is.
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know how flooding may be caused by human factors or physical factors?!
Our teacher never even said anything about flooding but now I see on the spec you need to know about flooding too ..
#HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeorgeAndLennie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatGirlx)
Does anyone know how flooding may be caused by human factors or physical factors?!
Our teacher never even said anything about flooding but now I see on the spec you need to know about flooding too ..
#HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not to worry:

Poor land management increases the risk of flooding occuring:

1) Urbanisation on flood plains increases the area of impermeable surfaces (e.g. Concrete) which increases surface runoff, leading to higher levels.
2) Agricultural practices - can affect the volume of water and rate of water reaching a river, e.g. Drainage systems allow water to flow more quickly into a river channel. Other farming practices (e.g. removal of vegetation, overgrazing, use of heavy machinery) increase soil erosion, which leads to more soil being deposited in a river. This lifts up the river bed, decreasing capacity of the channel and increasing the risk of flooding.
3) Deforestation reduces interception and evapotranspiration. This increases the volume of water that reaches the river channel, which increases discharge and the risk of flooding.

The list above are human factors.
The list below are physical:

1) Sparse vegetations - in the drainage basin means little rainfall is intercepted so more rain reaches the ground increasing surface runoff and discharge.
2) Steep slopes - If the drainage basin has steep-sided valleys water will reach the river much more quickly because water flows more quickly on steeper slopes. This increases discharge.
3) Impermeable ground - Clay soils and some rocks like shale and granite are impermeable so they don't allow infiltration of surface water. This increases surface runoff which increases discharge.

Hopefully this helped. I'll post a bit more.
GeorgeAndLennie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatGirlx)
#HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a 15 marker comes up on this:

Measuring physical factors:
1) Surface runoff - The amount and speed of surface runoff affects the risk of flooding because the sooner precipitation reaches the river the more chance there is of the level rising above the bankfull discharge.
Surface runoff can be measured directly by digging a ditch of a known ares and using a container to collect runoff. You then need to divide the runoff collected by the rainfall at each location so you can compare locations fairly.

2) Infiltration - A high infiltration rate reduces surface runoff and vice versa (as stated on previous posts) It can be measured by using an 'infiltration ring' That you push into the soil. Then you pour a known volume of water and time how long the water takes to soak away

3) Vegetation cover - The mroe vegetation cover there is. The more interception (Vice versa) - You can map the vegetation cover of an area of land to find how much vegetation there is and to see if there's gonna be more interception etc then base your results on that. (Make it up)

Land use:
Land use can be mapped to record the amount of urbanisation. Agricultural land. Deforestation. This can be then combined with research to investigate the links between precipitation and flooding.

Research:
Ordnance survey maps to find the size and gradient of river drainage basins.
Look at maps on British Geological Survey to see different types of rocks in different areas
Use masp (google maps. Google.co.uk) To see links between vegetation and flooding.

Research for land use: Historical maps, land use surveys, old photographs, historical diares. These sources show how land use has changed over time etc.
Flood risk maps on the environment agency website. The maps shows areas which are at risk from flooding and which areas benefit from flood defences/barriers.

Hope this summed up everything. I know it's a bit straightforward and a bit rushed but this is pretty much what you need to know. You'll be fine x

If you're unfamiliar with some keywords. Here they are:

Discharge - The amount of water that flows in a river per second
Evapotranspiration - The combination of evaporation and transpiration
Infiltration - Water soaking into the soil
Interception - When precipitation lands onto vegetation or other structures before it reaches the soil
Lag time - Delay between peak rainfall and peak discharge
Surface runoff - Water flowing over the ground
krishthakrar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
on figure questions are you allowed to use case studies as well as the actual figure?
GeorgeAndLennie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by krishthakrar)
on figure questions are you allowed to use case studies as well as the actual figure?
It's best not to unless you're making a small implication or bringing it up a little. I read somewhere on the examiners report that students wasted a lot of time talking about case studies when they should've interpreted the figure.
I guess the case studies should be left for part B and C for both Coastal/rebranding etc.
But not for part A. Focus on the actual figure before making any reference to your own studies.
norbad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fieldwork and research for assessing effectiveness of coastal management?

Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (185)
80.43%
Leave (45)
19.57%

Watched Threads