Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yeah, sucks because Google, Amazon etc all pay 30% less here than they do in the US. Something to do with the cost of labour/competition for talent being lower. Apparently the Zurich office for Google is the highest for pay.

+ obvs these companies pay stock grants that vest over 3-4 years too.

My friend's Google offer (he goes to Stanford) was ~$105k + 15% bonus + 250 Google stock units (or ~$150k at the time, vesting over 4 years so: $37.5k/year). All-in about ~$158k first year which is pretty close to what banks are paying for first year top performers in NY

EDIT: There was a sign on bonus of $20k too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd noticed that too, I thought the gap was bigger though. I don't know if it's possible to apply for a position in America from England and if there would be any relocation budget; I'm aware the American system requires offering a job to an American before anyone else, but I doubt that's a problem with high demand jobs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    :zomg:
    Yeah, it's mental haha. The top tech firms/startups will all pay similarly (+ or - like $30k) in Silicon Valley. Competition is tough though, he had 2 45 minute programming phone interviews.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I'd noticed that too, I thought the gap was bigger though. I don't know if it's possible to apply for a position in America from England and if there would be any relocation budget; I'm aware the American system requires offering a job to an American before anyone else, but I doubt that's a problem with high demand jobs.
    They're pretty agnostic to which country you apply from is what I've heard. If you're good, they'll sponsor you and in fact 40-50% of their new software engineers are foreign.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's mental haha. The top tech firms/startups will all pay similarly (+ or - like $30k) in Silicon Valley. Competition is tough though, he had 2 45 minute programming phone interviews.
    I would assume you'd have to be the best of the best to land something like that..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    I would assume you'd have to be the best of the best to land something like that..
    Nah, you just have to be good enough to a) pass the CV screen and b) perform well in the interviews. Oh yeah, Google have a 1st year (2nd of a 4 year course) internship programme if you're interested for when you start uni. I'll probs be applying for it too.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you just have to be good enough to a) pass the CV screen and b) perform well in the interviews. Oh yeah, Google have a 1st year (2nd of a 4 year course) internship programme if you're interested for when you start uni. I'll probs be applying for it too.
    I'll probs look into it too! Thanks for the tip :P

ReputationRep:
    What you fail to grasp in all this is that the cost of living in the Bay Area, Zurich etc are so mental that you can spend an entire $120k salary on very basic living expenses and any corporate job pays like this. Even a five year veteran cop in San Francisco is on $90k. How does nearly $50k in rent a year sound? (What someone was paying in rent at a place in Zurich I had an interview for.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    What you fail to grasp in all this is that the cost of living in the Bay Area, Zurich etc are so mental that you can spend an entire $120k salary on very basic living expenses and any corporate job pays like this. Even a five year veteran cop in San Francisco is on $90k. How does nearly $50k in rent a year sound? (What someone was paying in rent at a place in Zurich I had an interview for.)
    You have a fair point actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have a fair point actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Zurich taxes at around 50%. I'd need to be offered a lot of money before I can go there!

Edit - I'm thinking of Sweden lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Zurich taxes at around 50%. I'd need to be offered a lot of money before I can go there!

Edit - I'm thinking of Sweden lol
    Zurich taxes are way less than that dude.. Swiss taxes work really weirdly as there is a 'federal' tax and then a specific 'canton' tax.. Anyway, plugging in 110k CHF into this gives a tax rate of ~22%. The real drain comes in accommodation prices - scary stuff there.

LOL are you mad? Sweden is legit 50-60% tax and salaries are awful there..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sucks because Google, Amazon etc all pay 30% less here than they do in the US. Something to do with the cost of labour/competition for talent being lower. Apparently the Zurich office for Google is the highest for pay.

+ obvs these companies pay stock grants that vest over 3-4 years too.

My friend's Google offer (he goes to Stanford) was ~$105k + 15% bonus + 250 Google stock units (or ~$150k at the time, vesting over 4 years so: $37.5k/year). All-in about ~$158k first year which is pretty close to what banks are paying for first year top performers in NY

EDIT: There was a sign on bonus of $20k too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world. I am a bit surprised that London does not get similar treatment on the same basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world. I am a bit surprised that London does not get similar treatment on the same basis.
    It does, but not with tech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    It does, but not with tech
    Cyber security is growing hugely in the UK, so don't be surprised to see it become a highly attractive industry. The way malware is going with being entirely signatureless (ie it will pass through your entire legacy security stack without being noticed) means that there will be a huge demand in innovate cyber security solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Cyber security is growing hugely in the UK, so don't be surprised to see it become a highly attractive industry. The way malware is going with being entirely signatureless (ie it will pass through your entire legacy security stack without being noticed) means that there will be a huge demand in innovate cyber security solutions.
    One thing that I agree with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student who's set up their own business, and looking for mobile app developers.

If you know anyone that would be interested get in contact.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.