Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who are the top 8 squads in europe. List the order. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    I said that when you had no RB

But Shaw > Gibbs, Debuchy = Rafael
    Maybe if Shaw lays off the pukka pies we can talk.

Debuchy is better than Rafael.

We've got a soupier Goalkeeper, defence, and midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Maybe if Shaw lays off the pukka pies we can talk.

Debuchy is better than Rafael.

We've got a soupier Goalkeeper, defence, and midfield.
    Didn't prevent him getting in the team of the year and the world cup squad did it

Goalkeeper now I know you're trolling

ReputationRep:
    Didn't prevent him getting in the team of the year and the world cup squad did it

Goalkeeper now I know you're trolling
    Henderson got in ahead of Carrick. Henderson > Carrick then?

Valencia got in the team of the year a couple of years ago.

Szc has been more consistent. De Gea has looked poor so far.

ReputationRep:
    Henderson got in ahead of Carrick. Henderson > Carrick then?

Valencia got in the team of the year a couple of years ago.

Szc has been more consistent. De Gea has looked poor so far.
    Yes...

And Valencia was brilliant a couple of years ago

Lol, he's had 3 CBs getting used to a new formation in front of him, and Fletcher. He was the best in the league last year

ReputationRep:
    Yes...

Lol, he's had 3 CBs getting used to a new formation in front of him, and Fletcher. He was the best in the league last year
    Have they got a different groundsman as well at Utd? Using different type of paint on the pitch?

ReputationRep:
    Have they got a different groundsman as well at Utd? Using different type of paint on the pitch?
    Strong reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Their squad is worse this season than last in my opinion. Mandzukic is a good player but not as good as Costa (I'm a Bayern fan I know about Mandzu), Griezemann is a very good signing too.
    It's really not if you compare area for area.

GKs:
    2013: Courtois, Aranzubía
    2014: Moya, Oblak

- Hard, probably impossible, to replace Courtois, but they've gotten a gem in Oblak and now have 2 quality keepers to choose from as opposed to only Courtois. On top of that, a fully developed Oblak could in fact offer them more tactical variety at the back as he can play the sweeper role better than Courtois (or better than Courtois has shown so far).

Defenders
    2013: Miranda, Giménez, Godín, Juanfran, Filipe Luis, Insúa, Manquillo, Alderweireld
    2014: Miranda, Giménez, Godín, Juanfran, Siqueira, Ansaldi, Gaméz

- I'd rate Filipe Luis over both Siqeira and Ansaldi, but they're a huge upgrade on Insúa. Similarly, Gaméz is much better as RB than Alderweireld and, even though I'm a huge Manquillo fan, offers more experience than Manquillo while, on current form/quality, not being inferior to him. In short, Atléti have gone from having 2 good FBs and no mentionable backups to having 2 good options on either side, enabling them to rotate a lot more. The additional CB options they had in Alderweireld is not a big loss imo.

Midfield
    2013: Tiago, Gabi, Raúl García, Koke, Rodríguez, Suárez, Arda, Guilavogui, Diego, Sosa
    2014: Tiago, Gabi, Raúl García, Koke, Rodríguez, Suárez, Arda, Saúl, Cerci

- In short, they've upgraded their rotation options, so while the pool of midfielders might be smaller now, it has better depth.

Attack
    2013: Costa, Villa, Adrían
    2014: Griezmann, Jiménez, Mandzukic, Correa

- While Costa is superior to anyone they have now, hard to argue that they haven't infinitely improved their attacking options. They've got an absolutely competent and proven targetman to play Costa's role, a good back up, and two extremely promising options to play as second striker, one of which is already proven in the league and both of which are, based on last season's form, on par with Villa. If Griezmann and Correa keep on developing, Atlético should even be able to play without a true #9 like Mandzukic altogether, giving them more variety up front.

With the respect to the bolded part, I believe that was the argument being used against me, not that I used (or at least started).
    It was your argument. It's not a big deal though, I just found it strange how you called out jam on his logic while your argument wasn't much better.

Really think Atletico's squad is better than those?
    No, I didn't argue that either. It was the notion that Atléti's squad is worse than last season because of losing this or that player that I didn't agree with. Personally, I think Bayern having the strongest squad in Europe isn't even debatable. As for Real, they beat a lot of squads in terms of individual players, but are far too imbalanced for my liking to put them top or rank them far above other top squads with less galáctico glam. And even then, having players that are better than any of the players of another squad doesn't mean that some of the players in that other squad aren't better than their respective counterpartas.

Would I rank Atlético over Real? No, and I have my doubts even putting them on one level, but I see several arguments why you could do the latter. Atlético make up for a lot with the balance, depth and tactical variety in their squad, even without factoring in the effect Simeone has on individual players. They are criminally underrated on here, but then I don't think a lot of people follow them on an in-depth level anyway.

(Original post by Malevolent)
    Even Lukas piszcek has been pretty bad since his injury
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Agreed. Piszcek was getting there before he got injured but right now hes really far from the level he was at.
    That's only true if you stopped watching Dortmund last winter, as his performances were steadily improving again towards the end of the season.

(Original post by automathematic)

Looking at the midfield of Real and Bayern and comparing the two with players that often don't make the starting XI:

Asier I. , Isco, Khedira > Thiago A, J. Martinez, Hojbjerg

Atm, Javi is a better DM than both Khedira and Illarra. Isco was the superior talent to Thiago and the better player in 2012/13, but how you can rate him above Thiago after last season is a mystery. And Hjøjberg is a youngster and can't be compared with anyone in Real's current squad. Ofc he's on a lower level than some of Real's players, but he offers depth on several positions; Real don't have someone like him.

(Original post by automathematic)
    Plus in that game, they chose Pepe ahead of Varane; Marcelo played instead of Fabio C. And also I prefer Arbeloa over Carvajal.

Pepe/Ramos is their first-choice CB pairing, so how is the first bit an argument? And that anybody would prefer current Arbeloa over Carvajal is just baffling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrassHi)
    Why Juve so high?

I feel like their ****e Champions League performance in contrast to their total domination at home shows how far the Italian league has fallen, I don't reckon they're in the top 10.

Pogba and Vidal are sick (and Pirlo is a legend) but other than that...

They have some decent CBs i guess (although I think Chiellini is overrated) and Tevez and Llorente are decent but a bit passed their prime.
    By that logic, Man City (who everyone seems to have 4-6 of the top squads) shouldn't be rated in the top 10, also. With that squad, they should be getting further in the champions league.

Yes Serie A has lost its shine, but Juventus dominated, and have for the past three years...and it's a feat which deserves respect and recognition. Buffon is still a pretty good goalkeeper (on a downhill slope though). You mention Chiellini, but Barzagli is better. They have found success with wingbacks, and in Stephan Lichsteiner they have one of the best. Juve, on paper at least, are strong in all phases of the game. They have a top-notch midfield, in Asamoah, Vidal, Pirlo, Pogba and Leicsteiner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    By that logic, Man City (who everyone seems to have 4-6 of the top squads) shouldn't be rated in the top 10, also. With that squad, they should be getting further in the champions league.

Yes Serie A has lost its shine, but Juventus dominated, and have for the past three years...and it's a feat which deserves respect and recognition. Buffon is still a pretty good goalkeeper (on a downhill slope though). You mention Chiellini, but Barzagli is better. They have found success with wingbacks, and in Stephan Lichsteiner they have one of the best. Juve, on paper at least, are strong in all phases of the game. They have a top-notch midfield, in Asamoah, Vidal, Pirlo, Pogba and Leicsteiner.
    There's not exactly much competition there

ReputationRep:
    1. Real Madrid
    2. Barcelona
    3. Bayern Münich
    4. Manchester United
    5. Liverpool
    6. SCG
    I don't like any other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Ivanovic lol hell no. Good start to the season but his crossing is still mediocre, he can't dribble his way out when he gets to the byline and is marked. He does this every season anyway and scores loads of goals then becomes solid defensively and **** attacking wise where he takes loads of shots outside the box as he doesn't have the capability to do anything else.

Zabaleta is a decent shout, consistent but tbh his attacking quality isn't amazing when you compare to Kolarov on the left hand side.
    Trust me, Zabaleta is so much better than Kolarov. They're not even on the same level. Kolarov does have a mean left peg but defensively he's found severely wanting.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, Zabaleta is so much better than Kolarov. They're not even on the same level. Kolarov does have a mean left peg but defensively he's found severely wanting.
    I did not say that Kolarov is a good defender. said hes the best attacking full back at City. Which you probably agree with

ReputationRep:
    There's not exactly much competition there
    Yeah there is. You have Antonio Valencia, the worlds best right back that Louis Van GOAT and Ed Goodward will transform into the best player in history and turn him into the new ronaldo

Yes...

O Rly

Get your blinkers off mate.

ReputationRep:
    Defensively I think Zaba is better in a lot of aspects, but Kolarov is stronger in the air, stronger in general and he appears to have more stamina (based on some running stats I saw last season). I must note, I am biased towards Kolarov as he's one of my favourite players.

ReputationRep:
    Been waiting to have my say on this.

Honestly, it depends on a lot of things. The best teams/ squads have the best attack, and I'd say the best attack is between Barcelona and Real Madrid. Messi and Ronaldo are the best players at the minute, while you have others like Bale, Iniesta and Suarez who aren't too far from that.

If we're going by first team, I'd say Madrid, because they are more athletic. Barcelona's replacements are decidedly average.

I'd say next is Bayern Munich and City. City have much more depth striker wise than Bayern Munich, and I'd say that when fit, I'd rather have Aguero than Lewandowski due to his energy. I don't know where to put Muller in this

Bayern have better wingers clearly, but City's emphasis is not on wing play, as only Navas is a proper winger, and he doesn't compare to robben or ribery, and even Shaqiri who is up-and coming.

Central/Attacking midfield. City have Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Fernando, Nasri
    Bayern have Gotze, Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Martinez, Lahm

Defensively, I'd say Bayern because they have the best goalkeeper in the world and Lahm is the best righht back.

City's strength is their strikers and attacking midfielders.
    Bayern's are their wingers and more central midfield options, and they pip the defence debate.

Unfortunately, I don't think Pep Guardiola has the players to play his system. Bayern have good ball-carriers, but in terms of ball control, short passing accuracy and dribbling, their players aren't quite close to the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets when it comes to the attriubtes needed in Pep's system. I think their new system makes them weaker.

In terms of squad I'd go for

1. Real Madrid
    2. Bayern Munich
    3. Manchester City/Barcelona
    5. Chelsea
    6. Atletico
    7. Dortmund
    8. Juventus

In terms of on their day (with their best 11), I'd say

1. Barcelona
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Bayern Munich
    4. Man City
    5. Chelsea
    6. Dortmund
    7. Atletico
    8. Juventus

I'd love to analyse 5-8, but I cba

I'll just say this in short- Messi and Ronaldo are a world apart from anything else. Because of the difference they make to their teams (with the addition of Iniesta, Suarez and Bale), I'd have to say Barca and Real Madrid have the best 11 on their day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmín)
    1. Real Madrid
    2. Barcelona
    3. Bayern Münich
    4. Manchester United
    5. Liverpool
    6. SCG
    I don't like any other
    This order is so messed up :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Been waiting to have my say on this.

Honestly, it depends on a lot of things. The best teams/ squads have the best attack, and I'd say the best attack is between Barcelona and Real Madrid. Messi and Ronaldo are the best players at the minute, while you have others like Bale, Iniesta and Suarez who aren't too far from that.

If we're going by first team, I'd say Madrid, because they are more athletic. Barcelona's replacements are decidedly average.

I'd say next is Bayern Munich and City. City have much more depth striker wise than Bayern Munich, and I'd say that when fit, I'd rather have Aguero than Lewandowski due to his energy. I don't know where to put Muller in this

Bayern have better wingers clearly, but City's emphasis is not on wing play, as only Navas is a proper winger, and he doesn't compare to robben or ribery, and even Shaqiri who is up-and coming.

Central/Attacking midfield. City have Toure, Silva, Fernandinho, Fernando, Nasri
    Bayern have Gotze, Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Martinez, Lahm

Defensively, I'd say Bayern because they have the best goalkeeper in the world and Lahm is the best righht back.

City's strength is their strikers and attacking midfielders.
    Bayern's are their wingers and more central midfield options, and they pip the defence debate.

Unfortunately, I don't think Pep Guardiola has the players to play his system. Bayern have good ball-carriers, but in terms of ball control, short passing accuracy and dribbling, their players aren't quite close to the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets when it comes to the attriubtes needed in Pep's system. I think their new system makes them weaker.

In terms of squad I'd go for

1. Real Madrid
    2. Bayern Munich
    3. Manchester City/Barcelona
    5. Chelsea
    6. Atletico
    7. Dortmund
    8. Juventus

In terms of on their day (with their best 11), I'd say

1. Barcelona
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Bayern Munich
    4. Man City
    5. Chelsea
    6. Dortmund
    7. Atletico
    8. Juventus

I'd love to analyse 5-8, but I cba

I'll just say this in short- Messi and Ronaldo are a world apart from anything else. Because of the difference they make to their teams (with the addition of Iniesta, Suarez and Bale), I'd have to say Barca and Real Madrid have the best 11 on their day
    You mention best attack and don't even bring up Man United's name, come off if.

Falcao, RvP, Rooney, Di Maria easily top 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    I did not say that Kolarov is a good defender. said hes the best attacking full back at City. Which you probably agree with
    Ah fair enough that is true. I reckon Man City might have two of the best three right backs in the league in Sagna and Zabaleta (Ivanovic being the other)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_Set)
    Defensively I think Zaba is better in a lot of aspects, but Kolarov is stronger in the air, stronger in general and he appears to have more stamina (based on some running stats I saw last season). I must note, I am biased towards Kolarov as he's one of my favourite players.
    I seriously think that Zaba is the best RB in the world (if we're not counting Lahm as he's been moved to midfield). No doubt Kolarov is the better attacker (though with 6 league assists Zaba is no slouch either), Zabaleta makes him look a poor defender. The fact that he and Clichy almost share the position (or at least they have for the past couple of years) while Micah Richards hasn't had a sniff of Zaba's show how they are rated by their managers.

But he does have a tasty left foot.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Full back Utd?

Top banter m8. Gibbs and Debuchy would walk into Utd's team over Valencia and Rafail, and fatty Shaw.
    Gibbs would probably get injured on the walk there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.