Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    If I had a million pounds to fund some sort of research I would never pick imperial
    Its just 2nd in alot of things
    That includes chemical engineering does it, where Imperial has consistently been in the top three in the world for some time:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    Honestly? None.

Everyone has their reasons for going to their choice of uni, I don't see why people should comment on the uni if you've never attended. If the universities 'frowned upon' were that bad, surely something would be done about them?
    ^The most sensible response in the thread. These sorts of threads are the reason I avoid TSR from time to time.

Stereotypes, good or bad, should not be cast on an individual. Give them a chance to show their abilities and prove their worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1drowssap)
    ^The most sensible response in the thread. These sorts of threads are the reason I avoid TSR from time to time.

Stereotypes, good or bad, should not be cast on an individual. Give them a chance to show their abilities and prove their worth.
    Exactly,,, I don't agree with these threads and I tend to avoid them too but I thought I'd put my opinion across which is what this thread is about...
    opinions

I feel the exact same about the degree threads which are normally about if you don't study a STEM or Medical subject then it's not worth doing it. I'm doing English and History which is classed as humanities but whenever I get asked what I'm doing, I get the response 'oh nothing then.' which frustrates me.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with my degree at the moment but I've got 3 years to decide and get the relevant experience but right now, I'm doing English and History because I adore the subjects and feel that both Literature and History contribute to today's society but that's my opinion.

Sorry for the essay of a comment

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood why it bothers people so much. Just because someone studies at a Russell group uni, it doesn't make them a better.

ReputationRep:
    UEL

ReputationRep:
    Bolton and Salford.

ReputationRep:
    None! University is a place full of opportunities, regardless of prestige; rank; and status.

I go to a university that many will consider 'standard', but at the end of the day - by attending this 'standard' university, I have been doing so well in terms of study and have learned a lot of life skills.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what university goes to - it's the degree and determination that counts!

ReputationRep:
    None to be honest. One of the 'lowest down' [if you like] unis by me is Wolvo Uni. I can go there and do BEd (Hons) Primary Education course and, in 3 years time, have the same chance of getting a job in a Primary School as if I did the same course at Cambridge or Oxford Uni. The only difference? You only need CCCc to get into Wolvo and you need A*A*A Cambridge and Oxford. Also, I can take 2 buses to Wolvo Uni, otherwise I'd have to live at the others which would be costly and inconvenient.

tl;dr none

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    None to be honest. One of the 'lowest down' [if you like] unis by me is Wolvo Uni. I can go there and do BEd (Hons) Primary Education course and, in 3 years time, have the same chance of getting a job in a Primary School as if I did the same course at Cambridge or Oxford Uni. The only difference? You only need CCCc to get into Wolvo and you need A*A*A Cambridge and Oxford. Also, I can take 2 buses to Wolvo Uni, otherwise I'd have to live at the others which would be costly and inconvenient.

tl;dr none
    You wouldn't have the same chance :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    You wouldn't have the same chance :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would. At the end of the course, regardless of where I do it, I get QTS. On application to primary schools they ask for QTS and some experience, also grade C in GCSE maths and English. They can't discriminate by which uni you went to under the equal opportunities act, people from dif unis are interviewed and ur judged on things that matter ie employability skills

ReputationRep:
    I recently visited and stayed at Solent university in Southampton...
    It is one of the worst universities I visited. However Solent is knows for producing good engineers and graphic designers, but academically speaking it is really bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    I would. At the end of the course, regardless of where I do it, I get QTS. On application to primary schools they ask for QTS and some experience, also grade C in GCSE maths and English. They can't discriminate by which uni you went to under the equal opportunities act, people from dif unis are interviewed and ur judged on things that matter ie employability skills
    Yeah because you would know that they didn't choose a Cambridge graduate over you right? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    London Met, Leeds Met, Manchester Met and Huddersfield

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izxxx)
    I recently visited and stayed at Solent university in Southampton...
    It is one of the worst universities I visited. However Solent is knows for producing good engineers and graphic designers, but academically speaking it is really bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never heard of this before. source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Yeah because you would know that they didn't choose a Cambridge graduate over you right? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    whether one school employs a cambridge graduate or a wolvo graduate, 90% of wolvo graduates still have a job in a primary school after 3 years of graduation (from the website) so i'm guessing it doesn't matter (=

ReputationRep:
    When I read threads like this, it reminds me of those "my dad is better than your dad" arguments you used to have as a kid.

Seriously, why do people on this forum get so irate over how their university compares to others?

ReputationRep:
    chester

edit: you'll be getting sparked out if you say liverpool

edit2: yo teen1234, this dude got a mf doom avatar

ReputationRep:
    Only insecure kids who most likely suffered from being bullied throughout school and so are on TSR being e-warriors

Degree from anywhere is perhaps better than someone without one, depending on how you go about with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    Only insecure kids who most likely suffered from being bullied throughout school and so are on TSR being e-warriors

Degree from anywhere is perhaps better than someone without one, depending on how you go about with it
    That's a first, e-warriors :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh)
    chester

edit: you'll be getting sparked out if you say liverpool

edit2: yo teen1234, this dude got a mf doom avatar
    First person on TSR to notice it. The greatest to ever do it.

GOT MORE SOUL THAN A SOCK WITH A HOLE

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.