ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Shall I mention this ridiculous notion to my adoptive parents
    Use yo maths skills to destroy him!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Not all posts surely?

I guess that's the idea of a discussion/debate - there's always another point to consider or another topic/piece of evidence etc.
    Which is why context is so important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    a mother is worth more than a million fathers
    Except for when she's not bringing up the child

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Shall I mention this ridiculous notion to my adoptive parents
    Do as you please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    Well, if I will ask for a definition, olols.

I can assure you I'm not lying. I don't see how that's any more 'abnormal' than if we were to remove the other man from the picture and assume the child belonged to a heterosexual couple. What isn't 'normal' about a father holding their newborn baby? 'Cause that's all I see in the picture.
    What you see in the picture is objectively not a normal situation though. Normality is not determined by looking at what you're comfortable with.

Normality describes what is common. Same sex parenting is not as common as opposite sex parenting therefore it is objectively more abnormal.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously I don't want to live in this world any more.....

How can we allow these kind of things omg,I feel like an alien....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicCx)
    No matter what sexuality, you should be able to have a child.
    You're not God to decide that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    You're not God to decide that.
    God just spoke to me in a vision and said that he has no authority, but if he did he'd agree with the post in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    What you see in the picture is objectively not a normal situation though. Normality is not determined by looking at what you're comfortable with.

Normality describes what is common. Same sex parenting is not as common as opposite sex parenting therefore it is objectively more abnormal.
    And society should stick to what's normal and not challenge prescriptions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Where on earth did I make a moral judgement, and say that normal = bad? The reason I argued as strongly as I did here about this not being normal is because our language has become muddled. We conflate abnormal with bad, and therein lies the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Where on earth did I make a moral judgement, and say that normal = bad? The reason I argued as strongly as I did here about this not being normal is because our language has become muddled. We conflate abnormal with bad, and therein lies the issue.
    Apologies, I've mixed you up with, I think it was Limpopo, who was claiming that because it's abnormal and unnatural that makes it immoral. My bad

ReputationRep:
    If things like this are being accepted in today's society and being considered 'normal' then in a century, you'll be seeing something like a brother and sister getting married.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I don't suppose you realise that it wasn't normal for people to have laptops 100 years ago, and so your argument is that because of that it's bad for people to have laptops.

Also, have you ever studied 1930's -1950's Germany?

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose you realise that it wasn't normal for people to have laptops 100 years ago, and so your argument is that because of that it's bad for people to have laptops.

Also, have you ever studied 1930's -1950's Germany?
    What have laptops got to do with the survival of nature? The development of technology is nothing compared to what we're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    A childs need should be considered first and foremost. Forcing children to be raised without either a mother and fathers love, when it is not necessary is child abuse imo.
    Absolute nonsense. You have no scientific basis for that claim, it is merely neanderthal logic

Studies show children are actually better off in families where the parents are a gay couple

ReputationRep:
    What have laptops got to do with the survival of nature? The development of technology is nothing compared to what we're talking about.
    You said that society should stick with what's normal. Laptops didn't used to be normal, therefore we shouldn't have laptops.

And the survival of nature? What an empty concept.

You'll have to actually use terms that mean something instead of relying on language to hide your homophobia in nothingness.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who thinks having children is a privelege and not a right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Is it just me who thinks having children is a privelege and not a right?
    Oh absolutely. You cannot approach this issue from a 'rights' perspective it is far more important that we consider the needs of the child above anything else.. That said gay parenting is generally exceptional for two reasons: Firstly any gay couple wishing to start a family must do so very deliberately, and secondly in most circumstances there is a vetting process for them as parents simply because of the avenues they must go down (adoption etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    x
    The studies probably do show that because of the nature of same sex parenting being a) very deliberate (there are no accidental children), and b) same sex parents generally have to go through some form of approval process first (i.e. adoption). So you're general weeding out people who'd be bad parents, the same doesn't happen with straight parenting.

So ... not really a fair study in terms of like for like comparison, but it's an irrelevance because the facts are that gay parents do generally do amazing jobs as parents for the reasons above. I mean ... it's better that a gay couple bring up a child than for it to go through the 'care' system.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.