Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well actually, the graph says Belgium is higher than the UK. The UK only got 81%, whereas Belgium got 82%, and besides, there will always be homophobic attitudes wherever you go, so this thread is (I apologize for saying this) a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sethy75)
    Educating young people it's ok to be yourself isn't really grooming is it
    Indeed not, although I think the state should tread very carefully here

it's been going on since the start of humanity
    So have a number of other things, including incest, paedophilia, prostitution, etc. Think it mistaken to arbitrarily assert (assume) that historic phenomena are necessarily good/bad, healthy/unhealthy, etc. We must be more searching, and intellectually honest, than that

ReputationRep:
    Even an intolerant country like Pakistan has a huge gay scene, and I'm sure they don't have" grooming" in schools!
    Not sure what point you're making? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DauntlessOne)
    Telling primary school kids about homosexuals isn't educating them its confusing them sexually
    Tend to agree, unless it's desexualised and introduced at an age at which kids are becoming cognisant of adult relationships (as opposed to mummies and daddies who are just together)

kids between the ages of 5-14 shouldn't be taught about homosexuals
    Agreed, albeit that I would consider the age of 12 (pre-pubescent, 'age of reason', start of secondary education) a reasonable threshold

why can't you just let them be kids?
    We do need to desexualise society, and youth culture/media in particular, as this isn't helping. Also, not all that convinced that adoptive parents that have very casual/promiscuous attitudes to sex e.g. gay celebrity threesomes, is really the way forward for impressionable young minds :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Tend to agree, unless it's desexualised and introduced at an age at which kids are becoming cognisant of adult relationships (as opposed to mummies and daddies who are just together)

Agreed, albeit that I would consider the age of 12 (pre-pubescent, 'age of reason', start of secondary education) a reasonable threshold

We do need to desexualise society, and youth culture/media in particular, as this isn't helping. Also, not all that convinced that adoptive parents that have very casual/promiscuous attitudes to sex e.g. gay celebrity threesomes, is really the way forward for impressionable young minds :rolleyes:
    The trouble is liberal extremists/political correctness gone mad thinking individuals, taking it too far. In regards to their twisted ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Why do you need to have straight PDAs anyway?
    Physical affection is love affirming

Everyone hates them
    Naw, mostly just asexuals who get sand in their vagina about it (unless it's OTT/inappropriate)

ReputationRep:
    Evidence shows (and I can provide studies and authorities on the matter if you so desire) that conversion therapy does not work. You can't intentionally change your sexuality
    I'd be interested to see these studies. It's been established that women are virtually never 100% straight or gay, hence psychosocial affectation has the capacity to enhance/repress 'heteroflexible' manifestations, particularly in females, being relatively socially/emotionally affected creatures. Male sexuality is of course far more binary, but many young males go through experimental phases and to bring these forward/enhance risk taking behaviour in this context can damage psychological and sexual health

ReputationRep:
    Over 1500 different species, in fact
    Many of those species also do things like lick their own arses and kill/eat each other :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Is there a similar map of the other countries in the world? Are there any enlightened African countries I wonder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    LOL what percentage are Norway, the Netherlands and Spain?
    66%, 65%, and 70%

ReputationRep:
    Why are the microstates (apart from Malta) not as high as similar western countries? Namely Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino and Monaco. Italy and Switzerland are shockingly low too, and I'd expect Ireland to be a little higher.

Not surprised about Azerbaijan being lowest, surprised it isn't at 0% tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConsiderScience)
    Ummm
    Is that really relevant?
    Also source?
    Just ignore him. Comments like his aren't really worth responding to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    I'm guessing that is a great thing!
    For the most part, aye

ReputationRep:
    its wrong to mess with young kids minds
    1) Some would argue that including homosexual love in sex/relationship education is not messing with their minds but preparing them for the real world

2) Some kids are already beginning to wonder about such things for themselves and to leave them with no/inadequate education/guidance must be considered potentially harmful

3) There is also an argument for education in order to bring about greater acceptance/less discrimination among young children themselves e.g. in relation to peers who come out

ReputationRep:
    But it's already been established that you can't change someone's sexuality
    No it has not

So how exactly will telling children that homosexuality exists make them gay?
    What we can say with certainty is that, at the very least, the environment in which a child is raised can influence their (attitude towards) sexual experimentation

ReputationRep:
    I think any sex education is to much for young children and unwanted
    Disagree, albeit that one doesn't have to go into too much detail re: the act itself

in secondary education when more is been taught around sex and relationships, this could be the time to explain properly how heterosexuality is not mandatory
    Schools are not permitted to directly promote a particular sexuality either way, but I suppose the emphasis of primary level education will fall on the reproductive nuts and bolts

ReputationRep:
    there is no other species on earth that practice homosexuality
    Eh? :lolwut:

governments change and before too long this great nation will get back on track again! God save the queen! God save Great Britain!
    Steady on mate, this isn't Russia! :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Eh? :lolwut:

Steady on mate, this isn't Russia! :mmm:
    Sadly bigotry and far right wing attitudes are growing in Britain since Brexit. There has been a noticeable rise in not only racist attacks but homophobic attacks too

Brexit was in general a victory to the far right a chance for them to undo everything achieved by the EU and liberalism. They see Brexit victory as a right to rebel against the liberal establishment to attack minorities, to condemn homosexuality. Since June 23rd we have gone back in time about 50 years to a more ignorant society. It's really disgusting.

If we ever do leave the EU, god forbid, equality, liberty and liberal values will be lost. We will become a sad nation where bigotry and intolerance rules, where society is a feudal hierarchy and everybody must fit in and be like everybody else. The rich and powerful at the top. The minorities at the bottom of the pyramid.

That's how lone Island England will look when Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted independence and deserted England to rejoin the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that you're so misinformed. In fact, over 1500 animal species display homosexuality.
    That's a lot of species, but accounts for 0.1% of all species. Ergo, it's still perfectly reasonable to argue that it's 'abnormal'/'unnatural' etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belgianstudent98)
    Parce que où je pensais pas autant, je sais qu'il y en a mais ils se montrent pas tellement
    I see, well, now you know :nyan:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.