Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    Thanks for the information! So then, if you go to MSU does that really increase your job prospects? Do some elite firms prefer MSU students over other university students?
    Yes, it increases your job prospects a lot. At least in Russia, firms would give a closer consideration to those who have MSU in their CV that other graduates. And even internationally, MSU is one of the few, sometimes the only one Russian university which is recognized as reputable. At least that is what I can say from my experience.
    However, job experience you have and a particular set of skills company is looking for are more valuable. In Russia, they would still chose somebody with a solid experience in the field over a fresh MSU graduate.

ReputationRep:

Nottingham University looks amazing.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    People often rate Oxbridge as having the prettiest buildings, followed by Durham perhaps. I thought Nottingham fared well on this front. But Edinburgh looks amazing, and on a big scale. I can't believe it doesn't get spoken about more, it easily matches Oxbridge for beauty.
    The old part of Aberdeen Uni is nice. Some buildings at Newcastle are also nice as well. Durham had some lovely buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Academics are playing the same game as this.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...015315.article

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...015468.article

ReputationRep:
    East Anglia? Hmm, perhaps they were on acid when deciding.

I strongly disagree with their selection haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    East Anglia? Hmm, perhaps they were on acid when deciding.

I strongly disagree with their selection haha.
    I think most people realise that buildings go through a cycle of unpopularity when the architectural style in which they were built goes out of fashion. It is currently the turn of post-war modernism.

Remember there were serious plans to demolish Whitehall and St Pancras Station

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    Any pictures? Exeter is kind of renowned for being pretty for the landscape.
    Exeter
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think most people realise that buildings go through a cycle of unpopularity when the architectural style in which they were built goes out of fashion. It is currently the turn of post-war modernism.

Remember there were serious plans to demolish Whitehall and St Pancras Station
    Really? I never actually knew that to be fair lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Devonshire dome (University of Derby) is breathtaking

it's a pleasing mash-up of Georgian collided with something out of H G Wells

Name:  dome1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  7.5 KBName:  dome0.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  dome3.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  16.8 KBName:  dome2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  13.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    In my very arrogant and biased opinion, Edge Hill University, especially some of the more modern buildings

Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.