Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Here is the point.

Here is you.

Nope that's not how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture

Would you like to guess why there isn't a wikipedia page on "white culture"?

And you are YET to explain what CNY is, since you think you know so well. I'm all ears.

Black people aren't the only people that live in america. Just an FYI.

Yes, because no one decided to invent any new labels to describe the other groups of people living in america yet. Silly question.

Okay well first of all. When you say Chinese New year is open to everyone. Well it's open to everyone in the same way that anyone can decide they want to start taking part in ramadan and no ones stopping them. Or anyone could go to the Dinagyan festival which celebrates Filipino history / culture. And if I wanted I could take an interest in black history month or go to a gay pride parade even though I'm not black or gay.

So if there was a white parade similar to gay pride no ones stopping you from going either. It's just a matter of how much interest you have in another culture or if you just want a reason to party or whatever.

Chinese New year is pretty much what it says on the tin. It celebrates the new year and Chinese culture / traditions. It's specifically a Chinese celebration, it originates from China hence the name. Other countries in that area have their own versions of new year celebrations. And tbh Chinese culture has a huge focus on pride and basically showing off. Theres a lot of giving away of money at pretty much every Chinese event and just pride in general. And I always feel pride for my heritage during these events and most other people do as well. The reason YOU don't feel pride taking part in Chinese new year is because you're probably not Chinese. So even though you went off on a tangent making an argument about pride having nothing to do with it, you're still wrong anyway lol.

You didn't answer MY question though. Why are you so concerned with everyone's race? Why do you care if a white person wants to celebrate their heritage?

ReputationRep:
    White people not understanding that their Pride Day is every day. White people not understanding that their White History month is 12 months a year whether it be through History classes or through any of those historic BBC dramas from Tudors to Becket. White people must have everything, and if they see something that does not exist on their terms it is "discriminatory" and "unfair". Apparently not much has changed. I guess that's enough for today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazebi)
    Think about it.
    Even if it says everyone welcome, doesnt mean a minority person would feel welcome or fit in there because of the fact that it says 'STRAIGHT WHITE GUY'
    I'm not even sure they'd want to go anyway. Anyway I just think this poster is a silly little joke.

I used to think a little like you - but other pride festivals are taken seriously because, as its been said multiples times by various people through this thread, minorities have faced a lot of discrimination in recent history, and still continue with those struggles. Their voices have been silenced in the past, so a festival is a chance for them to say "We're here and we're proud despite all the struggles." It's common sense. Of course if you meet someone from a minority group who thinks differently from this that's fine, just remember they don't speak for all people of that minority.
    White people are a minority group. We are a small number in a vast human population and our numbers will only dwindle (not that I particularly care but I'm trying to play devils advocate for the sake of debate). The Welsh also. My family and the people in these lands have been subjugated by English control for centuries, the effects of which have carried on today. Is it right for Welsh people to show pride whilst the English dare not do so?

In fact... class is probably the biggest factor in the UK that has determined discrimination on a large scale. The people of these lands have been serfs, and now, they are trapped into poverty under capitalism. Shall we as working class people have an entire day to celebrate us being persecuted by the aristocracy and business leaders?

ReputationRep:
    Everything that's associated with whiteness the Jews got rich from. Take Ukraine for example, how many Jews live there? tens of thousands, a hundred thousands? yet most of their billionaire oligarch's are all Jewish. When the Soviet Union fell, you saw billionaire Jews leave Russia and pop up in Israel. Jews have all the wealth yet nobody dare call them privileged.

ReputationRep:
    White people not understanding that their Pride Day is every day. White people not understanding that their White History month is 12 months a year whether it be through History classes or through any of those historic BBC dramas from Tudors to Becket. White people must have everything, and if they see something that does not exist on their terms it is "discriminatory" and "unfair". Apparently not much has changed. I guess that's enough for today.

that gif usage :rock:

ReputationRep:

Well it's common sense that the country that you live in will mostly(almost entirely) have history documentaries showing on tv specific to that country. Since it's a lot easier to do research on the country that you are living in. However the BBC is pretty much a world wide organisation and there are a lot of documentaries from them on other countries such as China and Africa. I know because I spend a lot of time watching history documentaries. There are a lot of them on other countries being shown in the UK almost daily tbh.

And also every single country in the world has history classes in their schools specific to their home country or continent.

If you really want to learn about the history of a particular country though no ones stopping you. I do it all the time as a hobby.

I like how you've just ignored my other posts after insulting me though. You're extremely rude and racist imo. I find all of your posts offensive and I'm not even fully 'white'. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you keep telling other people what they can and can't celebrate when no one is doing it to you. Mind your own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    White people are a minority group. We are a small number in a vast human population and our numbers will only dwindle (not that I particularly care but I'm trying to play devils advocate for the sake of debate). The Welsh also. My family and the people in these lands have been subjugated by English control for centuries, the effects of which have carried on today. Is it right for Welsh people to show pride whilst the English dare not do so?

In fact... class is probably the biggest factor in the UK that has determined discrimination on a large scale. The people of these lands have been serfs, and now, they are trapped into poverty under capitalism. Shall we as working class people have an entire day to celebrate us being persecuted by the aristocracy and business leaders?
    In the world, yes, but in the UK specifically I don't think so.

You're making a deeper point here about issues you feel more passionate about I assume? So I'm not gonna insult you by trying to make an argument sounding like I know what I'm talking about - I'm not Welsh and i've never lived in poverty - this debate of rich and poor is something I know so very little about, but yes there are lots of other issues to discuss I just don't really know enough about these things to engage in debate surrounding them.
    I hope someone else can chime in though because it seems like an interesting discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Well it's common sense that the country that you live in will mostly(almost entirely) have history documentaries showing on tv specific to that country. Since it's a lot easier to do research on the country that you are living in. However the BBC is pretty much a world wide organisation and there are a lot of documentaries from them on other countries such as China and Africa. I know because I spend a lot of time watching history documentaries. There are a lot of them on other countries being shown in the UK almost daily tbh.

And also every single country in the world has history classes in their schools specific to their home country or continent.

If you really want to learn about the history of a particular country though no ones stopping you. I do it all the time as a hobby.

I like how you've just ignored my other posts after insulting me though. You're extremely rude and racist imo. I find all of your posts offensive and I'm not even fully 'white'.

British History is a compulsory attribute to our curriculum from Key Stage 1. Not African History, Not Asian History. Lets not bull**** ourselves. And I wasn't talking about documentaries, I'm talking about ongoing Dramas, forms of entertainment that speak to British history and culture. Not the odd boring documentary once in a blue moon. I don't really care for your feelings so you can miss me with that oversensitive BS.
    Thanks for playing.

ReputationRep:
    In the world, yes, but in the UK specifically I don't think so.

You're making a deeper point here about issues you feel more passionate about I assume? So I'm not gonna insult you by trying to make an argument sounding like I know what I'm talking about - I'm not Welsh and i've never lived in poverty - this debate of rich and poor is something I know so very little about, but yes there are lots of other issues to discuss I just don't really know enough about these things to engage in debate surrounding them.
    I hope someone else can chime in though because it seems like an interesting discussion.
    Ye even today there exists discrimination between England and Wales. Welsh companies and Welsh managers will pretty much favour other people from Wales. It's not really the same with English companies/managers though I don't think.

ReputationRep:

British History is a compulsory attribute to our curriculum from Key Stage 1. Not African History, Not Asian History. Lets not bull**** ourselves. And I wasn't talking about documentaries, I'm talking about ongoing Dramas, forms of entertainment that speak to British history and culture. Not the odd boring documentary once in a blue moon. I don't really care for your feelings so you can miss me with that oversensitive BS.
    Thanks for playing.

So you're basically racist and don't care about offending other people. This will be my last post concerning you.

Yes British history is compulsory in Britain. No **** Sherlock. Every country in the world has history lessons about their own country. If its such a huge deal that you want your children to learn about a certain country in school. Move to that country.

Or feel free to become a professional historian and learn about which ever country you feel like. Then make your own documentaries. No ones stopping you.

And yes we live in the UK so historical dramas are going to be about, wait for it..... the UK.

Mate common sense. It's easy for historians to just drive down to a field and start excavation. You can't exactly drive down the road to Africa and start doing research. Common sense. If we lived in Africa we'd have more documentaries about Africa for common sense reasons.

And you never did answer my question which I asked in every post.... Why do you find it offensive that other people take pride in their heritage?
    Doesn't matter though I know the answer is because you're just racist.

ReputationRep:
    And you never did answer my question which I asked in every post.... Why do you find it offensive that other people take pride in their heritage?

I never once said I found it offensive. I said that it is unnecessary to have a straight white pride day in Britain because it defeats the very purpose of a Pride Festival. It's about time you ameliorate your reading comprehension.

So you're basically racist and don't care about offending other people. This will be my last post concerning you.

Yes British history is compulsory in Britain. No **** Sherlock. Every country in the world has history lessons about their own country. If its such a huge deal that you want your children to learn about a certain country in school. Move to that country.

Or feel free to become a professional historian and learn about which ever country you feel like. Then make your own documentaries. No ones stopping you.

And yes we live in the UK so historical dramas are going to be about, wait for it..... the UK.
    Well then. Now that we've established that whiteness, white culture and white history is celebrated everyday. My question to you is, why do you need a festival dedicated to it? Why? Give me one good reason? That's what I thought.

ReputationRep:

I never once said I found it offensive. I said that it is unnecessary to have a straight white pride day in Britain because it defeats the very purpose of a Pride Festival. It's about time you ameliorate your reading comprehension.

Well then. Now that we've established that whiteness, white culture and white history is celebrated everyday. My question to you is, why do you need a festival dedicated to it? Why? Give me one good reason? That's what I thought.

By your logic having a Chinese celebration in China shouldn't be allowed
    The Dinagyan Festival in Phillipines shouldn't be allowed
    Pretty much any cultural celebration within the country it originates from shouldn't be allowed.

Some dumb logic you're spouting to try and justify your racist ideas.

Telling an entire group of people they cannot celebrate their culture. Just **** off will you.

If you went to the Phillipines and told everyone "yo stop celebrating Dinagyan. Your festival is everyday. No need for all this dancing and merry making. Pointless and unnecessary." They'd tell you to **** off as well.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any cultural celebration within the country it originates from shouldn't be allowed.

Telling an entire group of people they cannot celebrate their culture. Just **** off will you.
    Logic? How do you know logic? Looking at your posts in this thread, I'm sure she's not in your address book.

(Original post by Let Me Google It For You)
    Chinese New Year
    noun
    noun: Chinese New Year

• the Chinese festival marking the start of the new year, beginning on the second new moon after the winter solstice and ending on the full moon fifteen days later. It is marked by visits to family and friends, special meals, fireworks, and gift giving.

It's not a celebration of culture, identity, or history. And most importantly it's not a pride. It's a basically a "Happy New Year"/Christmas Day for Chinese people. And it's kinda pathetic, that you claim to be Chinese and not understand that. Move along.

ReputationRep:

If you went to the Phillipines and told everyone "yo stop celebrating Dinagyan. Your festival is everyday. No need for all this dancing and merry making. Pointless and unnecessary." They'd tell you to **** off as well.

That's a different point - I think you might be misreading him slightly

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, we white folk are stuck with the label of 'universal bad guys' and don't have the freedom to celibate or even teach anything about ourselves and our countries' cultures without some stuck-up moron telling us how horrible and racist we are.

ReputationRep:
    Logic? How do you know logic? Looking at your posts in this thread, I'm sure she's not in your address book.

It's not a celebration of culture, identity, or history. And most importantly it's not a pride. It's a basically a "Happy New Year"/Christmas Day for Chinese people. And it's kinda pathetic, that you claim to be Chinese and not understand that. Move along.

Chinese new year isn't the only celebration. Notice how I didn't say Chinese new year in my post.

And also Dinagyan Festival is literally like the gay pride parade but instead just Filipino pride about the culture and history. Loads of dancing and floats. There are also a lot of festivals like this for Chinese communties that are pretty much the same as the gay pride parades.

God you're so ****ing ignorant. You're not even addressing any of the points I make either. Just lol at you googling Chinese new year and pretty much repeating what I already said to you.

Anyway I'm getting bored of arguing with a racist kid.

That's a different point - I think you might be misreading him slightly
    Not really. Just read his posts and pretend they're aimed at you and your ethnicity. Just a vile prejudiced racist human being.

Or possibly a clever troll. If he is then he did a good job because this is probably the first time I've been angry at someone on the internet lol.

ReputationRep:

A bitter black guy butthurt because a white guy is proud to be white. Haha, you're a true racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    A bitter black guy butthurt because a white guy is proud to be white. Haha, you're a true racist.
    truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Unfortunately, we white folk are stuck with the label of 'universal bad guys' and don't have the freedom to celibate or even teach anything about ourselves and our countries' cultures without some stuck-up moron telling us how horrible and racist we are.
    I know, these people are the real racists, it's only the multicultuelists making race an issue, telling us how we must be, how we must exist, they don't value whites at all, so it's about time whites started speaking up, they hate to see a whitey do that, but what they don't mind is if you're called a racist, a nazi and subguagted by their racially extreme agendas like 'multicultualism' without saying enough. Seems like the only time they're happy is if whites are lap dogs and allow themselves to be dishonoured by bias, provocative laws.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese new year isn't the only celebration. Notice how I didn't say Chinese new year in my post.

And also Dinagyan Festival is literally like the gay pride parade but instead just Filipino pride about the culture and history. Loads of dancing and floats. There are also a lot of festivals like this for Chinese communties that are pretty much the same as the gay pride parades.

God you're so ****ing ignorant. You're not even addressing any of the points I make either. Just lol at you googling Chinese new year and pretty much repeating what I already said to you.

Anyway I'm getting bored of arguing with a racist kid.

Not really. Just read his posts and pretend they're aimed at you and your ethnicity. Just a vile prejudiced racist human being.

Or possibly a clever troll. If he is then he did a good job because this is probably the first time I've been angry at someone on the internet lol.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but those would be the equivalent of public holidays - like we have in the UK too e.g St Georges Day, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas etc
    Other festivals relating to race or sexuality or whatever aren't public holidays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.