Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    They gave me stupid reason: "public indecency and causing a scene on university grounds" I was like meh.
    And it isn't public indecency to try and steal? They Should be thanking you
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Really? It's always a lot worse than the bus though. Unbelievably crowded :unimpressed:
    Dunno, I prefer tube to busses because I don't have to speak to bus drivers lol

ReputationRep:
    Like a lot of people on this thread (which makes me so sad ) the moment I realized I was very lucky and my family were reasonably well off (well, owned a 4 bed home in Devon, 2 cars, used to ride horses & play tennis etc etc.) was the moment that we lost it all.

When the company my parents owned franchises from went bust, my father went bankrupt and our home was repossessed, going from that lifestyle to one in which we had no home was a big wake up call. I was 11, my brothers 7 and 4 and that Christmas the only presents we got were from our grandparents bc our parents couldn't even afford to feed us, let alone buy us gifts. I remember going to the supermarket with my mum when we moved into our rented accommodation in NI (housing benefit is a bloody lifesaver) and my mum and I playing a game trying to find the cheapest food we could.

No means am I angry or upset about that time in our lives now. The move to Northern Ireland gave myself and my brother the chance to attend a non-fee paying grammar school of which I can thank for getting me where I am now. 6 years on, we're in a bigger rented house, my dad is halfway through his computer science degree, we have a comfortable life and best of all, I have another gorgeous baby brother It's true what they say, you don't need money to be truly happy.

ReputationRep:
    Really? It's always a lot worse than the bus though. Unbelievably crowded :unimpressed:
    and stuffy. i always feel like i am going to pass out on the tube and fortunately for me i haven't fainted on the tube or bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    and stuffy. i always feel like i am going to pass out on the tube and fortunately for me i haven't fainted on the tube or bus.
    :yep: especially during summer!! :eek:

Tfl really need to invest in aircon...#firstworldproblems

ReputationRep:
    - when you're nearly 18 and still travel as a child on public transport because going as an adult is just too expensive...

ReputationRep:
    When all my friends went to paris on a school trip and the school offered us pay weekly but my rents couldn't afford it, it was around £50 subsidised. I was heart broken lol I cried my self to sleep. I was the only one in class what didnt go lol.

ReputationRep:
    :yep: especially during summer!! :eek:

Tfl really need to invest in aircon...#firstworldproblems
    i agree. we pay tax and we dont see any improvements on the tube

ReputationRep:
    i agree. we pay tax and we dont see any improvements on the tube
    The met has AC, piccadilly line is improving, Northern line being upgraded etc. Those are improvements...

ReputationRep:
    The met has AC, piccadilly line is improving, Northern line being upgraded etc. Those are improvements...
    cool oh and does H&C and Vic also have it

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of these stories I know I'm really lucky. I'm from a completely average family and am pretty spoilt (only child - well for my dad).
    My dad even gave me money for every 'A' I got at GCSE/A-level. I really take it for granted as well, which is the worst.
    I am determined not to live off my dad after I've finished my degree, I want to move out and make it on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    For me there were a few things that made it plainly obvious we were struggling financially top ones would probably be.

- When my mum had to work Christmas eve and Christmas day when we were kids because she couldn't afford not to take the shifts.

-When my packed lunches were bread and butter (before they started offering us free school lunches).

-Most of my clothes were second hand or hand me downs, own clothes days at school were just a recipe for bullying.

-When a pack of biscuits or crisps was a major treat

- the look of confusion and pity on friends faces when they asked me what I got for Christmas or birthdays, that one was probably one the worst.

-hearing my mum cry at night on the phone about money, that's when I realised mainly and stopped asking for things.

-never using the heating

Despite all that I had a great childhood my mum always took great care of us and despite being poor we hardly ever felt it as children.
    awww bless you for being so considerate towards your mum

ReputationRep:
    The upgrades are taking a very long time though. I've noticed almost no difference on the Northern and Piccadilly lines

ReputationRep:
    cool oh and does H&C and Vic also have it
    H&C yes. Victoria I'm not too sure don't usually get that line, if not then It will do soon. I'll ask my mate tonight, his dad is high up within the London Underground staff .

ReputationRep:
    The upgrades are taking a very long time though. I've noticed almost no difference on the Northern and Piccadilly lines
    Northern is yeah. I actually did an internship there last year and helped with the financing of it all, so I know why aha. Picadilly line its more to do with LCH (lost customer hours) and making the service more reliable. My friends dad runs Picadilly line and when he joined there were 0 LHC i.e. every train was on time. They are just generally making the line more efficient and more trains arriving etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I am rich enough to get tropicana freshly pressed orange juice now. Last year i was getting lidl value cartons of orange 1litre for 59p

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah orange juice is one of those things like tomatoes you notice the quality drop quite badly when you get the cheap stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Eating truffles was so casual as if it is chicken, we also have a boat that we use in the summer and also when I found out how much our house is worth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    At Christmas my parents would easily spend over £600 on me, one year I got an XBOX 360 with a kinect, several games, a designer bag, as well as countless other presents. They had to put them in 2 rooms because they wouldn't fit in 1. I got paid £100 per GCSE I got and would regularly get expensive perfumes and makeup bought for me.

Wow I feel like an ******* typing that
    wooow! u were lucky!!

ReputationRep:
    Most working class families are only a paycheck away from being homeless

ReputationRep:
    I have 7 fairly large houses haha... I actually feel quite bad about it though for some reason :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    I've had the experience of both worlds. Up until the age of 14 we were pretty well off.

We owned a house in the south of france
    I had 4 horses
    I went to private school

Then the recession came,my mum got ill (she's the earner) my parents went bankrupt and we lost everything.

We had no heating, we all just had to sit round a fire to keep warm

We lived on tomato soup

We went through a stage of hiding whenever someone knocked on the door.

When I was 17 it all got better and my parents got back on their feet, we got a nice house, i got a mulberry handbag for christmas and we were back to our original financial state

However my dad left 7 months ago and took my mum to the cleaners and ditched me and my sister so now we're heading back in the bad direction. My mum got ill again so had to sell everything and now my sister and I are in a bit of a state because she can't afford to have us at home and both of us are students so have no money.

I guess I'm lucky though that I did experience what it felt like to have everything. It's taught me aswell alot of things about money and to avoid my parents mistakes.
    This is JUST like me!

When I was younger, I used to have a horse. My dad had a really high level job and my mum didn't work.

I went to the best private schools and I was used to everything being pretty comfortable; we had a massive estate with a pool...tennis courts.

After my dad lost his job we had to sell a few of our several homes at the time.

At 16 I got a job and all my money pretty much went into helping my parents.

By this time I was 17 I went through year 12 wearing pretty much all hand me down clothes to government school. At school I missed lunch a lot because I had to help out with the money I earnt.

I guess things have looked up again since, but it's definitely a massive rollercoaster

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.