Current LSE student, ask me anything Watch

MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JamjamjamT)
This isn't aimed at you in particular because I posted it yesterday in another thread -
Bad mood today so this may come off as a bit of a rant

Why do people persist in coming on here and asking if they could get into LSE? Haven't any of these people done any research on what it takes to get into LSE? Haven't they scoured the LSE website for every scrap of information about the course they intend to apply for? Haven't they been to an LSE Open Day or a Student Shadowing session?
There is nobody on here who can categorically say if any applicant will or will not get into LSE or any other Uni. Nobody knows the standard of the other people who will also be applying or how many places will be available. Nobody knows how good or bad everyone's PS will be. Nobody knows if each PS will show the requisite passion that LSE look for or be able to define what that passion actually is and how you write it down in words.

I did my research and sent off my UCAS application before I joined here. I chatted to many people in the LSE Entry thread who had excellent grades, superb extra curricular activities and work related experience and they had been told that they had good to excellent Personal Statements yet they rejected. If there was some magic piece of wisdom that could be passed along to every applicant to ensure they got accepted, then nobody would be rejected.

Get the best grades you possibly can ( but it still might not be enough)
Get as much extra curricular/work experience as you can ( but it still might not be enough)
Write a unique, individual and passionate PS (but it still might not be enough)

Send off your UCAS form - and roll the dice. You either get in or you don't.

For the record this is what this page says -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=1995-London-School-of-Economics-guide
The clue’s in the name really: the London School of Economics and Political Science is the place to be for financial and social sciences courses. Notoriously difficult to get into, the university doesn’t rely on the UCAS points system but judges applicants on their grades. You’ll know you’ll be rubbing shoulders with the cream of the crop if you’re accepted here - after all, more than 35 different world leaders and 18 Nobel laureates are alumni of LSE.
Haha I was simply curious, I'm going to Cambridge anyway but I just wanted to know if I would have got an LSE offer
JamjamjamT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MaxReid)
Haha I was simply curious, I'm going to Cambridge anyway but I just wanted to know if I would have got an LSE offer
Like I said, I posted it in another thread yesterday.

Did you actually apply to LSE?

I don't know if anyone would be able to answer your question because there is no evidence either way to back it up. There are OxBridge applicants who were rejected but got offers at LSE and OxBridge offer holders who were rejected by LSE. If you didn't actually apply then I don't suppose you will ever know.

PS My college really wanted me to apply to Cambridge but after serious consideration, I decided against it. A part of me does fleetingly wonder if I had applied, would I have gotten an offer but what's done is done and I cannot change it. I am happy that I am going to LSE and no doubt you are happy to be going to Cambridge. Good luck mate.
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. I was mainly interested for my friend also, he is re-applying (almost certainly) and was thinking of applying to the LSE.
AQUF42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heard stories that students from Cambridge are just academic and when they come out they are lost
Is that true? i think so

no offence
Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any Pakistanis or Indians that go to LSE?
anupama.alagar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
I am from India and will be doing my Masters this sep .

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQUF42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Butterfly
Loads as most Indians living in the UK apply to top unis
OliviaParis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Many negative reviews about Sidney Webb Hall. Do you know anything about it? How big the rooms are? And how is to live with other 6 people sharing the same kitchen?

Thank you.
Chr0n
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OliviaParis)
Many negative reviews about Sidney Webb Hall. Do you know anything about it? How big the rooms are? And how is to live with other 6 people sharing the same kitchen?
Really? Where have you seen all these reviews? I have just accepted my offer for Sidney Webb. From what I have seen from the website it looks quite alright. In York (where I currently study) I am sharing a kitchen with 15 people and it works out just fine.
ChaoticZen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Help!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3229537
abccba120
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of those questions I want answers too aswell 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
annasattlegger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi thanks for so kindly answering our questions. so here's mine: Do u know any fellow LSE students who got accepted despite not meeting the conditions of their offer?
Vpol
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a conditional offer to study MSc Politics and Communication for Sept 2015
Can anyone tell me how it the program i.e.. teaching/ program evaluation; plus what are the benefits of graduating from it- i mean career options, opportunities etc
TIA
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is High Holborn considered to be good accommodation?
I've heard its quite a 'sweat' hall where it's not very social and full of cliquey international students, do you know any opinion on this? :O
Thanks!!!
blueconstellation
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi thanks for so kindly answering our questions. so here's mine: Do u know any fellow LSE students who got accepted despite not meeting the conditions of their offer?
Yes. Economic History 2013-2016, but it's a less competitive course and happened in the year where the national average A level grades decreased. Don't expect this for most courses in most years.

Is High Holborn considered to be good accommodation?
I've heard its quite a 'sweat' hall where it's not very social and full of cliquey international students, do you know any opinion on this? :O
Thanks!!!
Basically yes - it's expensive and close to campus so it encourages that type, although obviously not all students there are going to fit the stereotype. If you're at LSE to get a good grade/job and not much else then it's the accommodation for you.
blueconstellation
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Plenty
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you live in London with family before? If so, do regret not going to a uni town outside the bubble?

Do you do social life/sport?

Are all your uni friends/coursemates asian?
blueconstellation
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you live in London with family before? If so, do regret not going to a uni town outside the bubble?
Yes, and no I don't regret it. London is a really awesome place to live and not easy to get tired off. The atmosphere is a lot less 'bubbly' than university towns like Cambridge and Durham, IMO.

Do you do social life/sport?
Yes, I do social life.

Are all your uni friends/coursemates asian?
No, but I don't get why that should be relevant to your university choice.
Bennnnn
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am an offer holder for next year but I can't accept my offer until the end of the month, which means I can't be offered accommodation until then. Will the LSE dorms have filled up then? I'd rather not have to end up in the university of London dorms instead
JamjamjamT
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bennnnn)
I am an offer holder for next year but I can't accept my offer until the end of the month, which means I can't be offered accommodation until then. Will the LSE dorms have filled up then? I'd rather not have to end up in the university of London dorms instead
Why can't you accept your offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed