Turn on thread page Beta

Badges are live.... beta rollout! watch

• View Poll Results: What would you like to name the recognition system
    Badges
    61.61%
    Shields
    30.36%
    Something else (please post in the thread)
    8.04%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    This may have been said before (I haven't read the whole thread) but would it be possible to do something like hover over an icon on a profile to see their "badges" or "shields" or whatever?

Kind of makes it a bit... Well.. Less disliked I guess by the people that weren't really too happy with the idea.

I can attempt to photoshop something if you don't know what I mean, but say have an icon (perhaps a shield?) next to the username which when hovered over will display their badges, or perhaps their five most recent and then a link to their profile to see the rest, for those who are interested? Kind of keeps the concept but more to the liking of those who didn't like the original idea. Just a thought.

EDIT: Just seen what you've actually put in place which is pretty similar to what I was suggesting really
    'ello there

So do you mean that if we hovered over the badge icon under rep a floating image of the cabinet would show up? Something similar perhaps to the rep explanation if your hover over the ? by the green gems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    The site is having some technical difficulties at the moment - it's not just you
    Aha, good to hear! Ta dude.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Aha, good to hear! Ta dude.
    No worries - I would rep you, but errr the CT apparently enjoy me ranting about the limits of rep I can give, and are looking forward to my invasion to take over TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    'ello there

So do you mean that if we hovered over the badge icon under rep a floating image of the cabinet would show up? Something similar perhaps to the rep explanation if your hover over the ? by the green gems?
    Yes! Just like hovering over the "?" beside rep. Means people could see other's shields without having to click on another page too
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Yes! Just like hovering over the "?" beside rep. Means people could see other's shields without having to click on another page too
    I actually think this is a really good idea!

Rep whoring is going to be uncontrollable now

ReputationRep:
    No worries - I would rep you, but errr the CT apparently enjoy me ranting about the limits of rep I can give, and are looking forward to my invasion to take over TSR!
    Haha, no worries.

With regards to what the user underneath the post I've quoted has said, when TSR thought I was a guest and had the username and post count at the side of the post instead of above it, it had the badge count too.

If something like that has been implemented for guest viewing then why not for user viewing? Or was it just a glitch in the matrix?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I think we did discuss whether that could be an option when we started looking into the design of this....

I'll get back to you tomorrow

(Original post by tehFrance)
    Rep whoring is going to be uncontrollable now
    We'll keep our eyes peeled... but hopefully with the way we've set it up it won't be super easy to do that...

What do you think?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Haha, no worries.

With regards to what the user underneath the post I've quoted has said, when TSR thought I was a guest and had the username and post count at the side of the post instead of above it, it had the badge count too.

If something like that has been implemented for guest viewing then why not for user viewing? Or was it just a glitch in the matrix?
    I'm not sure tbh - all I know is that I've been having issues from this afternoon and it's annoying me lol - I would assume it's a glitch...

ReputationRep:
    We saw that too - it should be all ok now Thank you for posting the screenshot, it's a relief to see they we're seeing the same thing in the office.
    I realise you posted this 4 hours ago but I'm having a problem every now and then. Will try and get a screenshot when it next happens to show you how it changes for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure tbh - all I know is that I've been having issues from this afternoon and it's annoying me lol - I would assume it's a glitch...
    It happened literally as I replied XD

Let's hope the image is big enough...

SUCCESS!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I realise you posted this 4 hours ago but I'm having a problem every now and then. Will try and get a screenshot when it next happens to show you how it changes for me.
    It keeps going a little bit squiggly for me too - the threads look a little lopsided don't they.

We'll investigate properly tomorrow, thanks a bunch for letting me know
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    It happened literally as I replied XD

Let's hope the image is big enough...

SUCCESS!
    Haha, yeh!

ReputationRep:
    It keeps going a little bit squiggly for me too - the threads look a little lopsided don't they.

We'll investigate properly tomorrow, thanks a bunch for letting me know
    As if by magic it happens on the very next thread I go on. :lol:

Here we go.

What the thread looked like:

Name:  New Layout.png
Views: 205
Size:  140.2 KB

How it normally would look (and did after refreshing page):
    Name:  Usual layout.png
Views: 197
Size:  149.4 KB
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    As if by magic it happens on the very next thread I go on. :lol:

Here we go.

What the thread looked like:

How it normally would look (and did after refreshing page):
    That's exactly how mine looks I'll send this to the dev team ready for tomorrow. Thanks for the screenshots.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    So I got a notification saying I was awarded a badge about a minute ago. There is a new tab in my profile and the badge is there. It says Level 2. What's a badge and what does level 2 chatterbox mean?

My profile is my personal space and some admin invaded it and inserted some random tab! :mad:

Where is the Kings' justice? Lord CEO of TSR, you shall be summoned.
    (Original post by mr tim)
    see here for details.
    Thanks for explaining mr tim. Hope that helps Juichiro

If you have any other questions just let me know
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Thanks for explaining mr tim. Hope that helps Juichiro

If you have any other questions just let me know
    Ahhhh, only 2 badges poor form
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Ahhhh, only 2 badges poor form

Hero.... something to aim for
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Hero.... something to aim for
    Hahaha - so if you suddenly have Hero level 3 tomorrow, I know that those screenshots aren't the only thing you've been asking the dev team to fix

ReputationRep:
    I think people should be rewarded with a colour name if they get like level 5 or something? It's at least a bit more useful then.

Also we need a system like neg rep without actually being neg rep, so the person isn't emotionally traumatised lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.