The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rolierol
got an offer for AAB for business management and marketing.. thinking on going to this uni, but hows the uni? like overall?

What are your predicted grades?

In terms of rankings Guardian ranks it 54 and Complete Uni Guide ranks it 39. All these are overall. I think it will move up for next year though.

The accommodation looks good. I'm just more concerned about what's the partying like. It doesn't seem to have a nightlife!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
my predicted grades are A*A*A*.. i am just torn between essex and UEA

Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What are your predicted grades?

In terms of rankings Guardian ranks it 54 and Complete Uni Guide ranks it 39. All these are overall. I think it will move up for next year though.

The accommodation looks good. I'm just more concerned about what's the partying like. It doesn't seem to have a nightlife!

Surely they would have given you an unconditional if you are predicted 3 A*s?

UEA look good. It depends on the course. All 1st years tell you when you visit a uni, you will know if it's for you or not! It happens to everyone and myself included!
it is conditional because ofcourse i am not assure to get that... that is what i asked to my college, they said to me that they offered me a conditional because the outcome of my results might be different..

so you went to UEA? my firm is either between essex or UEA.

Surely they would have given you an unconditional if you are predicted 3 A*s?

UEA look good. It depends on the course. All 1st years tell you when you visit a uni, you will know if it's for you or not! It happens to everyone and myself included!
it is conditional because ofcourse i am not assure to get that... that is what i asked to my college, they said to me that they offered me a conditional because the outcome of my results might be different..

so you went to UEA? my firm is either between essex or UEA.
Ah. Last year, a class mates was predicted high markes and she applied to uni of bham to study English and she got an unconditional. Meaning if she didnt get the AAB (predicted A*AA), they would let her in if she achieved ABB/BBB. I guess it depends.

No im just a current 1st year at a uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On my gap year, offered an unconditional offer - English lit and History.. Not sure yet if firming.

Id personally tilt more towards UEA since the uni is generally growing in prestige and is more well known than Essex, which is quite important because employers could possibly care about this. Have you visited both unis? They are both very similar (60's architecture) but I personally prefer Norwich over Colchester, I feel like it has more character.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how accomodation works? Because I've not even had my interview yet and if they do it first come first serve then I'll be at a disadvantage :frown: also do they house postgraduate students together? Because nothing against freshers but I want a quiet 2 years haha
Anyone know how relaxed they are if you don't get the grades?
Original post by angelfox

Well in my A-levels I got BBC and I'm applying for ABB course. I emailed them saying they will consider my application. So I guess I will confirm your question when they give me the verdict of my application. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
Well in my A-levels I got BBC and I'm applying for ABB course. I emailed them saying they will consider my application. So I guess I will confirm your question when they give me the verdict of my application. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

So you'd done A2, and that's what you got?

Good luck!
Thank you for this advice. Many people have recently told me the environment in norwich is better than colchester. So i have been thinking of putting UEA as my firm and possible essex as insurance. No i have not visited both unis.. but going to UEA in 2 weeks

Original post by inthechaos
Id personally tilt more towards UEA since the uni is generally growing in prestige and is more well known than Essex, which is quite important because employers could possibly care about this. Have you visited both unis? They are both very similar (60's architecture) but I personally prefer Norwich over Colchester, I feel like it has more character.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you'd done A2, and that's what you got?

Good luck!

I'm at uni now... They know my situation and you don't so don't patronize me, it's shallow and pathetic. You mind your business and I'll mind my own.
I'm at uni now... They know my situation and you don't so don't patronize me, it's shallow and pathetic. You mind your business and I'll mind my own.

Sorry for trying to offer my support.

Lol mate I don't think it was a sarcastic comment, I think he was genuinely saying good luck, don't get so defensive!!!
Hi Guys!
I have been offered a place for Actuarial Science with Year Abroad. Does any one of you know something about how is teaching in this domain at Essex? Any reviews and opinions on this? Thank you!

I went to an applicant day on the 14th with my daughter and they made it quite clear that if you missed your grades all would not necessarily be lost. However, they didn't specify how much of a miss would still be acceptable to them. Also, I suppose it's possible that different departments take different approaches with some of the more competitive ones not giving you much or any leeway.
Original post by FionaMG
I went to an applicant day on the 14th with my daughter and they made it quite clear that if you missed your grades all would not necessarily be lost. However, they didn't specify how much of a miss would still be acceptable to them. Also, I suppose it's possible that different departments take different approaches with some of the more competitive ones not giving you much or any leeway.

Cheers
Original post by Physflop
Lol mate I don't think it was a sarcastic comment, I think he was genuinely saying good luck, don't get so defensive!!!

Personally it can looked at both ways. It was a "good luck (you'll need it)". That's how I read it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending