Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Ok I've attached my working because im still stuck on getting the final answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're almost there. (R-A)xB=0 is the equation of a line, right? The question is asking to bring it in the form of RxB=AxB (where B is the a in the question and AxB is the b in the question)

You know the B, which is your a (-2i+5j+13k). And the A would be a point on the line, which is the point of intersection you worked out (15/13i -5/13j) If you cross product these two you will get your b.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemlover12)
    You're almost there. (R-A)xB=0 is the equation of a line, right? The question is asking to bring it in the form of RxB=AxB (where B is the a in the question and AxB is the b in the question)

You know the B, which is your a (-2i+5j+13k). And the A would be a point on the line, which is the point of intersection you worked out (15/13i -5/13j) If you cross product these two you will get your b.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you say cross product and was wondering if you would mind showing your working on a piece of paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean when you say cross product and was wondering if you would mind showing your working on a piece of paper?
    Hope this helps. I'm assuming the working you've posted earlier is correct, which I'm sure it is. Hope it makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, what proofs are we supposed to know for this exam? like i think we need to know (AB)-1 = B-1A-1 but any others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    Hope this helps. I'm assuming the working you've posted earlier is correct, which I'm sure it is. Hope it makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks that helps a lot! I was being silly in my calculations and accidentally used 15/13i and 15/13j instead of 5/13j which I had written down but some how put into the calculator incorrectly!

ReputationRep:
    According to Edexcel, this is what I need for my FM A level.
    GCE A Level Further Mathematics:
    • AS - Further Pure Mathematics 1, Application or FPunit, Application unit
    • A2 - Further Pure Mathematics 2 or 3, Application unit, Application unit
    And to get an A* I need 480 overall, with 270 in 3 A2 units.
    Based on this info, does it mean that if I put FP1 (93 UMS), FP2 (maybe 82 UMS), D1 (95 UMS) as my AS units, and M1 (maybe 92 UMS), M2 (maybe 95 UMS) and FP3 as my A2 units, that I need 83 UMS in FP3 to get an A*? Or am I understanding it wrong??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smem_96)
    According to Edexcel, this is what I need for my FM A level.
    GCE A Level Further Mathematics:
    • AS - Further Pure Mathematics 1, Application or FPunit, Application unit
    • A2 - Further Pure Mathematics 2 or 3, Application unit, Application unit
    And to get an A* I need 480 overall, with 270 in 3 A2 units.
    Based on this info, does it mean that if I put FP1 (93 UMS), FP2 (maybe 82 UMS), D1 (95 UMS) as my AS units, and M1 (maybe 92 UMS), M2 (maybe 95 UMS) and FP3 as my A2 units, that I need 83 UMS in FP3 to get an A*? Or am I understanding it wrong??
    FP2 can be counted for A*
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf A STAR (maths).pdf (24.4 KB, 58 views)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused on june 2009 3b, it's quite straightforward but I think I'm messing up somewhere I got to the stage of where the markscheme says y=4z but then I am not able to translate that to the final stage and be able to come up with the eigenvector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    FP2 can be counted for A*
    So if I've done slightly better than I think in either FP2, M1 or M2, then I can get an A* and don't have to worry as much about FP3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smem_96)
    So if I've done slightly better than I think in either FP2, M1 or M2, then I can get an A* and don't have to worry as much about FP3?
    any unit which finishes in 1 DOES NOT count for A*
    (M1 cannot be counted)

ReputationRep:
    Right, my Physics A Level is down the drain
    Now a few days to re learn this stuff...I shall need a miracle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yeah I've focused on my other exams, and haven't studied for FP3 or S2 in ages. This is the issue with exams at the end of exam season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Yeah I've focused on my other exams, and haven't studied for FP3 or S2 in ages. This is the issue with exams at the end of exam season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's especially annoying when you know you might as well have not bothered. I would say that S2 doesn't require too much study but the Jan 2015 paper was horrible and Edexcel seem to love their hard statistics in general this year...hopefully the trend of standard FPs will continue.

ReputationRep:
    It's especially annoying when you know you might as well have not bothered. I would say that S2 doesn't require too much study but the Jan 2015 paper was horrible and Edexcel seem to love their hard statistics in general this year...hopefully the trend of standard FPs will continue.
    are you also sitting AEA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmms95)
    Nope. Would love to be considering I may have missed my STEP grade.

ReputationRep:
    on the same boat as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmms95)
    are you sitting AEA? i am, but i wish i wasn't

ReputationRep:
    JOIN THE FURTHER MATHS CHAT ROOM HERE http://us20.chatzy.com/16507605831021

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundhippo)
    JOIN THE FURTHER MATHS CHAT ROOM HERE http://us20.chatzy.com/16507605831021
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyzmaster)
    are you sitting AEA? i am, but i wish i wasn't
    yeah, why don't you want to?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.