Why is british culture so awful compared to the rest of europe? Watch

Dexa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by TeachChemistry)
If UK is so bad why are there so many immigrants risking their lives to get here?
one word. benefits.
Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ExcitedPup)
I'm sure it's very nice in the centre. What's the building at the top? Is it like a guildhall? I really like it.

But the photo from the tall building showing us the cityscape doesn't look that different from a regional English city like Leicester or something. As for the building with the coloured glass, it's modern but there are lots of modern buildings here. Just take a walk around central London, or even regional cities in the UK, and you'll see modern, architecturally interesting buildings.

In every country, there are nice areas and there are not so nice areas. I personally really enjoyed visiting Poland, but I don't think you should be blind to its very real problems, just as the UK has problems.

To criticise the entire UK based on some stereotypes about how people dress, based on some misapprehended belief that the British don't have culture, tells us much more about the person saying it than it does about England. It's like when someone says that the Americans have no culture, it tells us far more about the person who is saying it, and their profound cultural ignorance, than it does about the US
The first building was the Town Hall.
I'm not blind to it's problems, I like the look of it better than England, but I would never want to go back and live there. I lived in England for longer than I have in Poland, therefore I am able to make my own judgement of both places.
BoomCha!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dexa)
one word. benefits.
Precisely. Under our ridiculous system, most immigrants go straight on benefits at the the expense of the British taxpayer, who actually work for a living as opposed to most immigrants who have never worked a day in their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Crongety)
People saying london has culture? What do you mean? I don't think London has any culture, it has fashion and trends.
Museums, art galleries, live music venues, opera houses, theatres, publishers, newspapers, universities, historical architecture, clubs (in the Pall Mall sense), festivals, nightlife

How do you define culture then? I don't think any serious definition of culture would result in London not being high up there
PurpleLamb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where do you live?

Probably just outside Bradford or something.
I don't, you probably couldn't even find Bradford or where I live on a map, its just once of the few cities you heard in the media.

Actually I'm a dual citizen and I have a British passport I note with some interest you carefully avoided my comment about your having never even left Europe.
I didn't avoid it, just didn't feel compelled to answer because its a mocking question. I've been to countries in Asia, Afica and the USA

I would not be surprised if I've seen more of this country than you have
I doubt it, but you have a very arrogant personality so whatever helps back up your world view.

(Original post by Crongety)
People saying london has culture? What do you mean? I don't think London has any culture, it has fashion and trends.
London has a culture of its own, so to speak. I'd describe it as quite different to the rest of the UK, especially outside of South England.
FredOrJohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Finns bottle each other outside McDonalds on Sunday Mornings, we do it Friday night.

They eat pork , we eat cod and lamb.

They have long pony tails , big beer bellies, and tatoes, we grew out of that in the 90s.
They still have karaoke in Irish Themed pubs....

(I lived in Finland for 12 months)
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Partial agreement OP.
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PurpleLamb)
I don't, you probably couldn't even find Bradford or where I live on a map, its just once of the few cities you heard in the media.
Why would I want to go there? I've been to York and Leeds, I've spent a lot of time in Northumberland very close to the Scottish border, in all the time I've spent in that area I've never felt any need to go. But given you appear to be hurt by my comment about Bradford, why don't you tell us of its cultural treasures, its thriving theatre scene, its great store of paintings and sculptures; this should be a fantastic test case to compare London to a regional English city. After all, you claim that the average English regional city is far more culturally disposed than London

By the way, most English people have never even been to Scotland. Most English people have never been to Oxford or Cambridge or Bristol (all of which I loved visiting). Most have never been to Cornwall. Given your little England mindset, I would be surprised if you are any different.

I note also you are avoiding the question of where you live. Are you embarrassed?

London has a culture of its own, so to speak. I'd describe it as quite different to the rest of the UK, especially outside of South England.
You seem to be confused. Culture, as in the values, language and solidarity between a particular ethnic group, and culture as in cultural activities and assets such as theatre, artifacts, books and newspapers, paintings, musical performances, etc are not the same thing.

Your position on this obviously is a product of your xenophobia and a desperate need to denigrate London on the basis of its immigrant population. The presence of immigrants does not lessen the cultural import of the treasures of the British Museum, or the collection of the Tate, or the riches stored in the libraries of Middle and Inner Temple.

A woman walking down the street in a burka has no actual bearing on the cultural value of London as found in its museums, galleries, theatres, libraries, archives, live music venues, opera houses, universities etc
PurpleLamb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would I want to go there? I've been to York and Leeds, I've spent a lot of time in Northumberland very close to the Scottish border, for one. Most English people have never even been to Scotland. Most English people have never been to Oxford or Cambridge or Bristol. Most have never been to Cornwall. Given your little England mindset, I would be surprised if you are any different.
I'm not actually English, but you have a very hostile attitude towards them, its quite interesting. You get a similar attitude from a lot of foreigners, they all talk about loving England and English culture and wanting to live here, then they speak of the English people like they're the scum of the earth. Its one of the driving causes of this 'little England' mindset, because you come to their country and treat them like trash, learn to show respect towards native people.

Why would I want to go there? I've been to York and Leeds, I've spent a lot of time in Northumberland very close to the Scottish border, for one. Most English people have never even been to Scotland. Most English people have never been to Oxford or Cambridge or Bristol. Most have never been to Cornwall. Given your little England mindset, I would be surprised if you are any different.

You seem to be confused. Culture, as in the values, language and solidarity between a particular ethnic group, and culture as in cultural activities and assets such as theatre, artifacts, books and newspapers, paintings, musical performances, etc.

Your position on this obviously is a product of your xenophobia and a desperate need to denigrate London on the basis of its immigrant population. The presence of immigrants does not lessen the cultural import of the treasures of the British Museum, or the collection of the Tate, or the riches stored in the libraries of Middle and Inner Temple.

A woman walking down the street in a burka has no actual bearing on the cultural value of London found in its museums, galleries, theatres, libraries, etc
How can I be Xenophobic when I am a foreigner? I just see London for what it is, a globalised city for the businesses of the UK. It isn't an English city, hasn't been for a long time.
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not actually English, but you have a very hostile attitude towards them, its quite interesting. You get a similar attitude from a lot of foreigners, they all talk about loving England and English culture and wanting to live here, then they speak of the English people like they're the scum of the earth. Its one of the driving causes of this 'little England' mindset, because you come to their country and treat them like trash, learn to show respect towards native people.
I'm a British citizen. I don't need to do anything. I'm making a very valid point about the insularity of many English people. And given you have conceded you're a foreigner (which I am not), perhaps you're out of your depth a little bit to tell me what I can and can't say about my own country.

This is not slating all English people, I love this country; I chose to make my life here. I was born a British citizen. The little England mindset is not England, it doesn't speak for England, and criticising it is not criticising England

You keep dodging the question of where you live. Please show us which English city is more "cultural" than London. By the way, London is an English city; it's in England.

Ancient Rome was the most globalised city of its day (or regionalised, perhaps). London in the 19th century was extremely globally-oriented. As is New York. It is the sign of a great city to be well-disposed to the world and to attract many talented individuals from other lands
PurpleLamb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You keep dodging the question of where you live. Please show us which English city is more "cultural" than London. By the way, London is an English city; it's in England.
Pay attention, I already told you, I live in the countryside, I don't live in a city

Ancient Rome was the most globalised city of its day (or regionalised, perhaps).
And the more globalised Rome got the more their empire fractured and then the city fell to a bunch of barbarians, lol

I'm a British citizen. I don't need to do anything. I'm making a very valid point about the insularity of many English people.
Yeah, a lot of people go around calling themselves British these says, I can tell you now if you went around with your attitude in a British pub you'd soon get your face smashed in.

This is not slating all English people, I love this country; I chose to make my life here. I was born a British citizen. The little England mindset is not England, it doesn't speak for England, and criticising it is not criticising England
Nah, its a bit late to backtrack now, you already revealed you have a hostile attitude towards the native English, really you're just a bit of a arrogant poncey Londoner, and if natives don't think much of the city it says more than you who tries to describe them all as ignorant. The Welsh, Irish, Manx and Scottish hate London more than the English so I don't know why you even call them little Englanders.
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pay attention, I already told you, I live in the countryside, I don't live in a city
And I asked where in the country.

Yeah, a lot of people go around calling themselves British these says
I don't have to call myself British, I am a British citizen

I can tell you now if you went around with your attitude in a British pub you'd soon get your face smashed in.
Aww, the little internet tough guy thinks I'm going to be scared by his laughable words. Mate, your bottom lip is quivering

I've spent a lot of time in pubs all over this country. No problems at all

really you're just a bit of a arrogant poncey Londoner
Really, you're just a poor (in both senses), butthurt little chav with a giant chip on his shoulder
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, a lot of people go around calling themselves British these says, I can tell you now if you went around with your attitude in a British pub you'd soon get your face smashed in.
I wonder if this conversation makes you anxious and upset because you're a foreigner with a kind of Uncle Tom mentality? It makes you angry when a real British person says the kinds of things that if you said would lead to you being shunned by your racist mates?
zigglr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dexa)
I visited southern portugal over the holidays and even though the country is not as developed as britain i noticed the people over there were very dignified and civilised. and i've noticed this in other european countries i've visited such as denmark, germany and italy.

ladies dress fashionably yet modestly, unlike here. they don't look like they've woken up and slapped on a massive amount of makeup while putting on a duckface. you won't see men wearing tracksuits and trainers, people actually look smart and put an effort in how they look.

Also there are no chavs to be seen anywhere. you don't get little nobheads going around in bikes, or a group of youths causing havoc in the town centre. the streets are impeccably clean, people value the ground they walk on and give it care.

i came back to the uk and felt sick at what i saw on my return. from the people to the state of the cities, and british culture in general, i long to finally emigrate from this place. and before someone criticises me for generalising, i do happen to look at this from a general point of view. generally british culture is a lot more awful and disgusting than the rest of europe.
It depends where you live in the UK.. I live in a wealthy town in the South and it is full of very posh people there are no chavs here, however I have also visited other places in the UK which have a lot of plebby people so it depends where you are, if you're wealthy you can live in a nice place in England without having to see any chavs
PurpleLamb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And I asked where in the country.
I live in the Midlands

I've spent a lot of time in pubs all over this country. No problems at all
lol, please don't lie, even on the internet its obvious. (Also, those fake smiles makes it really obvious you're butthurt)

Really, you're just a poor (in both senses), butthurt little chav with a giant chip on his shoulder
The difference is... thats not true, I'm not even English so your whole stereotype of me being some British chav goes down the drain, I'm sorry I shattered your worldview. In fact chavs don't even really exist much anymore, that whole subculture is dead. Have you been outside of London since 2005? You seem really sheltered and misinformed about life. I don't know how much money you have, but either way, if bragging about wealth is your big thing... well lol you're just feeding into that poncy sheltered Londoner thing.

I wonder if this conversation makes you anxious and upset because you're a foreigner with a kind of Uncle Tom mentality? It makes you angry when a real British person says the kinds of things that if you said would lead to you being shunned by your racist mates?
Talking about the 'Uncle Tom' mentality that way is pretty racist, its trying to shame and insult blacks for adopting white norms when their colour shouldn't make any difference, you sound more racist and xenophobic than any of my mates.
JamesParks
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because it's been largely Americanised. Everything British before that period is tops. Every after that dreck.
pinkteddyx64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why all the negative UK bashing? :cry:

Doesn't anybody have anything nice to say about our country in instead of the constant we are the worst off in Europe/the world propaganda?

spotify95 Your opinion on this thread?
ExcitedPup
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol, please don't lie, even on the internet its obvious. (Also, those fake smiles makes it really obvious you're butthurt)
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I guess you don't have anything except to throw my own words back at me.

Your internet tough guy act is a joke, it makes you sound like even more of an idiot than you already did. I've spent time in pubs and working-class hangouts all over the country, whether it's the white working class pub across the road from where I live, or the Alnwick WM, or a Leeds Wetherspoons.

I've also dined a few times in the Travellers Club and the Athenaeum, gone to black tie events in the Palace of Westminster and enjoyed the hospitality of the owner of Ministry of Sound.

The difference between you and me is that I've travelled all over this country, I've hung out with people of all different social classes, I appreciate what this country has to offer and I want to experience as much of it as I can. I love London, and I love the country. I love certain regional cities like Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol, and Scotland. I have friends in all those places and all these places have their worth.

You, on the other hand, are clearly a bitter little man living in a cultural black hole of your own making. The reason you hate London is that there is nothing here for you, and the reason for that is that you obviously have a very narrow social existence and a decidedly un-cultural disposition. It probably wouldn't be worth coming to London because you hate museums and art galleries, you obviously dislike the theatre, and you sneer at everything the city has to offer so no-one is likely to invite you to anything and you lack the social graces to find such things.

As to the whining over the Uncle Tom comment, get over it. Anyways, I'm going out in the West End tonight and I have to get ready You enjoy your evening on the internet, I'm sure it will be absolutely riveting
gordonbennetton
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

How can I be Xenophobic when I am a foreigner? I just see London for what it is, a globalised city for the businesses of the UK. It isn't an English city, hasn't been for a long time.
One guess. German, right?
Ashnard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zigglr)
It depends where you live in the UK.. I live in a wealthy town in the South and it is full of very posh people there are no chavs here, however I have also visited other places in the UK which have a lot of plebby people so it depends where you are, if you're wealthy you can live in a nice place in England without having to see any chavs
Genuinely didn't know that some people still speak/think like this. Sad to read these type of comments.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads