Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Ha, nope, he's a 4th year

Hmm I can sympathise with the lack of easy to find information! As an Oxford student, I can get a bit more than you would be able to find, but even that's no incredibly well presented.

The Physics FAQ has an entry about astro, which probably does indicate not nearly as much astro as you'd at Sheffield. Though, I bet Oxford packs a lot in to those small looking courses But yeah, probably a reasonable decision to go elsewhere
    Thanks, I either never found that page or looked so long ago I'd totally forgotten (very likely)!
    I just have to keep reminding myself that half of what I liked at Oxford was meeting other people, and there'll be great people at other unis too

ReputationRep:
    Weren't you the person that thought you weren't going to get in and you just tried to enjoy it while it lasted? Well.. look at you now
    Congrats!
    ps sorry people I really shouldn't be on here
    pss the plan is that i'll be able to post on here next year!

directed at 'simba' (I'm new on tsr)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Thanks, I either never found that page or looked so long ago I'd totally forgotten (very likely)!
    I just have to keep reminding myself that half of what I liked at Oxford was meeting other people, and there'll be great people at other unis too
    I think there's no denying that Oxford would be a socially different experience to other unis (probably in a good way ) As a somewhat silly example, I just went on unistats and compared the average UCAS points of Oxford and Sheffield Physics students. 82% of the Oxford students got 520+, whereas 10% of the Sheffield physicists did. I guess, broadly speaking, those at Sheffield will be similarish to the academically best people at your school, whereas at Oxford you'll find plenty of people who seem cleverer than you.

But yeah, you're probably right to say that you'd have an awesome experience at other unis

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for Maths at St Peter's! It's amazing, I only did half of the MAT and spent about 3 minutes in the interviews sitting and wondering whether or not -3 was an odd number but being too scared to ask, I guess they must have thought that I was thinking something cleverer, oh dear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Subject: Physics
    College: St Hugh's
    Outcome: Offer
    Conditions: A*AA, A* in any of maths, further maths or physics
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): letter
    How do you feel? surprised! and a little sad as I won't actually be accepting the offer

Optional extras:
    Name: Lauren
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Why ain't you accepting the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeensee)
    I'm not sure whether I will. Trying to decide between Oxford and Bath for Psychology.
    I also have offers from Oxford and Bath for psychology and the decider for me - apart from Oxford being Oxford of course - is that psychology is such a difficult field to find a job in (unless you're going for clinical, which is still competetive) and as good as Bath is, a degree from Oxford pretty much guarantees you a job purely due to its reputation. What is it that's making you consider Bath instead? If it's course content then I wouldn't worry; unless there's a specific area that you're interested in that isn't on the Oxford syllabus, there's a high chance that your interests will change when you study the topics at a higher level anyway.

I'm sorry to impose my opinion, I know you were simply answering a question rather than asking for advice, but I just think it'd be a real shame if in the future you regret not choosing Oxford after getting so close. Of course you'd still have an amazing time at Bath and for some people Bath would be a dream come true, so either way you've done really well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, congratulations on your offers!

German at LMH. I'm still speechless to be honest, I never thought in the slightest that this would be happening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radk)
    Weren't you the person that thought you weren't going to get in and you just tried to enjoy it while it lasted? Well.. look at you now
    Congrats!
    ps sorry people I really shouldn't be on here
    pss the plan is that i'll be able to post on here next year!

directed at 'simba' (I'm new on tsr)
    Hahaha indeed I am! I never expected to have a positive experience of the interviews, enjoy my time at oxford AND get an offer, I feel so lucky!
    Of 5 that I applied I'm the only person to get in from my sixth form and I most definitely wasn't the most intelligent so I do feel very lucky :-)

Thank you so much and good luck with your application, what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abigail255)
    I got an offer for Maths at St Peter's! It's amazing, I only did half of the MAT and spent about 3 minutes in the interviews sitting and wondering whether or not -3 was an odd number but being too scared to ask, I guess they must have thought that I was thinking something cleverer, oh dear!
    This is so me, I literally only answered 50% of the PAT and I doubt that entire 50% was correct 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    That's awesome! Thanks! Is there anywhere that beats Eton in terms of Oxford acceptances?
    Westminster I believe! About 50% of their school leavers head off to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    That's awesome! Thanks! Is there anywhere that beats Eton in terms of Oxford acceptances?
    (Original post by House MD)
    Westminster I believe! About 50% of their school leavers head off to Oxbridge.
    St Paul's Girl's perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    That'd be me! As much as I'd love to go to Oxford (I enjoyed myself a lot at St Hugh's for the interviews), I want to do more astrophysics in the course than I'd be able to at Oxford
    I'd make sure you fully do some research first I'm currently at oxford and thought about doing something similar but a lot of courses let you choose a lot of modules and with your third and fourth year research projects you essentially have free pick of the whole department and some other departments of your committed to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Uum.......I know its a strange question but still, can anyone tell me why magdalen is pronounced as mawd-lin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalliance)
    Subject: Psychology and philosophy [PPL]
    College: Christ Church
    Outcome: Offer
    Conditions: A*AA (any subjects)
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): email
    How do you feel?: Ah, don't judge me, but I felt a strong sense of mind-numbing (I don't know how else to describe it) existential dread. I feel like I didn't react at all, and I didn't work so well for this, and I am very lucky to get her
    e (it feels like a fluke). Basically a massive conflict of feeling and anticlimax; of course I am ecstatic to hear from Oxford but...somehow it does not seem real. And I mean that in the sense that it doesn't feel truly genuine, whatever genuine is- I feel lost.

Optional extras
    Name: Alan Hua Shen
    Country / hometown: London
    Wow, why am I not surprised you are going to study psychology and philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordNedStark)
    Uum.......I know its a strange question but still, can anyone tell me why magdalen is pronounced as mawd-lin?
    It looks like it was just the style of pronunciation at the time... In short: because it's old

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoollsss)
    Course: PPE
    College: Brasenose
    Outcome: Open offer!! (still not too sure how they work)
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel? UNBELIEVABLE

Congratulations on your offer! This means (if you accept it) that you have a guaranteed place at Oxford if you meet the conditions specified.

Each year a small number of candidates either fail to meet the conditions of their offer, withdraw for other reasons, or turn down offers. The vacancies arising are filled by candidates holding Open Offers. Every Open Offer is underwritten by a specific college, and in the event of a vacancy not arising a place will be made available at the underwriting college, which in your case is Brasenose.

Sometimes colleges are able to notify an open offer holder of their destination college in advance of August when conditional offers are confirmed. More usually students have to wait until A-level results
    are announced (even if their own qualifications are different). Brasenose should get in touch with you once things are clear.

ReputationRep:
    On the vagaries of the interview process:

Though there is quite a contrast between most subjects and the processes there are for Medicine (where interviews take place within a 26 hour period) and Engineering (where interviews take place within a day).
    I must confess to some sympathy with this view. If medicine/engineering can interview all applicants within 26 hours then why have other departments been unable to work out a similar kind of system, rather than having people hanging around for several school-days getting ever more nervous at an important stage of the academic year... It does seem that the ivory towers are blinkered to the realities of what the process is like for the applicants.

Edit: This is just intended as an observation, by the way, in my capacity as a parent of a (successful) applicant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi790)
    Ive got an offer from Hertford for Biochemistry, I'm from Caldicot!
    Welsh and a fellow UNIQ-er? Wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sukey111)
    It does seem that the ivory towers are blinkered to the realities of what the process is like for the applicants.
    I'm curious as to what others think about this - did you find the somewhat lengthy stay in Oxford stressful, or did you not particularly mind?

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious as to what others think about this - did you find the somewhat lengthy stay in Oxford stressful, or did you not particularly mind?
    Personally I enjoyed it. I am a EU student, so to fly to England only to stay a day only wouldn't have been too convenient. Three days gave me a feel of Oxford, left me time to get to know the other lovely applicants, to wander about the city. And when else am I going to get free food and accommodation in one of the prettiest cities in the UK?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.