Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If someone offered you a £250k or a first class Oxbridge degree? Watch

• View Poll Results: £250k or Oxbridge degree
    Money
    48.77%
    Degree
    37.52%
    Money - this is TSR, everyone already goes to Oxbridge?!
    13.71%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Oxbridge degree all the way given I would have the knowledge I would acquire doing the course. If not, 250k
    You also get the grey hairs and receding hair line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    But of course you'd donate it all to food banks, right?
    Not the investment. Some of the profits sure. All ethical businesses do some form of charity.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    Im so sorry to all the people who just got Oxbridge offers over the past few weeks
    Don't feel sorry. They're going to the best unis in the world and I'm sure they chose to do it.
    I smell Oxbridge reject biterness?
    Some people don't just study for the money. Some people are genuinely passionate about attending the very tops institutions and learning about the field they love.

ReputationRep:
    250K, duh.

But of course you'd donate it all to food banks, right?
    As long as he pays tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Not the investment. Some of the profits sure. All ethical businesses do some form of charity.
    You've changed your tune :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Don't feel sorry. They're going to the best unis in the world and I'm sure they chose to do it.
    I smell Oxbridge reject biterness?
    Some people don't just study for the money. Some people are genuinely passionate about attending the very tops institutions and learning about the field they love.
    I know that! I have a first from Oxbridge, but I just didn't want offer holders to think this thread has any meaning.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I know that! I have a first from Cambridge, but I just didn't want offer holders to think this thread has any meaning.
    In that case, I apologise. I have come across as rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Unless you already own a house outright, this makes less sense than just buying a property for yourself.
    With £250k you could buy two properties in Glasgow or Manchester. One for yourself and one to let to student housesharers. Make £25k p/y easy and remove costs of renting.

ReputationRep:
    You've changed your tune :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    So where is this 250k? I plan to sell you lots of legitimate stocks ^^^ SIGH.

ReputationRep:
    250k. I already have a 2.1 from Oxbridge, and I think the 250k would be more advantageous to my life than "upgrading" my degree to a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    I chose money, because the degree would mean sod all if I didn't understand the subject or had no experience purely because I was just given a piece of paper. Sure I might get a job with it, but I'd likely be fired for not knowing what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I chose money, because the degree would mean sod all if I didn't understand the subject or had no experience purely because I was just given a piece of paper. Sure I might get a job with it, but I'd likely be fired for not knowing what to do.
    Actually you'll be surprised to learn that most people can sit behind a desk in London wearing an expensive suit and mess around on excel for 18 hours per day!

ReputationRep:
    Actually you'll be surprised to learn that most people can sit behind a desk in London wearing an expensive suit and mess around on excel for 18 hours per day!
    Guess it completely depends on what Oxbridge degree you were given, but then I'd hate to sit on my arse all day staring at excel would drive me insane. Would 100% prefer a lower paid job and be happy in it.

ReputationRep:
    The money. My dad got a scholarship for oxford and is a primary example showing that no matter how hard you work and what university you go to it definitely doesn't guarantee a high paying job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntisthenesDogger)
    Seemingly its stopped you being able to correctly produce an ellipses though. Three fullstops, no more or less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    With £250k you could buy two properties in Glasgow or Manchester. One for yourself and one to let to student housesharers. Make £25k p/y easy and remove costs of renting.
    I dunno about glasgow but in Manchester you'd only just about get a decent two bed for 125k. Wouldnt make you lpads renting to students. I suppose you could always go bigger and get a mortgage though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the degree. It's a lot more meaningful and respected than having £250k.

The degree will last forever and people will recognise your hard work and achievements, the money won't last forever. You can always just get a job and lead up to that salary or make it within 5 years time depending on the job you have (your employability would probably be high considering you have a degree from Oxford/Cambridge).

ReputationRep:
    I already have a first from a very good uni, so i'd take the money and invest it. I wouldn't want to be given a degree I didn't work for anyway, then there's no pride in having it. But money is money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socially inept)
    I'd take the degree. It's a lot more meaningful and respected than having £250k.

The degree will last forever and people will recognise your hard work and achievements, the money won't last forever. You can always just get a job and lead up to that salary or make it within 5 years time depending on the job you have (your employability would probably be high considering you have a degree from Oxford/Cambridge).
    But you didn't work for it or achieve anything, you were just given a piece of paper.

People seems rather keen on answering different questions to the one OP asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    But you didn't work for it or achieve anything, you were just given a piece of paper.

People seems rather keen on answering different questions to the one OP asked.
    I bet there's a massive age gap with responses too. All the younger people are really naive and thing a peice of paper from Oxbridge means you can easily work your way up to a 250k salary XD

All the older people are coming to terms with the reality that they won't be able to afford a house til their 40s and are like **** it! I want a house!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.