The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

I have a place to study history at Sheffield and i'm wondering if its possible to switch to history and politics?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
hey there ive just been confirmed by sheffield to study law which i am so happy about! however as it was my insurance, i havent applied for accomodation, should i do this now or wait for the universirty to get in contact with me regarding next steps?
Original post by Violet97
I have a place to study history at Sheffield and i'm wondering if its possible to switch to history and politics?

You need to telephone the History department ASAP, and ask to speak to the course leader/Dean of Admissions. Explain the situation and why you want to make the change. It's not guaranteed they can do anything, but you will maximise your chances if you do this early. It may be the case that History with Politics is in Clearing (as there are places), so you would take one of those places, and they would put your History place into Clearing to fill it. However, as Clearing continues, these places will fill up.

Congratulations on your results, Violet.

I think your best bet would be to contact the clearing helpline (01142228015) to talk to one of our advisors. They'd be able to check for you and talk you through it.

When you call the helpline there are a couple things you'll need:
- UCAS ID
- A-Level results
- GCSE grades

All the best,
Kyle
Original post by neal95
hey there ive just been confirmed by sheffield to study law which i am so happy about! however as it was my insurance, i havent applied for accomodation, should i do this now or wait for the universirty to get in contact with me regarding next steps?

Congratulations! You need to do this ASAP - and you need to 'start the process' of applying for accommodation, rather than waiting for them to contact you. Insurance offer holders are guaranteed accommodation, but the sooner you get an application in, the better chance you have of getting the accommodation that you want (i.e. do it now). Hope this helps!
Hi guys!

Well done to you all for getting your results today, I hope you're pleased with them.

My name's Imogen and I've just finished my second year studying Economics. I'm another student at The University of Sheffield who will be answering your queries today, so feel free to ask away.
Original post by neal95

Congratulations Neal.

Just as Sheffunistudent has said, you would be better off applying sooner rather than later. This means that your application can be processed faster. You should usually receive confirmation by late august or early September.

I hope you have a great time studying here,
Kyle

Update: Here is the link to apply for accommodation online.
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/apply
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sheffunistudent
Congratulations! You need to do this ASAP - and you need to 'start the process' of applying for accommodation, rather than waiting for them to contact you. Insurance offer holders are guaranteed accommodation, but the sooner you get an application in, the better chance you have of getting the accommodation that you want (i.e. do it now). Hope this helps!

many thanks!
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Congratulations on your results, Violet.

I think your best bet would be to contact the clearing helpline (01142228015) to talk to one of our advisors. They'd be able to check for you and talk you through it.

When you call the helpline there are a couple things you'll need:
- UCAS ID
- A-Level results
- GCSE grades

All the best,
Kyle

I couldn't get through when I rang so i've sent an email, will this be okay?

I'd keep trying to Clearing telephone number - not sure if you can do Clearing via email. Persevere and I'm sur you'll get through (obviously it is a very busy time for them). Good luck!

Thanks for trying Violet,

I've asked about the phone line, and there aren't any technical problems we know of. There is a high volume of people calling, and the phone lines are quite busy. At the minute we've been told there's a ten minute wait.

Another alternative would be to try our online clearing service at www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing

Just click 'apply now' and scroll through the list of available courses, select the one you want and fill out the form. We will then call you to confirm. As a word of advice, if a course does not appear in this list there is a chance that it is fully subscribed this year.

I hope this helps,
Kyle
Hi, I was wondering whether you get any email from the university after your track updated? It's been over a week now that I had my offer confirmed and I wasn't contacted by anyone. Should I write and inquire about it or is it perfectly normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serafina,

Thanks for your query,

All students who have firm status are scheduled to receive an email from the university this evening with information about what to do next. However, if you don't receive this email by tomorrow we would ask you to send us a private message via thestudentroom so that we can follow it up internally and sort that out for you.

I hope this was helpful,
Kyle
Hi,

I am Wondering if I could still study BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering with an ACC (Grade A being in Maths) even through the requirements were ABB. I narrowly missed out on the grades in Physics and Chemistry. I have already been declined from my offer but wondering if I could be reconsidered.

Thanks Andrew
Original post by bluefox17
Hi,

I am Wondering if I could still study BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering with an ACC (Grade A being in Maths) even through the requirements were ABB. I narrowly missed out on the grades in Physics and Chemistry. I have already been declined from my offer but wondering if I could be reconsidered.

Thanks Andrew

Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you wanted, but well done on your results nonetheless.

In your case I would recommend calling our clearing hotline and speaking to our team. They have the information on hand, and would be able to tell you. The number is 0114 222 8015, and you will need your UCAS ID, A-level results and your GCSE results to hand.

Additionally, if you look at our clearing website (www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing) and click 'apply now' you will be able to see a list of the courses that have not been filled.

All the best,
Kyle
I'm sooo happy got into Aerospace Engineering. A*-Maths A-Further Maths B-Physics, however I have decided i want to take a gap year and I tried to contact the department but no ones picking up should i just send out an email or wait?
Original post by aero-1997
I'm sooo happy got into Aerospace Engineering. A*-Maths A-Further Maths B-Physics, however I have decided i want to take a gap year and I tried to contact the department but no ones picking up should i just send out an email or wait?

Aero.

Congratulations on your results!

You will need to contact the clearing helpline so that the university can defer your place until next year. The number is 0114 222 8015, and you'll probably need your UCAS ID and a few other details to hand.

Congratulations once again, and I hope you enjoy your gap year,
Kyle
(edited 8 years ago)
In case anyone else has questions about accommodation, there is a Facebook group which has been set up to help people find that information. The URL is https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniversityofSheffieldaccommodation/

If you want to find who will be in your accommodation block, you should visit http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/social to find out. Rooms will start to be allocated late on Friday afternoon.

All the best,
Kyle
(edited 8 years ago)
hi! I'm an international student and I did meet my offer a while ago, I called Admissions last Friday and they told me they would update my Track status today but there haven't been any changes. I'm worried I'll miss accommodation placement or any new information about what to do next and I don't know if I should call the University or wait??
Reply 219
Hi, I made a clearing application through the clearing hotline early today and was told that my application would be sent to admissions for consideration. However I have not received any calls or emails to tell me if I can be accepted or not today. Is this normal, would I expect contact tomorrow? Sorry I'm just a bit anxious because I would really like to attend Sheffield!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending