Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently had a guy maybe in his 40s tell me to smile, when I asked him why I needed to smile and went on a little tangent about how women didn't have to smile we could look serious, he got all "ooo you're feminist?!"
    It's also annoying when someone says something to me and I ignore them and then I'm apparently "stuck up" etc
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It depends how it's said, if it's said sweetly it doesn't bother me, but if it's said in a patronising way I usually give them the finger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    I tell girls to 'cheer up' all the time. :confused: Sometimes I go out and get on buses and trains and go into cafes with the sole intention of finding girls who look a bit sad and I cup their cheeks in my hands and softly say 'gurl, cheer up. You'd look so much prettier if you'd just smile.'

They really seem to appreciate it.
    HAHA I'd be so creeped out if someone did that to me.
    Andd that probably qualifies as sexual harassment. I'm assuming you don't do the same to men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D_ecrivaine)
    HAHA I'd be so creeped out if someone did that to me.
    Andd that probably qualifies as sexual harassment. I'm assuming you don't do the same to men?
    You sound like you need cheering up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    No I didn't say that but oh well, jump to ridiculous conclusions if you must. There is no basically about it. You made it basically just to justify your irrational logic.

Yes, I didn't say this either. Learn to read the whole text before jumping to idiotic conclusions.

YES I ALSO SAID THIS. WHAT PART OF CONTEXT ARE YOU TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND?

And here is the retarded logic people - this person has, thanks to their victim complex, made a stupid jump from 'cheer up love' to suddenly them being a potential rapist. Well done for being absolutely moronic.
    I can't even be bothered to reply to this lol, there's no need to get so angry. For someone who spouted all the stuff about "us optimistic and positive folk" you seem kind of agitated?

Just because I repeat a point you made doesn't mean I've failed to understand it so how about you stop jumping to conclusions too, eh? I was trying to type on my phone using the app earlier, I could not be bothered to keep scrolling through your comment so sorry if it's repetitive.

As for this being about having a victim complex, I disagree it's something very real that is drilled into us constantly. Just a few months ago my university sent out around six e-mails regarding female safety whilst being alone in campus. Throughout my time at school our parents would always get letters and we would get given assemblies about safety. In the past few years there have been plenty of attempted female abductions near the secondary school I attended, no males, only females.

I can't be bothered to even talk about this anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I can't even be bothered to reply to this lol, there's no need to get so angry. For someone who spouted all the stuff about "us optimistic and positive folk" you seem kind of agitated?
    And you worked this all out online did you master of psychology? Leave your net nanny to other websites please. I'm cool.

As for this being about having a victim complex, I disagree it's something very real that is drilled into us constantly. Just a few months ago my university sent out around six e-mails regarding female safety whilst being alone in campus. Throughout my time at school our parents would always get letters and we would get given assemblies about safety. In the past few years there have been plenty of attempted female abductions near the secondary school I attended, no males, only females.
    That isn't the norm for the entire of the UK though. Learn to accept that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Loafing.Charizard)
    Some lady asked if I was okay because when I walk I seem miserable as **** apparently. Exactly, I'm I suppose to walk everyone with a cheeky smile on my face like a madman?
    Not really, but I do like to walk through the streets with a "Yeeaahhhh, I'm me and I'm lovin' it" vibe going on. Feels good man

ReputationRep:
    What? People talk to you on the street?

Id be lucky if I get a smile from someone, you know you're walking down the street and someone is walking towards you. I smile at them, maybe even say good morning and.....

NOTHING.

Miserable gits!

ReputationRep:
    There are worse things someone could say... Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    And you worked this all out online did you master of psychology? Leave your net nanny to other websites please. I'm cool.

That isn't the norm for the entire of the UK though. Learn to accept that.
    I know it's not the norm and I'm glad of that. As for "Leave your net nanny to other websites please" - I don't have a clue what that means lol.

ReputationRep:
    Why so narked?

Cheer up luv :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Its happened to me before and I met my first girlfriend through something pretty similar. I was at the gym and I overdid it obviously being a 16 year old n00b showing off as you do and obviously she could see I was in some discomfort so come over and said 'smile, could be worse, could have put your back out' and she was right. There I was being a melodramatic teenager about my arm and her comment instantly changed my mood because she gave me some perspective. After that we got talking more and stuff and to cut a long story short we started dating and eventually ended up together.

If its an obviously rude comment like 'cheer up love' then yeah, feel like its done to get under your skin or whatever but it isn't always done for that reason. To assume everyone is doing it for the same reason is just idiotic. Every individual case depends on the context.

You are wasting your time. You're talking to a forum of people that think everything results in sexism, Islamic extremism, rape culture, Islamaphobia or whatever latest ****ing buzzword the privileged spoilt middle class have recently come up with - basically, on this forum there's an ism, phobia or culture justification for bloody everything a person does. Sometimes its bash Islam week, other times its bash feminism week, then its bash men week and call them all potential rapists for possessing a penis, oh lets attack the gay people week as well, cant forget that one etc. - some weeks we get all of them as well. How lucky are we?

:rolleyes:

Its not. Some people need to withdraw their head from their backsides and stop thinking everything is done to spite them.

This isn't true. It happens to men as well but the difference is we don't suffer from a victim complex and don't assume every woman out there that says it is suddenly going to pounce on us and ride us into oblivion against our own will. You're assuming all men are like this and act in a predatory manner due to the actions of a minority of men.

Yes, of course, we think you're property. Thats why, thanks to the wonderful politicians in Westminster, most of whom happen to be male, we can now due to recently passed legislation purchase women on Rightmove. If you haven't seen the section labelled 'Women' next to 'New Homes' yet thats because it doesn't exist and you're just exaggerating things due to suffering from a victim complex.

Most women smile and then chat to you for a while but then again most women don't buy into all this 'oh who gives you the right to that?' drama queen **** and actually just enjoy their lives and get on with things because they're not privileged middle class *****.

So true.

Happens all the time to men. You just don't see it because you don't choose to pinpoint or highlight it. Had my bum grabbed numerous times on nights out. Have been talking to women in seating areas of clubs for them to go and start rubbing the inside of my thigh without me asking them to do so as well. Pretend it doesn't happen all you like but it does often. Most men just choose not to make a fuss about it as do most women actually. The moaning brigade are a minority thankfully and usually stick to forums like this or have a sulk on Tumblr about how they've been cheated on by a guy with a history of cheating and now all men are suddenly evil rape culture endorsing neanderthals who cant be trusted because she decided to get with a known cheat.

Britain's blame culture and self entitlement is astonishing.
    Fair enough with my comment, guess not everyone has the ability to not be melodramatic and put stuff into perspective. I'm talking about when it's *****y resting face syndrome it's no big deal, sometimes you get guys who are like 'you've had a ****ty day but I don't care you don't look hot when you frown so ****ing smile *****' which is actually objectification.

Also this site does have a problem with bash feminism/bash men back/bash Islam because every Muslim is ISIS-I have never seen bash gay people. Welcome to The Student Room

Finally I was with you on everything until 'we think you're property'. First I thought you were genuine, then realised you were sarcastic, then disagreed anyway because some men do act that way, objectification is an issue, however it's exaggerated and stop ****ing blaming ALL men for it feminists, muh generalisations are hurting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    On the other hand one time I thought of something funny as I walked and didn't realise I was smiling, and this guy said rather aggressively, "What are you grinning at?" I don't understand why these people think they have the right to intimidate others.
    Should have said your ugly face :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Not really, but I do like to walk through the streets with a "Yeeaahhhh, I'm me and I'm lovin' it" vibe going on. Feels good man
    Haha perfect!

ReputationRep:
    i'm a man and i realize how women see this behaviour as creepy and off putting. they wouldn't say it to other men. they are only doing it because they are women. other men have no idea how uncomfortable some men can make women feel.

ReputationRep:
    An Italian waiter told me to smile once, I had been on my feet for 12 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    You sound like you need cheering up.
    Lol admittedly I've been a bit anti-men recently, but I think regardless I'd consider walloping you if you did that.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody said anything about rape and making a fuss about such a thing. Again, learn to read and grow up. What was said was that touching in clubs happens both ways frequently which is true and yet men don't make a fuss about it. Having your bum or leg felt in a club isn't rape. Stop making that ridiculous logical jump FFS. Its rather tiresome.
    You made the jump. If you had actually read the post I referred you to, you would know that I was talking about rape because there is always the threat of it - the point was that men are more of a threat to women, than women are to men, in a physical sense. Hence why men groping women is a different experience to women groping men. Keep up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    I personally think it's a nice thing for somebody to say :s
    Yeah, but there's a difference between a friend or relative saying it kindly when you're having a hard time, and some random middle-aged builder yelling it at you from across the street.

ReputationRep:
    I get it all the time!, hey it's not my Fault I have resting ***** face as I like to call it haha

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.