Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain something to me, because I don't understand.

(One of) the arguments countering people who don't like breastfeeding in public is that women's breasts aren't sexual objects. They're mammary glands, they're designed to produce milk to feed babies and any sexual connotations are secondary. Which I agree with, I think.

But the same people who argue that women's and men's breasts are basically the same thing are the ones who get het up over female topless models, page 3 and the like, saying it's objectification and demeaning, yet never say a word about male models posing topless.

Seems like a logical failure, and I wondered if someone could explain their reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I'd never get to date a woman as pretty or intelligent as a page three girl, and this hurts my self esteem as a man ;-(
    What on earth does this have to do with anything?
    Oh and the Sun hasn't really gotten rid of Page 3- they're waiting to see if sales drop. If they do, then we'll have random, totally unnecessary naked women in newspapers again.
    'Yay!'

It's weird how men don't seem to find it all that insulting that editors think that they have to have topless pictures in their papers for men to want to read them. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAthena)
    What on earth does this have to do with anything?
    Oh and the Sun hasn't really gotten rid of Page 3- they're waiting to see if sales drop. If they do, then we'll have random, totally unnecessary naked women in newspapers again.
    'Yay!'

It's weird how men don't seem to find it all that insulting that editors think that they have to have topless pictures in their papers for men to want to read them. :confused:
    I was explain why its right for them to stop publishing it.

Surely that would demonstrate page 3 is necessary?

Why would a Times reader like myself be insulted that the editor of the Sun thinks they'd need to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanicus)
    If you care about the soon-to-be lack of nipples in a newspaper... you're clearly have no internet connection
    You're about 190 posts too late...

ReputationRep:
    I never understood the campaign. It's not like we are forced to buy the sun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You're about 190 posts too late...
    Tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanicus)
    Tl;dr
    Only needed to have got as far as post #4 :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    What's the point? Was there really a load of people who want to read the Sun and not see breasts?

I love how people call it sexist but will continue to show topless male models in all sorts of magazines anyway.
    Topless men and women are not the same? If a woman goes topless, creepy men **** over it. If a man goes topless, he's just topless. Breasts are seen as sexual objects(even though they're not!), so only if society sees breasts and man chests the same should they be treated the same. I'm not saying that it's right for breasts to be so taboo and forbidden and attractive, I'm saying that it is a thing that needs to be considered.

ReputationRep:
    I like big bootie and there's plenty of it on music channels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    The sun must have something else up their sleeve, they are aware that most of their readership is due to the breasts right?
    Murdoch- the slimy git- said that if readership goes down significantly then they will re introduce page 3, in the meantime they are showing clothed girls. Also page 3 still exists online.
    Its funny how the only reason people buy The Sun is to look at boobs, just goes to show how utterly worthless the paper is in terms of news and credibility and the utter stupidity of the readership.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, they're bringing it back!

https://twitter.com/TheSunNewspaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Funnily enough I used to work for 5 years for one of the biggest advertising and marketing companies in the UK and US. So yes, I have, and all of the marketing department senior management were female without any 'laddish' culture.
    You've got her there :aetsch::aetsch::adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)

Well played.

ReputationRep:

Egg on face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Watch the Sun's readership basically collapse overnight because of this.
    Readership? Everyone knows they only look at the pictures.

(Original post by Jgco2chem)
    I like big bootie and there's plenty of it on music channels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)

Aha, I hoped it would be a troll. This is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Love the way feminists can pick this to fight over. How about the fact that 97% of workplace deaths are men, where is your protest for "equality"?
    over 95% of deaths in war are men, how about you go out and make sure women sign up for the army to support us men. I'm sure you'd have more than enough to talk about if the genders were reversed.
    How about breast cancer receiving much larger amounts in funding than prostate cancer, despite averaging 800 more deaths last year. 11600 to 10800 prostate cancer deaths.
    Breast cancer receives over double the funding

ReputationRep:
    So that kind of lasted like two days **** newspaper can't even stand their ground.

ReputationRep:
    Oh boohoo. How about get yourselves a woman and look at her body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    So that kind of lasted like two days **** newspaper can't even stand their ground.
    Stand their ground with what? Some days there will be boobs, other days there won't be. This is such a non - issue.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.