Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfSheba)
    Tell that to Beyonce, Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg, Michael Jordan and all other people who make a living doing things they enjoy. Guess they live on a different planet.
    They all leave the house to do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    They all leave the house to do it...
    My post was in favour of entrepreneurship and doing what you enjoy, not remaining behind closed doors. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not an implied thing, nor do the same things apply, because cities like Dubai are actually economically thriving. Another example is Qatar which is actually (one of) the richest countries in the world. Also a very good standard of living over there. So no, the same things don't apply.
    Um, you do realise Dubai is supported by massive exploitation of poor workers who live in a slum colony outside the city? They were tempted over with the promise of work, then had their passports removed and barely earn enough to survive, never mind travel back home (not that they could anyway without their passports).

Expats who lost their jobs in Dubai in the recession often went to prison due to their debts, while others became homeless.

It is a truly barbaric place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Um, you do realise Dubai is supported by massive exploitation of poor workers who live in a slum colony outside the city? They were tempted over with the promise of work, then had their passports removed and barely earn enough to survive, never mind travel back home (not that they could anyway without their passports).

Expats who lost their jobs in Dubai in the recession often went to prison due to their debts, while others became homeless.

I didn't know this. If it's true then that's a terrible thing, indeed. Do you have a source so I can read up on this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know this. If it's true then that's a terrible thing, indeed. Do you have a source so I can read up on this?

Thanks
    Sure thing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...i-1664368.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7985361.stm

^ Particularly interesting to read the comments from the UAE citizens at the bottom.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...s-crumbling/1/ - this cites some of the same info as the Independent article, but mentions some additional issues.

Oh, and by the way - no sex before marriage:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...th-says-Briton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)

Worst country on earth, aesthetically too. Always used to piss me off to see Facebook photos of spoiled rich kids tanning and partying there on daddy's wallet while virtually everyone around them was in need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Worst country on earth, aesthetically too. Always used to piss me off to see Facebook photos of spoiled rich kids tanning and partying there on daddy's wallet while virtually everyone around them was in need.
    I met a girl from Dubai at university - one of the most frivolous, vacuous people I've ever come across.

ReputationRep:
    Bringing up children is easy. I tell you what's hard - cats. Cats are hard. Little *******s.

Um...

Go ahead and do whatever you feel. I think the vague notion that at age 30 you'll have enough made to quit your job and start your own business and also be in a relationship where you're ready to or want to have children is a little naive. You're 22 now. When I was 22, I had no idea I'd be where I am today (at 27). That's how quickly things can change.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i really don't want to work either, or have kids for that matter... dunno what i'm gonna do.....I'll win the lottery :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingoftheting)
    Bringing up children is easy. I tell you what's hard - cats. Cats are hard. Little *******s.

Um...

Go ahead and do whatever you feel. I think the vague notion that at age 30 you'll have enough made to quit your job and start your own business and also be in a relationship where you're ready to or want to have children is a little naive. You're 22 now. When I was 22, I had no idea I'd be where I am today (at 27). That's how quickly things can change.
    It really depends on the person and what business it is. Just because you developed one way doesn't mean that bears any relation to someone else's life.

Too many people are going out of their way to discourage the OP and those that share her ambitions because they feel it's something they're not able to do if we're all being truthful. She knows what she wants at least which is more than can be said of a lot of people her age.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are a lot of assumptions that running your own business is easier than being employed.

It might provide you will the flexibility to work around your family, because your not contracted to fixed hours, but for most small businesses, for every hour you earn something there's probably an additional 2-3 hours spent either creating that opportunity or putting the process/admin around it to earn it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want a career, however, I do agree that some feminists seem to look down on women who want to take a more traditional approach to life; housewife, raise children, possibly have a part-time job or work from home running a small business etc.

(There was me thinking the whole point of feminism was that they wanted equality for women and for women to be 'accepted'. Clearly this only applies if you conform to their feminist values, otherwise they seem to think you're scum)

However, I have full intentions of starting a family, and raising them in a more traditional way. I have absolutely no intention of becoming a career obsessed woman who puts off having children until I'm about 40 because I'm waiting for some big promotion or to reach the top of my career game.

I would also like to stay at home and raise my children until they start nursery or school and then go back to work. (obviously this is finances permitting). I personally don't like the idea of putting a child in a daycare facility 5 or 6 days a week from 3 months old just because I'm so concerned about my job and "oh, I won't become a manager of a big company if I stay at home and look after my own child!".

I do think some women are pressured into having children because it still appears to be "strange" or "unacceptable" for women to say they don't want children, however, I personally don't think it's fair on the child if they are constantly left in daycare facilities, after school clubs, with babysitters or put in summer camps and holiday clubs because their parents have no time to take care of them.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I am a feminist, and by no means do I look down upon any woman who would prefer a family life as opposed to a career, I support them because it is their choice and to be honest anyone who says there is anything wrong with being a housewife is not really a feminist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.