The Student Room Group

I'm a British Pakistani, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by cake_lover
My mum is a bit fair bit, but still watches her bollywood films and what not. My dad isn't too religious tbh

Lol. So you haven't been on the receiving end of the chithrol and thappars for missing namaz at a young age?

Oh wow. He's one brave child. I didn't even knew about him. Thanks for sharing.
It's best to just tolerate them, never good being an angry person!

Fair enough that's your way to stay concentrated, I just try to visualise the Kaaba and try to keep mind on the namaz.

Lol I agree. Most of these intolerant people are so ignorant, so no point arguing.

Oh I never thought of visualising the Kaba. I think if one really understand what the Arabic words mean during your prayers, you'd be able to focus better. For example, its easier for me to recite Surah Fatiha with full concentration because I know its exact meaning.
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Lol I agree. Most of these intolerant people are so ignorant, so no point arguing.

Oh I never thought of visualising the Kaba. I think if one really understand what the Arabic words mean during your prayers, you'd be able to focus better. For example, its easier for me to recite Surah Fatiha with full concentration because I know its exact meaning.

Completely agree with you, reciting with meaning is so much more fulfilling too. Do you ever feel a disconnect where you're not motivated to pray etc? And if so, how do you overcome it?
Actually, the Arabic in the Qur'an is so fluent, that it can't be 100% translated. It's the purest form of Arabic you can get.
Original post by Beanster
Haha it's just my strange family then but I feel the meaning actually resonates with a lot of British Muslims. My American cousins (who sometimes refer to themselves as ABCD) are closer to the Pakistani culture than I think British Pakistani's are. It's a lot more close knit but also quite segregated

It is a very isolated situation being British Pakistani, no matter what you are still seen as "different" by Brits, but people in Pakistan also seem to treat you differently from others (I just get this feeling, not sure what it is).
Yes I am! Is Lahore mostly full of Arain? :s-smilie: I thought we wearn't that large in number :tongue:

A fellow Arain!! I'm third generation British-Pakistani and never been to Pakistan so my knowledge of the place or my ancestry is a bit thin. What's your take on Arain origins - are we Arabs, Persians, Turks?
Original post by Logolept
Why are British Pakistanis so different to just plain ol' Pakistanis? Why are you guys so conformant to the stereotypes that are set to you? SMH and KMT!

Growing up in a different country I guess affects that.

What stereotypes? I don't know the answer to that as I dont act like a stereotypical "rude boy" found in Bradford.
Reply 208
Original post by TheMouseyS
A fellow Arain!! I'm third generation British-Pakistani and never been to Pakistan so my knowledge of the place or my ancestry is a bit thin. What's your take on Arain origins - are we Arabs, Persians, Turks?

Very common advice in Pakistan: Arain da wassan na khain.
Translates approximately to: never trust arains. :smile:
Original post by PPF
Lol. So you haven't been on the receiving end of the chithrol and thappars for missing namaz at a young age?

Had the odd lecture and whatnot, but I guess as my dad rarely prays I never really got that. Except from Grandma, oh man...

Perhaps Arab or Persian origin, from a long ass time ago. We have cleary mixed with the local population over the centuries, so just be a proud Punjabi! (Or wherever you're from, there's some Sindhi Arains)
Original post by PPF

Aww, I think I'm quite trustworthy :frown:
Perhaps Arab or Persian origin, from a long ass time ago. We have cleary mixed with the local population over the centuries, so just be a proud Punjabi! (Or wherever you're from, there's some Sindhi Arains)

Awesome! Tbh I bet most Pakistanis are mix of all those which is why Pakistan's such an interesting and varied place (far more than the media gives it credit for). I have the impression that Arains are quite rare, is that true?
Awesome! Tbh I bet most Pakistanis are mix of all those which is why Pakistan's such an interesting and varied place (far more than the media gives it credit for). I have the impression that Arains are quite rare, is that true?

That region has been ruled by Arabs, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and even Alexandria the Great at one point (some parts at least, even certain cities I believe were found by him!). We have such a diverse history. Pakistan, India and South Asian in general is such an amazing and historic place. :smile:

Unfortunately the school system in Pakistan mostly just focus on the Muslims elements to encourage patriotism :/
Original post by Beanster
Completely agree with you, reciting with meaning is so much more fulfilling too. Do you ever feel a disconnect where you're not motivated to pray etc? And if so, how do you overcome it?

I don't understand what exactly you mean by disconnect? As in like disconnected to Allah? I always get late for Isha and Maghrib which is bad and that's why my main priority is to actually offer them on time. What I do is that I keep doing the Tasbih and astigfhaar. This helps me to not to delay my namaz. Plus, I guess now I'm so used to it that I'd rather just get up and pray on time than sitting there and feeling bad afterwards.

What I'm trying to do these days is to offer Tahhajjud prayers once a week cos it works wonders! Believe me !
That region has been ruled by Arabs, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and even Alexandria the Great at one point (some parts at least, even certain cities I believe were found by him!). We have such a diverse history. Pakistan, India and South Asian in general is such an amazing and historic place. :smile:

Unfortunately the school system in Pakistan mostly just focus on the Muslims elements to encourage patriotism :/

So true! The average man on the street wouldn't (but should) know that the region that is now Pakistan is the literal cradle of civilisation. The first civilisation known to man (Indus Valley civilisation) was founded there and one of the world's earliest cities, Mohenjo-Daro, can still be visited to this day. 2600BC! That's ancient by ancient Greek standards, and if that doesn't make Pakistan a country worth visiting, I don't know what would!

It's sad that many Pakistanis (mainly British-Pakistanis) don't know or appreciate what amazing heritage they have. I'd say we have the richest history you could wish for :smile:
Original post by PPF

Haye Allah! Y u saying that? :frown:

Listen I'm a Arian and I'm the most trustworthy person one can ever meet!
Reply 217
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Haye Allah! Y u saying that? :frown:

Listen I'm a Arian and I'm the most trustworthy person one can ever meet!

Hahahahaha.. Im not sure. Its just the conventional wisdom there. I dont know if it applies to British Pakistanis though.
Reply 218
By the way are there any university students here?
How do you deal with no access to Pakistani food?

Sookha Peekha khana kha kha kar takh gaya hoon yaar.
Original post by PPF
Hahahahaha.. Im not sure. Its just the conventional wisdom there. I dont know if it applies to British Pakistanis though.

I don't know but I heard that Arians are seen as 'Arian gande khayain' meaning 'Arian eats onions a lot'. Not the trustworthy thing. We are so shareef log!

Quick Reply

Latest