Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liaamm)
    I do have essay structures for all possible questions,but it's hard to identity which one to use 🙊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omg would you mind sending these 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First question you can choose between two questions -either language change or variation (it will be up to you) second question, I think lang change and variation are combined. It's one compulsory question , and it could be on PC, Lang and gender, variation or change etc

ReputationRep:
    just to let any year 13s know, stressing about this paper-

I literally revised the night before, no more at all, crammed the theorys etc, felt totally unprepared, and got an A*

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh i'm so glad i looked for this thread...i have just realised how unprepared i am. I was hoping to get an A on this exam, but that isn't going to happen. There are two classes at my school doing language and we've been told different things about how we should structure the answer and we have nowhere near enough theorists. I am screwed

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=beautgoddess;64165427]Omg would you mind sending these 😫

Yeah please send! Anyone who knows a clear structure for the A2 english paper. Wonder if theres any predictions for the second questiom of the a2 paper. Im doing AQA english langauge A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiderslashes)
    Oh gosh i'm so glad i looked for this thread...i have just realised how unprepared i am. I was hoping to get an A on this exam, but that isn't going to happen. There are two classes at my school doing language and we've been told different things about how we should structure the answer and we have nowhere near enough theorists. I am screwed
    What board are you doing? Im doing AQA Eng lang A. If your'e doing that or eng lang B, then this is a helpful account
    http://www.bethkemp.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)

I literally revised the night before, no more at all, crammed the theorys etc, felt totally unprepared, and got an A*
    Congrats! What is the main advice you give us students who will take it in June?? Any help would be much appreciated!! Whats the best way to go about structuring the questions did you find? I'm aiming to go for the Lang Change part for question 1- any advice for that? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zay SM)
    Congrats! What is the main advice you give us students who will take it in June?? Any help would be much appreciated!! Whats the best way to go about structuring the questions did you find? I'm aiming to go for the Lang Change part for question 1- any advice for that? Thanks
    okay so main advice if i can remember:

-KILL A01. if your going to revise anything in detail make it all your clause names, names of different types of words and phrases, language devices etc. know them ALL. This is by far the easiest way to pick up marks and you can pick up A LOT with it, and all your doing is labelling. Even if your just calling the word 'the' a pronoun. Key is variety here too, try to include as many different examples as you can.

I would also say seriously think outside the box and think of in depth, original ideas if you can. Luckily this is something I did really well under the exam pressure, but if your doing A2 english language your probably talented at this anyway. Allow yourself to expand on these ideas as well.

To be completely honest I can't really remember much about the lang change or variation (mostly because i left my revision until the day before as it was my last exam). I do remember a lot of it was regurgitated information but key is really weaving it in well into the text your given.

ReputationRep:
    What board are you doing? Im doing AQA Eng lang A. If your'e doing that or eng lang B, then this is a helpful account
    http://www.bethkemp.co.uk/
    Thank you so much! I'm doing A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    okay so main advice if i can remember:

-KILL A01. if your going to revise anything in detail make it all your clause names, names of different types of words and phrases, language devices etc. know them ALL. This is by far the easiest way to pick up marks and you can pick up A LOT with it, and all your doing is labelling. Even if your just calling the word 'the' a pronoun. Key is variety here too, try to include as many different examples as you can.

I would also say seriously think outside the box and think of in depth, original ideas if you can. Luckily this is something I did really well under the exam pressure, but if your doing A2 english language your probably talented at this anyway. Allow yourself to expand on these ideas as well.

To be completely honest I can't really remember much about the lang change or variation (mostly because i left my revision until the day before as it was my last exam). I do remember a lot of it was regurgitated information but key is really weaving it in well into the text your given.

Thanks alot! Yeah the pragmatics side is really important, i just worry sometimes that if i start to explain too much it will become like literature which of course isnt wanted..

If you do remember anything else of importance, do post here! Did you add alot of theorists in A2?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA A as well and I have such a rubbish English teacher he literally knows nothing 😭 If anyone has essay structures or notes would you mind sending these? Really wanna get an A 😰

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would I analyse the mode features of an Internet forum/website in depth?
    They are both blended mode with features if both the spoken and written mode in them.
    Both Asynchronous?
    Both are visual, right? Etc

Please help if you can!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying it's on my own, and was wondering if you could tell me what I need to know properly to get a good grade. What the MOST important things I should know?

Thanks

(Original post by may_1)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Who are the MAINNN theorists we should know for the langauge discourse side of the exam. Ive been revising all, but there seems to be looads. HELP! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiderslashes)
    Thank you so much! I'm doing A
    Loads of stuff on this blog about ENGA3 and both sections. Hope it's useful for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Who are the MAINNN theorists we should know for the langauge discourse side of the exam. Ive been revising all, but there seems to be looads. HELP! Thanks
    Probably Jean Aitchison and her three models - crumbling castle, damp spoon and infectious disease. Also good to know more about prescriptive and descriptive angles on language (find emagazine articles if you have a college/school subscription to it).

Other stuff here as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcbb)
    Ahhh finally people who are doing the same spec as me! I'm soooo confused by the questions this year. I'm so unsure what to revise so I've stuck to my revision guide which categorises it into 'Language Change' and 'Social Aspects of Language', am I on the right track here? It covers what we've been learning in lessons but I'm clueless as to what the questions will be like and when to bring in theorists etc. Please can someone help me out? What will Section A be on and what will Section B be on and how do I go about answering them? Thank you lovelys!!! X
    Do have a look at the past papers on the AQA website and the examiners reports!
    there's websites online too. i find these websites quite helpful:
    1- http://bethkemp.co.uk/index.html
    2- http://www.theenglishzone.org.uk/alevellang.html
    3- https://aggslanguage.wordpress.com/

ReputationRep:
    I have some really great detailed notes on Gender, Gender Representation and Bias within the Language, Political Correctness, Class, and nearly finished Age. Just need to do my notes on Global English, Sociolects and Accents and Dialects. I'm really struggling with Regional Accents and Dialects as a topic though and was wondering if anybody had any revision notes on this. I will be willing to share any of my other notes with you if so. All for the ENGA3 course.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No problem now guys I've got my head around it now, just a quick question however...
    I have revised my work on theorists for Regional Language/Accents/Dialects and have all of these Theorists...
    Strongman and Woosley, Howard Giles, Labov in New York and Martha's Vineyard, Lambert, Articles from the Guardian on Accent Reduction, Accent Convergence and Accent Divergence, Articles from The Observer on Attitudes to Regional Language, J.R Edwards, David Abercrombie, Trudgill in Norwich, Millroy in Belfast and Closed Networks, Clayton, Millroy and Gordon, Kerswill, Watt and Millroy, Moore, Eckert and McConnell-Ginet, Clark and Trousdale.

Does anybody have any other Linguists or Theorists I could add in to my notes?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know any websites that are good for extra reading required for A2??? For example, background knowledge on the 19th and 20th century when WW2 occured etc...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.