The Student Room Group

4756 OCR MEI FP2 22nd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

How much would 57-58/72 be?

I know everyone on here seems to have found it easy but general consensus may be otherwise

Potential boundary predictions?:redface:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
How much would 57-58/72 be?

I know everyone on here seems to have found it easy but general consensus may be otherwise

Potential boundary predictions?:redface:
Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR is the worst indicator of exam difficulty! If people on here are saying it was hard, it probably was. But if people are saying it was easy, it probably was average.

I think that mark will give you about 80UMS :smile:
Reply 202
Original post by sarcasmrules
I didn't mind M2 as much as FP3, personally. At least I actually finished my M2 script :tongue:

I'm with you on this one. Didn't even finish fp3 - it was a disaster. The differential geometry question was horrendous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
I'm with you on this one. Didn't even finish fp3 - it was a disaster. The differential geometry question was horrendous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully you recovered with today's paper :tongue:
Reply 204
Original post by sarcasmrules
Hopefully you recovered with today's paper :tongue:

And you too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan205
Did you get (0,1,3) rather than (4,1,3)?

No, my answer was completely mental but I didn't have time to fix it so I just rolled with it for follow through
Question 1 Circle one the trick is multiply both sides by r. The Maclaurin expansion came up TWICE in the past papers, I knew the answer before even attempting.

Question 2 Cos^5 x and cos5X came also came up MANY times before, They even tell you the answer for one of them. Finding roots is also standard, except they gave you nice numbers root2 and 0

Question 3. Find lambda nothing other than standard -1,0,7. I cannot see why many people did not get (4,1,3) You know the eigenvalue is 7 if you checked the previous 2 eigenvalues being correct, then you just set up 3 simultaneous equations, use 2 of them to find a and c, then validate answer with 3rd equation (don't want to sound harsh but this is GCSE stuff). The Cayley-Hamilton is also pretty simple with only 2 terms

Question 4 Identity is easy, divide both side by cosh^2 x will do. the integration requires some partial fraction but definitely came up before. The only trap here is +c (for 1st proof you need to have +c initially, then show x=0 y=0 =>c=0 otherwise a mark is lost. the last one simply don't forget to state +c for an easy mark, the question also asked to state in logs so don't say xartanhx, instead say x/2 * ln ((1+x)/(1-x)) + 1/2 ln(1-x^2) + c

I seem to be repeating myself, but this paper is full of easy recycled questions. People who spent efforts into past papers will surely find half the paper easily accessible. And there are no new question types so for each question most people will get it correct due to it being so straightforward, no twists and tricks. Expect 72/72 for full UMS. The grade boundary is going to be high
Original post by lizard54142
TSR is the worst indicator of exam difficulty! If people on here are saying it was hard, it probably was. But if people are saying it was easy, it probably was average.

I think that mark will give you about 80UMS :smile:

Not really, people in my school found OCR Chem hard but not that hard, and here they started a petition to gave everyone full marks and keeps crying how difficult it is. BBC even made an article Proof http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33102032 LEL

On the other hand, people in my school found FP2 pretty easy too.
Original post by AndyChow
Not really, people in my school found OCR Chem hard but not that hard, and here they started a petition to gave everyone full marks and keeps crying how difficult it is. BBC even made an article Proof http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33102032 LEL

This exam was more of a facepalm of silly mistakes than anything else in terms of absolute difficulty.

I'll have a high % in AS resits so a B overall would give me an A in Further.

Maybe 59/60 is an A probs?

I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

People on TSR are not a good representation of the student body, because we generally tend to be quite good at our subjects. So if we found an exam difficult, others are very likely to have found it extremely difficult, but if we are finding an exam easy, then the paper was likely to be of average difficulty to the general student (based on past papers).

Most of us found this exam relatively straightforward, so we can except average to high grade boundaries.
Really, why? :frown:

I think I'm pretty close. M2 was, say 80-ish. I think I got 95-100 in FP3, no-one corrected me on the thread and I matched all the answers everyone was saying. Same here, I think I got 95-100 again (I missed up the deduce Maclaurin question, somehow I got 2t - t^2, must've been a sign error, so that's 4 marks, say).

Too close to call.

I probably got;

M2: 72 :frown:
DE: 85
FP2: 98

so I think I've just missed it.
Original post by SH0405
I probably got;

M2: 72 :frown:
DE: 85
FP2: 98

so I think I've just missed it.

You never know, you could have done better than you thought!

Do you need an A* for uni?
You never know, you could have done better than you thought!

Do you need an A* for uni?

I've got the standard two different offers for Warwick;

A*AA + 1 (STEP) or A*A*A + 2. Who knows? It's all rather exciting. Which subject/uni are you going for again?
Original post by SH0405
I've got the standard two different offers for Warwick;

A*AA + 1 (STEP) or A*A*A + 2. Who knows? It's all rather exciting. Which subject/uni are you going for again?

Exactly the same as you!!

'Found FP2 pretty easy' lmao yeah right, no FP2 exam is 'easy' some may be more accessible than others but I wouldn't use easy to describe FP2! 😂

:smile: Probably won't see you there. St Andrews requires AAA, which I'm almost certain that I've achieved.

I've gotta get A*AA for Durham, quite pleased with that offer ☺️
Original post by SH0405
:smile: Probably won't see you there. St Andrews requires AAA, which I'm almost certain that I've achieved.

Isn't St. Andrews above Warwick for Maths... strange!

I might not have made my offer, STEP didn't go well. I need this A* in FM to have a chance.
Original post by chizz1889
I've gotta get A*AA for Durham, quite pleased with that offer ☺️

No idea why I didn't apply to Durham/Bath so I could put them as my insurance :angry: for some reason I decided Nottingham was a better choice. I guess I thought that A*AA was too high for an insurance.

Regretting it now though.
Isn't St. Andrews above Warwick for Maths... strange!

I might not have made my offer, STEP didn't go well. I need this A* in FM to have a chance.

In a few league tables it is yes - in the 2015 Guardian rankings, it was 1st (now 5th). Yes, STEP wasn't great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending