Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People thinking the 6 marker will be about a process, e.g. stars is laughable. It could be a 5 marker though.

They'll do a comparison/experiment 6 marker - have you taken anything away from any of the exams you've done so far?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjro)
    Absorption for alpha= skin/paper...travels up to 5cm in air
    Absorption for beta=Al sheet (5cm) or lead (2-3mm)...travels up to 1m in air
    Absorption for gamma= Lead (several cm) or thick concrete (1m)...range is infinite
    Thanks dont know how Im gonna remember that

ReputationRep:
    Been staring at my book for hours. I am going to flunk this ****. Cannot WAIT until these exams are over so I NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE PAIN OF PHYSICS AGAIN.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still stressing out for physics! Can't revise it as much as I'd like to tonight though because my drama exam's tomorrow and I'd rather focus on that as I'm actually doing it at college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olegasr)
    With people predicting that it will be a plan your own experiment type thing, it could be a question on how you can find out the centre of mass or how to find out focal length of a lens. I'd look over those two just in case I think.
    Finding the focal length of a lens? I haven't learned about that.

Would it be ok if you wrote down a brief example answer? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    Been staring at my book for hours. I am going to flunk this ****. Cannot WAIT until these exams are over so I NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE PAIN OF PHYSICS AGAIN.
    Haha, you must hate the subjects that i am taking for A-levels then!
    Bio, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths

ReputationRep:
    I hope there is a masssiveee section on cars in p2. Its so easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjro)
    That sounds dreadful though not all bad - I'm Bio, Chem, English Lang, English Lit (not combined because it's unbearable) and maths as a sub after college bc ive done further maths so I know the basics as I need maths at AS to get onto my medicine course. Wooo. Party.

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone give brief notes about:
    Teeminal velocity,
    Explosions and impact forces,
    ELECTRICITY ENTIRELY I DESPISE IT ENTIRELY, circuits and all,
    Nuclear reactions and then alpha beta gamma jazz,
    Fusion vs fission,
    Lenses ????? The eye ?????
    Hydraulics
    Electromagnets, the induction and the motor effect.

Basically everything. I am so bad at physics. It's like my Achilles heel but more evil. I'm going to fail so badly. Please help me

ReputationRep:
    I use https://www.goconqr.com it's got flash cards, tests, notes and mind maps already on there and available to use. It's been such a help considering my physics teacher is terrible. Just putting it out there if anyone is panicking because it's so last minute and they don't have enough time.

ReputationRep:
    Terminal velocity is the constant speed traveled by an object in a given direction. the resultant force acting on the object is 0

1) when an object falls in initially accelerates due to gravity
    2) as if falls the air resistance increases
    3) as it continues to fall the object's air resistance eventually equals its weight
    4) this means the resultant force is 0 and the object travels at a constant speed
    5) this speed is known as terminal velocity

opening a parachute (if its someone diving out of a plane) will lower the terminal velocity
    1) as the parachute is deployed the surface area increases meaning the air resistance increases greatly
    2) this means the object now experiences a large resultant force against the direction of motion
    3) as a result the object decelerates ( it does NOT move up)

4) this deceleration causes the air resistance to decrease until it equals the object's weight again
    5) this means the resultant force is 0 and the object travels at a lower constant speed
    6) a lower terminal velocity has therefore been reached

i hope this makes sense ( and i hope it is right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniMusic)
    P2 - stars probably or terminal velocity. Both would probably be okay, just have to proof read everything!

P3 - unfortunately for me, it'll probably be on the motor effect or transformers, which I kind of get, but just find hard to write logically about.

Good luck for everyone sitting it and happy revising
    what could they right about terminal velocity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Guys p2 question here: Does something with constant speed and veloctiy have a zero resultant force?
    indeed it does, if the sum of all forces acting upon an obejct is = to 0 then the object is either standing still or at a constant speed

ReputationRep:
    alpha: paper
    beta: aluminium foil
    gamma: thick bit of concrete/3-4cm of lead
    (Original post by thurs001.310)
    A thick metal plate will stop alpha and beta radiation but not gamma radiation. Is this right?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think there is one as such. the classic V=IR where i is current and R is resistance could hold some bearing? You gotta remember that a thermistor changes the current with the temperature
    (Original post by Samistrawberry)
    Hi, could you help me understand the effect temperature has on current.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjro)
    That and nuclear fission/fusion would be so easy!
    If it's on the pros and cons of fission and fusion then I'd be screwed. But anything on the process of fission and the chain reactions would be lovely.

ReputationRep:
    This is everything i know about lenses :
    Lenses form images by refracting light
    there are two types of lenses

1) converging (convex) lens
    - it is thin at the ends and thick in the middle
    - converging lens make parallel rays converge (focus at) a point called the principle focus

2) diverging (concave) lens
    - it is thick at the ends and thin in the middle
    - it makes parallel rays diverge (spread out) as if they came from a point called the principle focus

this part is more on image formation:

A real image is formed when light rays meet at a screen e.g. a cinema or projector
    A real image is always formed by a converging (convex) lens if the object is further away from the lens than the principle focus

NB the principle focus is the point where all rays traveling parallel to the principle axis before refraction, appear to come from or pass through after refraction
    NB the principle axis is the construction line that passes through and is parallel to the center of the lens

If the object is a long distance away from the converging lens then the image forms at the principle focus. this is because rays from any point are effectively parallel when they reach the lens
    if the object is moved closer to the lens then the screen has to be moved further away to produce a clear image
    the closer an object to the lens the larger the image
    real images on a ray diagram are the images that are formed on the opposite side of the lens to the object

A virtual image cannot be projected on a screen. A virtual image is formed when light rays appear to come from a point but the image can only be seen when you look into the lens on the opposite side of the object e.g. a mirror or magnifying glass
    A virtual image is always formed by a diverging lens
    it is also formed by a converging lens when the object is closer to the lens than the principle focus (this is how a magnifying glass works)

you also need to know how to construct ray diagrams but the website can help with that
    hope this helps (sorry if it confuses you further)
    I find it hard to learn about lenses without visual pictures so i think if you use bitesize it will help :
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...es/revision/3/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniMusic)
    P2 - stars probably or terminal velocity. Both would probably be okay, just have to proof read everything!

P3 - unfortunately for me, it'll probably be on the motor effect or transformers, which I kind of get, but just find hard to write logically about.

Good luck for everyone sitting it and happy revising
    Terminal velocity came up last year for p2, praying it won't come up again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueyy__)
    p3 i think 6 marker will be X-ray(and/or CT scan)/Ultrasound comparison or +/- OR center of mass
    Wasn't that last year's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjro)
    Actually not that bad. I know a handful of people who are taking the same A levels

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.