Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how may facs do you think on avergae we have to put in and historians interpreatations my teacher to put in a few numbers really stand out on the page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarcieT)
    i'm thinking part a being 'The new deal was the most significnat factor in improving society between 1933-45' any thoughts?
    The new deal is only for part B, they wouldn't ask it in section A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking part a being 'The new deal was the most significnat factor in improving society between 1933-45' any thoughts?
    No way that could be a part a if it was I'd walk out the exam hall. Could be a part b if thats what you meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Costello)
    No way that could be a part a if it was I'd walk out the exam hall. Could be a part b if thats what you meant
    sorry i meant part B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 491996)
    "The USA entered WW1 purely for economic reasons" How far do you agree with this statement?

Does anyone know how you would plan an answer to this??
    We won't get questions about America before 1917 or about their entry into WW1. We can be asked about the impact of the war on the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky___)
    The new deal is only for part B, they wouldn't ask it in section A

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry i meant Part B , but isnt part A about the New deal though aswell like in 2012 the supreme court nor other critics had an impact on the new deal?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think they could ask that question, more likely to be 'The impact of world war 1 was purely economic' how far do you agree?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ycullebanna)
    We won't get questions about America before 1917 or about their entry into WW1. We can be asked about the impact of the war on the economy.
    Thanks, I feel like WW1 is very likely to come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressedbrownboy)
    Guys someone give me points on what to use if the following essay came up for the 40 marker ;
    To what extent did Hoover elongate the Depression /Hoover's actions caused the Depression to worsen, how far do you agree?

We are ONE FAMILY ALL STRIVING TO SMASH THIS EXAM TOMORO, come on ppl lets do this together !
    BALANCING THE BUDGET: Only spending 3% of GNP compared to the 20% of the 1990s on Federal Spending. Lack of Federal Relief Programme as it would "unbalance the budget" - caused poverty and decreased disposable income which caused a lack of demand. Revenue Act of 1932 - increased max tax rates from 25% to 63% - took money out of people's pockets at the worst possible time and reduced liquidity from the already struggling market.

VOLUNTARISM: Hoover failed to involve the Federal Government in the Depression, instead seeking help from big businesses to freeze wages and not fire workers in order to better the economy. Shows how Hoover failed to acknowledge the severity of the Depression as, by 1930, US Steel broke this promise and had cut wages by 10%. By 1933, they had no full-time employees. Hoover's idea that maintaining the level of workers would help the economy was naive as it would only cause more overproduction as demand had fallen drastically. This again, severed the effects the Depression and caused later effective intervention on Hoover's part to be too little too late.

FAILURE TO AID BANKS: Hoover failed to help the banking crisis properly. He could not recognise the failure in the banking system and instead simply threw money at them instead of fixing their inherent flaws (lack of branch banking, corrupt owners, etc.) National Credit Corporation was a total failure and only $10 mil of its $500 mil budget was spent. However, he did have success it in the Reconstruction Finance Corporation in 1932. Roosevelt even carried this on.

TARIFFS: Hawley-Smoot essentially throttled international trade and was a turning point for the severing of the Depression. Imposed 42% tax on foreign goods which provoked economic nationalism. US export value fell from $5.2 bil in 1929 to only $2.1 bil in 1933. Shattered world trade and it stopped debt repayments coming into the USA as many countries entered economic failure. WAS A BIG CAUSE IN THE SEVERING OF THE DEPRESSION AS IT THREW THE WORLD ECONOMY INTO TURMOIL AND COUNTRIES SUCH AS GERMANY AND BRITAIN WERE DRAMATICALLY EFFECTED.

Overall: If you haven't already figured it out, Hoover's policies were very bad.

ReputationRep:
    how may facs do you think on avergae we have to put in and historians interpreatations my teacher to put in a few numbers really stand out on the page.
    quite a few, a lot of the marks come from facts and figures, however, for the 40 marker, remember that there is a lot more marks up for grabs from the source analysis!

ReputationRep:
    Is this correct:
    Causes of depression: Nature of Bull Market, Loss of confidence, Instability in the Market, banking system and international economic crisis.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i meant Part B , but isnt part A about the New deal though aswell like in 2012 the supreme court nor other critics had an impact on the new deal?
    In Part A we can be asked about Opposition to FDR/New Deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemarling)
    quite a few, a lot of the marks come from facts and figures, however, for the 40 marker, remember that there is a lot more marks up for grabs from the source analysis!
    For part A do we need historians viewpoints??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this correct:
    Causes of depression: Nature of Bull Market, Loss of confidence, Instability in the Market, banking system and international economic crisis.
    My paragraphs would be:

- Failed government policies (main cause)
    - Banking system
    - Unequal Distribution of Wealth
    - Wall Street Crash (more of a symptom than a cause)

Link the other paragraphs back to failed government policies to cement the fact that it was the main cause

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck to everyone sitting the exam tomorrow, it will all be over before you know it and then you can relax/start revising for other stuff PEACE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshH3)
    For part A do we need historians viewpoints??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha, god i hope not! my teacher never mentioned that. i think it's just a pretty standard essay, like last years. that's how im treating it anyway.

My system is mainly Point Evidence (with extra facts/figure), Explain

ReputationRep:
    Hi y'all.

If for a Question A I got the KKK for example (how impactful were the KKK) , would it be alright to do three paragraphs with three examples in each paragraph? So for example:

Political impact:

Six Governorships

Two Georgian Senators

Cost Al Smith the Democratic nomination

Cultural impact:

5 million members in 1925

The Birth of a Nation

Washington D.C march of 1928

Third Para-???

Heeelp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ycullebanna)
    In Part A we can be asked about Opposition to FDR/New Deal
    thanks so much that has narrowed down my last minute revision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky___)
    Here!
    This is so good! Well done! Was this a real question from an exam or a made up question?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, off for a last minute revision. Breathe. We'll be fine.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.